Monterey county rearrange their frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.
In an effort to conform to the undocumented convention of placing repeater output frequencies in
the VHF high band on the low side of a transmit/receive pair, in 2011 the County of Monterey filed for
license modifications to implement this convention. By doing so, the County anticipated that the radio
infrastructure would place it in a situation to reduce frequency confusion and possible interference issues
with other agencies. Funding and sites have been approved for this effort and
Goal
The users have agreed to fully support the changes mandated by narrow banding and the program to
rearrange the frequencies in a more compatible fashion. While most of the equipment is in place, the
inversion of the mobile relay frequencies is a very difficult transition due to the complexity of scheduling,
programming and installation of the radio equipment. This has made the original one year implementation
phase of critical concern.
Each County agency will have to be handled independently of the others. For instance, the Sheriff’s
office with their 500 radios, pose a major difficulty. The existing radios will have to be reprogrammed to
work with the inverted frequencies while not affecting communications as the repeaters are installed or
retuned.
There are 1300 mobile radios involved in this effort plus another 2500 portables throughout the
County and the cities therein.
While ordered in a timely fashion, the vendor for base stations has delayed delivery of their products
by 6 to 9 months due to being a victim of counterfeit components that adversely affect their operation and
reliability. This is beyond our control and has resulted in unanticipated delays.
Waiver Request
As has been shown, the County of Monterey must, and hereby does, request a waiver for the
construction deadline as listed on the applicable licenses to address this most daunting task.

FYI I no link it's the FCC site

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Hmm, last I read, MoCo was looking at 700MHz. Did they finally realize that was going to cost them too much, or are they sticking with VHF until they can get the 700MHz system up? Seemed like trying to cover a county that large and with very diverse terrain on 700 was going to be a huge undertaking. Same reason Santa Cruz County is staying on VHF for the foreseeable future.

Hmm, last I read, MoCo was looking at 700MHz. Did they finally realize that was going to cost them too much, or are they sticking with VHF until they can get the 700MHz system up? Seemed like trying to cover a county that large and with very diverse terrain on 700 was going to be a huge undertaking. Same reason Santa Cruz County is staying on VHF for the foreseeable future.

They are sticking with a VHF system and 700mhz and analog conventional. They only have a year left till narrow banding. They won't make out the deadline making the new system with one year. So they have no choice to narrow band and might as well rearrange the frequencies at the same time.

This link MIGHT work

It should point to a pdf file attached to about 40 mod applications

Thanks KMA367!

Last edited:

car5le

Premium Subscriber
Just so I'm clear, Monterey is not going to a VHF P25 Trunked system for the county, and then a 700MHz P25 Trunked system for the small agencies? They are staying on their conventional analog channels, just narrow banding them?

Just so I'm clear, Monterey is not going to a VHF P25 Trunked system for the county, and then a 700MHz P25 Trunked system for the small agencies? They are staying on their conventional analog channels, just narrow banding them?

The system will consist of a P25IP trunked VHF network with a conventional analog system overlay. In addition, Harris also will deploy a P25IP trunked 700 MHz sub-system to meet the County's specified requirements within both the City of Salinas and the Monterey Peninsula Area.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...-in-monterey-county-california-111519089.html

The waiver above is different from the system they have to narrow band by next year. So they are going to narrow band and rearrange for now till they deploy the new system.

Last edited:

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
OK that makes a heck of a lot more sense than the 700MHz that I originally read about. Santa Cruz county is playing around with the idea of moving some of the city PD's to 800MHz to free up VHF pairs for future Fire and Sheriffs Office expansion. I'm going to give them 6 of my old 800MHz MSF5000 when I transition to NexEdge next month.

LowBat

Premium Subscriber
OK that makes a heck of a lot more sense than the 700MHz that I originally read about. Santa Cruz county is playing around with the idea of moving some of the city PD's to 800MHz to free up VHF pairs for future Fire and Sheriffs Office expansion. I'm going to give them 6 of my old 800MHz MSF5000 when I transition to NexEdge next month.
Santa Cruz is one of the few remaining counties that has true interoperability as everyone (county sheriff, city police agencies, county fire, state cal fire, county medical) is on VHF. One inexpensive analog radio can be programmed to handle any and all nearby allied agencies as needed. It would be sad to see that ability disappear as other counties are discovering with their new multi-million dollar whistle and bell radio systems. Perhaps the sheriff could first look into trunking as a possible solution for expansion before losing the ability to communicate with local police departments by making them switch to an entirely different bandwidth.

hmmm, I remember reading awhile back about them going 700mhz p25 and Scotts Valley PD staying along NB

Status
Not open for further replies.