Monterey County New Radio system

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those of you that live in Monterey County or near I found a PDF file with alot of info on the new system

After Reading it I was shock that sixty percent of most of the radios use by public safety in Monterey County are discontinued and cannot be converted to narrow band. And Most of it is in poor condition!

If you have some time it's a good read.

http://www.co.monterey.ca.us/iss/NGENtaskforce020706.pdf

cristisphoto

ScannerDude244 said:
For those of you that live in Monterey County or near I found a PDF file with alot of info on the new system

After Reading it I was shock that sixty percent of most of the radios use by public safety in Monterey County are discontinued and cannot be converted to narrow band. And Most of it is in poor condition!

Thanks for the PDF!!!
Yeah doesn't surprise me, hey its the government...
Lazy, cheap, and/or understaffed LOL
I live in Frisco
and yesterday It took dang 7 to 8 minutes to reach a 911 operator...
A month ago the same thin close to ten minutes and I had t re dial
ARRRGH
Yeah when your dealing with any form of the USA Government expect drama...
Anyhows
Hope you guys have a safe and peaceful day...
Crista

scankid2591 said:
Is it gonna be the VHF Trunked for sure or are they still deciding?

Well from sound of it they went with 2 option Simulcas and Trunking. after reading it Trunking is the only way to go

Also 800mhz wouldn't do good here with over 3,000 square miles on the central coast of California that would cost way to much.

Simulcas:
The major disadvantage of a simulcast system is the cost of implementing and
maintaining the high-precision timing and frequency control equipment and site-to-site
links. In addition, simulcast systems can be difficult to optimize and maintain in
adjustment to minimize zones of interference, with the difficulty increasing as the
number of sites increases. The received audio may have a distorted sound in the
overlapping interference zones, so the system designers generally try to locate thosezones in unpopulated areas. Modern simulcast technology has generally reduced these
problems to manageable proportions and many public safety simulcast systems are now
in operation throughout the United States.

Trucking:
A trunking system offers many advantages. One of the biggest advantages is system
capacity, in terms of both the volume of calls and the number of virtual channels (or talk
groups) the system can support. Because channels are assigned on demand in real time,
they are utilized much more efficiently than in a conventional (non-trunked) system.
Many more calls can be “packed” into the same channel allocation. Talk groups are no
longer tied to physical channels, so many more talk groups can be accommodated,
including temporary talk groups created “on the fly” for special situations.
A trunked system’s large call volume and talk group capacity also enables multiple
agencies to share the same system as well as interoperate with each other. In Monterey
County, for example, many or all of the law enforcement and fire agencies might share a
common system with not only each other but with other non-public safety agencies. Talk
groups could be organized to provide a multi-layered mutual aid communications
structure compliant with the Incident Command System

Another major advantage of trunking systems is reliability. The loss of a single
transmitter, or even an entire site in a multi-site system, would not necessarily disable any
talk group. A further advantage is the ability to organize trunking systems for wide-area coverage.One approach is to use the trunking controller to automatically re-assign frequencies to units as they move between repeater coverage areas

Last edited:

cristisphoto

scankid2591 said:
Well... Monterey county isn't exactly the most wealthy county...
\\Tru there
thoiugh I imagine richer than most

AND if SF is the World Capital with all its comm probems
then you could imagine what Moterey Conuty experiences..
Anyhhow I do hope the best for them as it is folks lives at risk
Regards
Crista

Status
Not open for further replies.