Monroe County Sheriff / Rochester Police NAC's

Status
Not open for further replies.

mciupa

Database Admin
For those of you in the Rochester area, please have a look at the NAC's that are published in the database:

Monroe County, New York (NY) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

A user that is using Freescan says that the SO's and City police are not monitorable after importing from the RadioReference database.

If there are corrections to be made, I'll fix them .

Any Freescan troubleshooting ideas would be welcome, thanks. :)

nudave

Nothing has changed that I've noticed in regards to MCSO and RPD in at least a couple of months. When I notice a change, I send in a correction.

Nightjock

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I've noticed that when I download the Monroe County database into the software for my 396XT that it screws up the NACs. They seem to be correct in the database but when the software pulls them in it gets weird. My workaround is to correct them by hand or let the scanner find them on its own.

mciupa

Database Admin
I am resurrecting this thread as it seems that there is a bug in Freescan NAC downloading. It particularly affects Monroe County Law Enforcement.

I have reported it in Freescan's forum.
Bug: alpha characters of NAC not being downloaded

Please review your importing of NAC's and compare to the database to see that everything is in order.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
I found the same bug in Butel's ARC-XT Pro software, so if you use ARC software, please check your NAC's in there also.

witkowskipe

Premium Subscriber
It is threads like these that start thinking against buying a new scanner to monitor police and fire in my area, Monroe County. I was thinking of buying a PSR-500 and win500 software, will I experience the issues posed above?

witkowskipe

Premium Subscriber
Would any of you Rocheser folks be willing to help me out if I run into problems, I can't imagine that I would need to change much after initial setup and supposedly the software and radioreference import make it pretty straightforward from what I can tell? I don;t want to be a full fledged ham operator, I just want to monitor what I used to be able to before the systems changed to digital.

witkowskipe

Premium Subscriber
I was wondering how long my posts would be subject to moderator review before they showed up as I am a new member.

I live in Greece, if I run into problems I would really appreciate a little help understanding what I am doing with the software and the scanner pertaining to the new digital trunking stuff which seems like black magic to me at this point. Thanks, I think I will order it now.

D

DaveNF2G

Monroe County is not trunked, only digital. That should remove one whole layer of complication. (Although P25 trunked systems are about the easiest to set up in a scanner.)

witkowskipe

Premium Subscriber
So in this instance...you are saying it is just one frequency with no talk groups? I thought P25 implied trunking...please be patient with me, I am trying to learn this.

KUJ763
RM
2CF NAC
Towns West
Towns West (Gates, Greece)
P25
Law Dispatch

k2hz

Database Admin
So in this instance...you are saying it is just one frequency with no talk groups? I thought P25 implied trunking...please be patient with me, I am trying to learn this.

KUJ763
RM
2CF NAC
Towns West
Towns West (Gates, Greece)
P25
Law Dispatch

P25 can be either trunked or conventional. Monroe County is conventional so you just enter each specific frequency that you want to monitor. If you do the import of the data, I understand the only issue is that the NAC for each channel may be corrupted by some programming software. The NAC is "2CF" in your example and I believe some software does not like the alpha charachters "CF" and may change them to something else. Most systems used all numeric NACs so this bug only shows up with system like Monroe that use alpha-numeric NACs. The solution is simply to look up the correct NAC and change it in your scanner if it did not import correctly.

The NAC is equivalent to the PL/DPL in analog systems. Its use in you scanner is optional but, if you scanner supports it, use of the NAC/PL/DPL feature eliminates hearing interference from other systems on the same frequency.

D

DaveNF2G

Most systems used all numeric NACs so this bug only shows up with system like Monroe that use alpha-numeric NACs. The solution is simply to look up the correct NAC and change it in your scanner if it did not import correctly.

NAC are hexadecimal, so the characters A through F are necessary parts of many of them. I am not aware of any scanners (or systems) that use decimal NACs.

mciupa

Database Admin
NAC are hexadecimal, so the characters A through F are necessary parts of many of them. I am not aware of any scanners (or systems) that use decimal NACs.

Well, there is the default NAC of 293 used by some agencies. In Toronto, Canada for instance, the Detectives use 860.6625 (293 NAC).

bigcam406

i programmed Monroe County Sheriff and RPD on my PSR500 by hand,once you get the hang of it,its pretty easy.plus it helps you understand the workings of the scanner better imo.all of my systems that i listen to were done this way.

D

DaveNF2G

Well, there is the default NAC of 293 used by some agencies. In Toronto, Canada for instance, the Detectives use 860.6625 (293 NAC).

Yes, that is 293 hex. It would be 659 in decimal.

w2csx

Premium Subscriber
I am resurrecting this thread as it seems that there is a bug in Freescan NAC downloading. It particularly affects Monroe County Law Enforcement.

I have reported it in Freescan's forum.
Bug: alpha characters of NAC not being downloaded

Please review your importing of NAC's and compare to the database to see that everything is in order.

You used to be able to download through freescan with no problems, then something happen to the data base where now you have to do things manually.

Status
Not open for further replies.