Montana Wildlife Tracking Collar Frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

topgun260

Does anyone have any confirmed Fish and Game wildlife tracking collar frequencies for northwestern Montana?

SM166

over the years i have asked the same thing - just got back from Yellowstone last week saw Elk with a collar and tried with my AOR no joy
and during summer visits of the past 12 years i have seen Photographers using simlar radios, in WY MT ID
and on national geographic / wolfs shows; ranchers are seen using AOR radios to track wolf and the like ; THEY have the freq's why not the rest of us

thunderbuntu

from what i remember, those, especially wolf collars, are federally classified to protect from poaching. thats not to say they cant be found though. just not going to be published anywhere.

topgun260

Thanks guys.

I have found information that some of the collars are in the 150-154 Mhz range. That being said I have never found any. There are GPS collars out there that send the actual coordinates of the animal but they are expensive and few are in use from the article I read. My guess is that the short burst of data at a relatively low power level in mountainous terrain will make them tough to receive.

KI7JOM

Other possible frequencies

I have found beeping transmitters in the upper band ranges. They were between 900 and 930 MHz FM. I was travelling over SR20 (in north central Washington) when I picked up a beeper. It sounded just like the ones you hear on TV. I presume it was a Cougar or Bear collar, since those are the two most commonly tracked animals in Washington. Lots of nuisance bears are collared and relocated there.

Status
Not open for further replies.