Monroe County, PA P25 Phase 1 system coming

Status
Not open for further replies.

smorris

WX3PMC/WQWZ815/MOPA-27
On June 24, 2019, the Monroe County Control Center announced that they have begun to install components of a P25 Phase 1 system. The new system will be UHF and have at least 7 sites. The new system will utilize current UHF frequencies. EMS, which is currently operating on VHF will be moved over to UHF as soon as Phase 1 comes fully online. While the Phase 1 system is being built up, EMS will need to purchase dual band radios to continue operating on VHF, then switch over when the time comes.

The MCCC currently has a UHF P25 conv multi-site channel on 460.2750MHz NAC 2C3. (P25 Inter-Op). That frequency was formerly used as the "Ave C"/"PD Tac". Not sure if they are doing away with Ave C. That channel is operating at 7 sites. The MCCC also has set up a VHF P25 conv single site channel on Camelback at 155.9550MHz with an unknown NAC. These two channels are to let field units get accustomed to using P25. There is also a third Phase 1 frequency listed in the ULS, however I'm not sure what that will be used for.

The new system will initially be Phase 1, however, the MCCC has a plan for a "slow grow" process to make it a Phase 2 system sometime in the future. It is my opinion that Monroe County can get along with a Phase 1 system and a Phase 2 system is a bit of an overkill. We'll have to see what happens. The largest hurdle with this project, will fall on financially strapped agencies and their need to purchase Phase 2 compatible radios. Police agencies will most likely be among the first, then EMS and finally fire and other misc agencies. Untill agencies get new equipment, the above mentioned channels will remain quiet, for now. Below are some links to documents the MCCC has published.

countywacker

Just to correct some of your above statements, EMS is NOT moving to UHF P25 phase 1 for operations. No where in the above documents does it say that.

What you called "Ave C" Which was actually called "Ave B" But most recently called"Tac Foxtown". It was never called Ave C.

The current Phase 1 system in place is for testings purposes only and will be integrated into the Phase 2 trunking system countywide. Once Phase 2, then system users will be aloud on it for use.

smorris

WX3PMC/WQWZ815/MOPA-27
Just to correct some of your above statements, EMS is NOT moving to UHF P25 phase 1 for operations. No where in the above documents does it say that.

What you called "Ave C" Which was actually called "Ave B" But most recently called"Tac Foxtown". It was never called Ave C.

The current Phase 1 system in place is for testings purposes only and will be integrated into the Phase 2 trunking system countywide. Once Phase 2, then system users will be aloud on it for use.

"Emergency Medical Services will need to procure“Dual Band” VHF & UHF mobiles or mobiles and portables. This is requiredto be compatible with our current VHF EMS radio network, and the new UHF P25 Network which EMS is included in. While equipment purchased later, after the transition, will no longer need to include VHF, it is strongly suggested you still purchase VHF capable dual band radios in order to remain compatible with the other County radio networks withinand outside oftheEastern PA EMS Region."

countywacker

I dont understand why you copied and past that. Again it says nothing about EMS transition to UHF Phase 1 for communications. There will be NO Phase 1 for routine communications. The current Phase 1 simulcast system is in place for TESTING purposes only.

smorris

WX3PMC/WQWZ815/MOPA-27
ALL EMS will be switching to UHF P25 trunking along with all other agencies when the system is complete. Don"t take my word for it, contact Gary Hoffman at the Monroe County Control Center.

countywacker

That's correct smorris, EMS WILL be moving to UHF Phase 2, NOT Phase 1 as you stated in the first post. I was just trying to clarify that for you.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Looking to upgrade my pro96 the phase I side is really crapy. Curious what everyone would suggest for the Monroe Co upgrade?
If you're planning way ahead, then you'll need something capable of decoding P25 Phase II as well as the ability to handle simulcast modulation. Currently your choices are a Uniden SDS100 or SDS200, or a Unication G series pager.

smorris

WX3PMC/WQWZ815/MOPA-27
That's correct smorris, EMS WILL be moving to UHF Phase 2, NOT Phase 1 as you stated in the first post. I was just trying to clarify that for you.
Sorry for the misunderstanding. Phase 1 can be conventional or trunking. Phase 2 is only trunking. I have been exchanging emails with Gary at the Ccontrol center. He says PD and Fire will be phase 1 trunking to start with. The system will be "slow grow" he says. Might be some time before they implement phase 2. I have heard from someone else that EMS will remain conventional VHF until they switch to phase 2. I'm not positive about that detail though.

I heard Gary and another control center staff member testing on 159.1350. The NAC for that channel is 3D4. Gary says they will allow EMS agencies to utilize a VHF P25 conventional channel for experimental and testing purposes while the phase 2 system is built up. According to Gary, some agencies already have phase 2 radios.

smorris

WX3PMC/WQWZ815/MOPA-27
Looking to upgrade my pro96 the phase I side is really crapy. Curious what everyone would suggest for the Monroe Co upgrade?
I just got a BCD996P2. I monitor PA STARNet and some other P25 stuff. We only have 7 tower sites in Monroe, so, I don't think simulcast distortion will be an issue. If you find it is a problem, you could get yourself a yagi and point it at the nearest tower.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
We only have 7 tower sites in Monroe, so, I don't think simulcast distortion will be an issue.
Simulcast distortion can be an issue with as few as 2 sites, and so 7 sites can very easily pose a significant challenge depending on the circumstances.

smorris

WX3PMC/WQWZ815/MOPA-27
Simulcast distortion can be an issue with as few as 2 sites, and so 7 sites can very easily pose a significant challenge depending on the circumstances.
My county is very large, 7 sites is not many at all. We have many ridges and valleys that prevent radio transmission from traveling very far. The Pocono’s are notorious for bad radio reception.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
My county is very large, 7 sites is not many at all. We have many ridges and valleys that prevent radio transmission from traveling very far. The Pocono’s are notorious for bad radio reception.
I'm very familiar with Monroe County and the topography. There is not going to be as much site-to-site isolation as you're making it out to be, even on UHF in that terrain. Remember, the system must be engineered so that there is enough overlap coverage between simulcast subsites to ensure seaming roaming and usable portable coverage.

smorris

WX3PMC/WQWZ815/MOPA-27
I'm very familiar with Monroe County and the topography. There is not going to be as much site-to-site isolation as you're making it out to be, even on UHF in that terrain. Remember, the system must be engineered so that there is enough overlap coverage between simulcast subsites to ensure seaming roaming and usable portable coverage.
That's a very good point. When PA rolled out OpenSky as the first gen PA STARNet, it was supposed to cover 95% of the state, it ended up covering much less than that. Here in Monroe, troopers at the old Swiftwater station, later Stroudsburg, ended up using the old VHF system half the time. Some troopers that were issued OpenSky radios, especially portables, simply refused to use them. The VHF P25 STARNet will be much improved. There will still be gaps, however. That's the nature of PA.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
I heard Gary and another control center staff member testing on 159.1350. The NAC for that channel is 3D4.
It appears that when you submitted the EMS repeater back in January, you reversed the output/input. I've submitted the correction along with the NAC.

Status
Not open for further replies.