Montgomery Co. Sheriff

Status
Not open for further replies.

AHtrunking

Hey RR,

So I recently picked up a BCD436HP as i'm looking to monitor MCSO and VFD out in the Pike Road area. With the stock antenna i've been picking up traffic as far away as Millbrook fairly clear. Autauga Sheriff is pretty clear traffic as well. My problem is in the past 3 days i've yet to hear any traffic from the Montgomery Co. Sheriff dispatch. Any idea why?

Thanks for any assistance. I haven't had a scanner since probably 2008 so i'm kind of in an old dog new trick situation.

medic9351301

Banned
he said the sheriff not montgomery city pd . Unless something has changed the sheriff is NOT ENC.

it could be that the sheriff is not connecting to the tower your montoring. i would recomend trying the mmccd simulcast site then the pine level and red level sites , a bcd43hp is not really a good scanner for simulcast systems. it might work and it might not work . i went to selema the back way through the gump and i rx either the pine level or redlevel site . till i got to craig afb . i am thinking the sheriff is just not connecting to the tower ur using .

wwhitby

Feed Provider
The SO isn't encrypted. In fact, the Sheriff has said in the past they will not go encrypted!

I've been to Pike Road a couple of times in the last two weeks and I found that I couldn't reliably pick up the Pine Level tower until I got south of Vaughn Road and closer to the Pine Level area. And that was using a 3 db gain antenna on my car. I had no problem picking up the Pine Level tower between Pike Road and US-231. Once I could pick up the tower, I had no problems monitoring the SO and VFD.

If you go to the link above, I recommend programming the Pine Level and Red Level tower frequencies in your 436. Program in all of them, since they can all be control channels in a Harris system. I've had no luck monitoring the Simulcast site - I need a Unication for that.

Let us know what happens.

Edit: You can also listen to Pike Road VFD on 460.625 with a PL (CTCSS) tone of 192.8. There's also a Fireground frequency they use called "Statewide" but I haven't been close enough to figure that one out.

RadioJonD

Exalted Nabob
At the hairdresser's, past the liquor store.

Edit: You can also listen to Pike Road VFD on 460.625 with a PL (CTCSS) tone of 192.8. There's also a Fireground frequency they use called "Statewide" but I haven't been close enough to figure that one out.

Most likely 453.750 MHz simplex . Though that has been associated with landing medical helicopters in the data base here, it has been the statewide UHF Fire Common & fireground frequency since the eighties. 453.750 MHz is mostly licensed trough the Alabama Forestry Commission's UHF radio networks for rural/volunteer fire departments.

AHtrunking

Thanks guys. Turns out I'm just north of Vaughn so maybe it is just a reception issue. I took it on the road and was able to pick up more communication from MCSO but it was sparse. I will try and just program the Pine Level and Red Level sites and see if there is any change. When monitoring the "full database" it seems when I do pick up MPD dispatch or MCSO it's always Bald Knob site.

Provoice upgrade isn't going to change anything for me, I assume?

wwhitby

Feed Provider
Most likely 453.750 MHz simplex . Though that has been associated with landing medical helicopters in the data base here, it has been the statewide UHF Fire Common & fireground frequency since the eighties. 453.750 MHz is mostly licensed trough the Alabama Forestry Commission's UHF radio networks for rural/volunteer fire departments.

Thanks Jonathan! I'll put it in and see what I can pick up.

Thanks guys. Turns out I'm just north of Vaughn so maybe it is just a reception issue. I took it on the road and was able to pick up more communication from MCSO but it was sparse. I will try and just program the Pine Level and Red Level sites and see if there is any change. When monitoring the "full database" it seems when I do pick up MPD dispatch or MCSO it's always Bald Knob site.

Provoice upgrade isn't going to change anything for me, I assume?

It sounds like the same reception issues that I had. I had better luck down around the Pike Road Intermediate School and further south on 85. A base antenna might help, or a beam focused at the tower. I suspect that the Ray Thorington Road tower from the Simulcast system is what is would work best north of Vaughn, but you would need an SDS100 or 200, or a Unication G4 or G5 to monitor that Simulcast tower.

The ProVoice upgrade won't be of much help. They switched from ProVoice to P25 several years ago.

I didn't try to monitor the Bald Knob site from your location, but its good to know that you can pick it up there!

medic9351301

Banned
warren to the rescue lol.
good catch on the 2 stand alone sites. the 436 should work fine on them 2 sites.
like i said i went to selema a couple of years ago and carried a stand alone site to craig afb . i cant remb which site it was though , i went 65 south then past the airport . maybe eastern bypass

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.