Monroe, MI - Surcharge hike, millage proposed to fund 911

Status
Not open for further replies.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Perhaps I've lived too sheltered a life but I've never heard of a separate charge for 911 calls. Admittedly, I'm in the South and perhaps things are different down here. Here, there is a monthly fee (a dollar per phone line, I think) added to the phone bill to help finance 911 operations. The per-call fee might deter people from reporting activity they see while they're driving or even walking. I would think that a singe fee collected by he service provider and paid to the government on a regular basis would be simpler way to collect the revenue.

If I'm not mistaken, 911 calls are actually routed to a regular phone number that is not generally publicized. What happens if the person calls that phone number instead? Either call goes to the 911 center and on most systems, the call-taker has no idea which phone number the caller dialed. I usually dial the non-911 number from my cell phone so the phone is not "locked" to maintain the connection to 911 for a certain period of time (I don't use a landline at home anymore.)

mikey60

This is a surcharge added to the monthly bill for any phone (cell or landline) that is billed in Monroe County. While the article mentions a $.42 per 911 call, I think that is an error in the reporting.

Mike

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
This is a surcharge added to the monthly bill for any phone (cell or landline) that is billed in Monroe County. While the article mentions a $.42 per 911 call, I think that is an error in the reporting.

Mike

......which I guess is the reason I've never heard of it.

drdispatch

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
Premium Subscriber
Perhaps I've lived too sheltered a life but I've never heard of a separate charge for 911 calls. Admittedly, I'm in the South and perhaps things are different down here. Here, there is a monthly fee (a dollar per phone line, I think) added to the phone bill to help finance 911 operations. The per-call fee might deter people from reporting activity they see while they're driving or even walking. I would think that a singe fee collected by he service provider and paid to the government on a regular basis would be simpler way to collect the revenue.

If I'm not mistaken, 911 calls are actually routed to a regular phone number that is not generally publicized. What happens if the person calls that phone number instead? Either call goes to the 911 center and on most systems, the call-taker has no idea which phone number the caller dialed. I usually dial the non-911 number from my cell phone so the phone is not "locked" to maintain the connection to 911 for a certain period of time (I don't use a landline at home anymore.)
Pretty much everywhere it's a monthly surcharge. In Michigan there are actually 2 separate charges; one levied by the state and another that is levied by the individual counties.
Calls to 9-1-1 are routed over special trunks to the PSAP. Our center recently switched our 9-1-1 trunks over to "Esinet", ie Internet Protocol, which makes us Next-Gen 9-1-1 ready. This gives us the capability to receive images and video with a text-to-9-1-1 call, once that becomes available.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Pretty much everywhere it's a monthly surcharge. In Michigan there are actually 2 separate charges; one levied by the state and another that is levied by the individual counties.
Calls to 9-1-1 are routed over special trunks to the PSAP. Our center recently switched our 9-1-1 trunks over to "Esinet", ie Internet Protocol, which makes us Next-Gen 9-1-1 ready. This gives us the capability to receive images and video with a text-to-9-1-1 call, once that becomes available.

Impressive!

MetroMike

The 911 surchage is one charge I don’t mind paying, and one I hope I never see a return on (meaning, I hope I’m not the one in need). E-911 equipment is expensive; not only at the dispatch center but many counties also use the surchage to foot the bill for their LMR equipment.

Small price to pay, in my (very) humble opinion.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
The 911 surchage is one charge I don’t mind paying, and one I hope I never see a return on (meaning, I hope I’m not the one in need). E-911 equipment is expensive; not only at the dispatch center but many counties also use the surchage to foot the bill for their LMR equipment.

Small price to pay, in my (very) humble opinion.

Agreed 100%

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
One thing though hopefully they don't pull what Genesee county did where they had a millage. Once ok'd they have had plans to encrypt and no where did they of course mention this in their proposals!
Campaign to raise surcharge for Genesee County 911 underway | MLive.com
"The option to increase the $1.24 surcharge per phone line per month to $1.86 will appear on the ballot for Genesee County voters May 2."

See https://forums.radioreference.com/m...um/358344-genesee-county-fully-encrypted.html

Status
Not open for further replies.