Monroe County VHF

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdale

Bedford Township Fire has been advised that the VHF fire frequency will be changing from 154.430 to 159.??? effective 8/31/06. Indications are there will be dramatic improvement in coverage and reception. Presuming there will be simulcast for a time until all pagers and remaining VHF portables can be changed. It's been a while since we first heard of this happening, does anyone have more specific information regarding the frequency and timing and logistics?

jgarber311

W8CEN
Monroe

I believe the new VHF paging channel is 159.090 as listed in RR. I have heard that it is operational, however I can't verify that personally as I live in Ottawa County, Ohio.
Hope this helps some....

Jamie KB8TTR

bvankl

Premium Subscriber
bvankl

Yes, the new freq is 159.090. The testing will start this week. As for a time table, im not sure what that will be.

Thunderbolt

Global Database Administrator
I understand that the radio techs were working on the 159.090 MHz transmitters yesterday afternoon. When all of the old pagers are recrystaled, or the new pagers are procured, operations on 154.430 MHz in Monroe County will be phased out. Several departments will still use the old frequency for mutual aid with Lenawee County.

If anyone has the older Plectron type receivers, you can send them into Wallace Radio, Inc., located in Xenia, Ohio and they can give you quote on how much it will cost to convert your radio over to the new freq.

73's

Ron

KB8UYC

Premium Subscriber
159.090 is indeed the new frequency. No PL for now. Frequency is up and in the testing stages, and all the mintors are being re-programmed. I am not going to say when they will officially start using the new frequency, I'll leave that to the one that is doing all the work, but it will be this month.

pdale

I've been hearing tone-outs on both 154.43 and 159.09 much of the day and 159.09 seems to be all that was promised regarding coverage. I'm not sure what tower(s) are involved, but it seemed to be getting at least a few miles into Ohio.

MONROEUSER

Hello all. I was one of the guys out with a pager doing the testing. The coverage is a ton better. I was in Toledo picking up some equipment and my pager activated while inside of a store south of Alexis. I am happy with that part. The 159.090 has some interference from New Baltimore Police in Ohio. Also we got a call today from a Fire Department in Southern Indiana that said we were blowing them off the air last night!!! We are going to put a recieving P.L. on asap.

The reason for the duplicate paging on each frequency is the dispatcher will not know whose pagers are converted so instead of trying to keep track and risking a page not going out we are just having them do it on both. HOPEFULLY after the P.L. is added we will get a permanent patch on. I am working very hard on that. That way all the guys without 800 radios can still hear what is going on.

VolCapt

MONROEUSER said:
HOPEFULLY after the P.L. is added we will get a permanent patch on. I am working very hard on that. That way all the guys without 800 radios can still hear what is going on.

Will mutual aid departments be able to contact Central Dispatch on this new frequency?

Since the switchover to 800 we have on occasion tried to call on 154.430 and received no response.

KB8UYC

Premium Subscriber
They must have got there PL tone then!

Also, when toning the departments, the tones go out on ALL 4 of the towers at the same time. I believe that they do have the option of selecting which tower if they need to. Great Job Jeremy!

Thunderbolt

Global Database Administrator
MONROEUSER said:
We are going to put a recieving P.L. on asap.

I don't know of any other user that transmits 118.8 Hz for a tone on 159.090 MHz. North Baltimore, Ohio PD/DPW uses the same frequency, but I believe their PL tone is 156.7 Hz? Therefore, it might be possible to use 118.8 Hz, or even 85.4 Hz, as the countywide standard PL tone?

73's

Ron

Last edited:

MONROEUSER

No agencies other than Central Dispatch at this time will be licensed to transmit on 159.090. If you are concerned about how you would contact Monroe for mutual aid, I would like to hear from you off list to see what we can do or contact the Dispatch Director ok?

rjschall

JJ have they figured out how and when we will be able to transmit over that frequency like when we need to re-tone ourselves out? Has that issue been solved since we talked last?

Status
Not open for further replies.