Monroe County

Status
Not open for further replies.

d_strong

Has anyone heard anything new about Monroe County's new P-25 system. I know they are suppose to be using the same frequencies as the current system. I havent heard a start up date yet. The new narrowband fire channels are suppose to be active next month. Any information regarding this would be helpful. Thanks 73s

6m171

Haven't seen any new radios in the cars yet.

BTW, the switch for the main fire and EMS frequencies has been delayed for about a year.

d_strong

New DPL/PL tones

I found this information on the Monroe County website last night. Fire-1,Fire-5,and EMS-295 have already switched to the new DPL tones. The rest of the channels are still using the current PL tones. I have heard traffic on the three channel that are using the new DPL tones. Has anyone heard any activity on these new frequencies yet. Thanks 73s

http://www.monroecounty.gov/safety-psc.php

Channel Name Frequency Current PL New DPL / PL Channel Use

Fire - 1 154.1300 179.9 131 City Fire Dispatch
Fire - 2 154.2500 179.9 261 County Fire Ch:2
Fire - 3 154.3850 179.9 365 County Fire working - East
Fire - 4 154.1750 179.9 466 County Fire working - West
Fire - 5 154.3100 179.9 506 County Fire Dispatch

EMS - 295 155.2950 186.2 265 County EMS Dispatch
EMS - 175 155.1750 186.2 172 County EMS mutual aid

OPS BATT 1 154.1075 031 OPS 1 - BATT 1
OPS BATT 2 155.2575 074 OPS 2 - BATT 2
OPS BATT 3 156.2325 047 OPS 3 - BATT 3
OPS BATT 4 155.0025 065 OPS 4 - BATT 4
OPS BATT 5 155.3175 223 OPS 5 - BATT 5
OPS BATT 6 155.3925 245 OPS 6 - COMMON

VCALL 155.7525 156.7 Nation wide inter-agency
VTAC 1 151.1375 156.7 Nation wide inter-agency
VTAC 2 154.4525 156.7 Nation wide inter-agency
VTAC 3 158.7375 156.7 Nation wide inter-agency

Last edited:

6m171

The DPL codes on Fire 1-5, 295, and 175 are being transmitted by the 911 Center. As a rule, in order to communicate with the dispatchers and other units in the field, the units in the field must still be CSQ on the receive side.

The six ops frequencies are available to all fire and EMS agencies in the County, but see little use at this time. Most agencies still use their own channels. They see the most use during large incidents or for special events.

The Fire and EMS Communications Board recently decided to hold off on changing the dispatch frequencies to narrowband until the new paging system is up and running 100% and certified. At this point, they're saying September 2007.

The infrastructure is already in place to switch to P25 on the LE side. They need to get all of the cars switched over before they throw the switch.

AlexC

Database Admin
Careful on the definition of P25. From what I understand - they are simply going IMBE - they are not going trunked.

Word on the street is that there will be some discussion about if it will be 100% encrypted or not.... that's TBD. I don't forsee them spending the money, but it's is monroe county...

Fire/EMS - that'll probably never go digital. They are still crying about the whole narrow band bull****.

City Fire is Narrowband though - that changeover is complete.

Correct me if I'm wrong - but they usually don't use car radios.... almost everyone uses their portables that I know. They do have some old GE radios in the cars.

I don't know if they'd throw the switch for both RPD and MCSO at the same time. It's all run by the same folks.

-Alex

D

DaveNF2G

Police officers in Monroe County have both car radios and portables. Just check out the feedback when they forget to switch channels. :) You can also often hear the other radio in the background receiving a different channel when they transmit.

I know the police in that area would probably prefer total encryption. Monroe County official types seem to be very secretive. But, as you said, I don't think the taxpayers will foot the bill. They could have had encryption when they were analog and the only units that ever used any were STFS, but most tactical operations were simplex and in the clear.

AlexC

Database Admin
DaveNF2G said:
Police officers in Monroe County have both car radios and portables. Just check out the feedback when they forget to switch channels. :) You can also often hear the other radio in the background receiving a different channel when they transmit.

I know the police in that area would probably prefer total encryption. Monroe County official types seem to be very secretive. But, as you said, I don't think the taxpayers will foot the bill. They could have had encryption when they were analog and the only units that ever used any were STFS, but most tactical operations were simplex and in the clear.

The only people that I know of that really use encryption are the HAZMAT team, and radio center. Hazmat seems to use MTS portables, so they are still using analog securenet.

I don't hear that feedback issue all that often on Sherriff's 1. If I ask a dispatcher I'm sure he'd probably say it doesn't really happen/not a problem.

The county has good portable level coverage that you can be most anywhere and still hit if not hear something.

I'm sure those guys will welcome a change from the MT1000's. Next time I'm up in the area, i'll have to make sure I have an XTS with me to hear some of the audio.

If they do go crypto, they will most assurably end up with AES-256.

D

DaveNF2G

I don't hear that feedback issue all that often on Sherriff's 1. If I ask a dispatcher I'm sure he'd probably say it doesn't really happen/not a problem.

Try the City channels. The officers there have one radio on the primary and the other on the admin for their side of the city. Occasionally, one of those radios gets switched to car-to-car, or the portable goes on the admin channel when the officer is out of the car. If they don't switch back before making another transmission, then there will be feedback. When I was dispatching, I got plenty of earpiece-fulls of squealing. :)

AlexC

Database Admin
There should be a hazmat channel for other agnecies to use, however, the one for their specific operations is more than likly on a restricted "need to know" list due to the potential situations they may encounter (hense the encryption).

I want to say FIRE-6 is Hazmat, but I'm not 100% sure - never really hear any activity on it.

-Alex

Status
Not open for further replies.