Montgomery County & DC Metro

Status
Not open for further replies.

KK4HG

Premium Subscriber
I have just moved back to the area after a 14 year hiatus. A scanner purchase is looming but I'm not sure what the area now has to offer. Should I get a digital or analog? I have had both the PSR400 and 600 and liked them both but don't want to spend the extra dollars for digital if it is not necessary...

Dewey

If you want to listen to MoGo FD/PD or DC PD/FD, you will need a digital.

EDIT: PG is supposedly moving to their new 700 system early next month... you may want to see how that's going to go (I don't think the older digitals like the Pro-96 will track their new system).

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Yeah, the PRO96/2096 users are going to be SOL insofar as that system is concerned. The PSR500, 600, RS PRO-106, 197, Uniden BC396XT, 996XT, 396T and 996 are your choices if you are interested in trunking in 700 mhz.

Our wiki has extensive articles on each of these scanners. Go to the blue toolbar under the Scanner Master logo and float your mouse over Wiki then select Radio Models. Select Digital Trunktrackers in the writeup, then click on the model number of the scanner you wish to investigate.

73 Mike

KK4HG

Premium Subscriber
I have just moved back to the area after a 14 year hiatus. A scanner purchase is looming but I'm not sure what the area now has to offer. Should I get a digital or analog? I have had both the PSR400 and 600 and liked them both but don't want to spend the extra dollars for digital if it is not necessary...

Thanks for the input, guys but I am still a bit confused...RR lists the Mont. Cty. freqs as analog but I hear nothing when listening to 800mHz. control freqs on an analog receiver. This receiver may not be narrow enough.

So, you say all of Montgomery County is 700mHz. digital? Why doesn't the RR database reflect this or am I doing something wrong...sorry to be so stupid!!

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I suspect you are getting confused with the various systems - and there are many of them - in the DC metro area. Let's focus for a moment...(all links are blue)

Montgomery County, Maryland (MD) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

is the conventional listings for Montgomery county; at the bottom of the page is the trunked stuff, and Montgomery's system (which is all 800, and will need to be rebanded...) is listed here...

Montgomery County Trunking System, Montgomery County, Maryland - Scanner Frequencies

It may be possible to hear the new PG County 700 Mhz system from wherever it is you will be, and for that, one of the 6 or so scanners I mentioned will be required to hear them. The database entry for them is here

The information on that system is a bit sketchy at the moment, and I suspect that when the system is fully deployed, we'll have lots of people digging out the details.

73 Mike

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
By way of explanation - when you look at the database, if you float your mouse over a column heading, you should see an explanation of the various abbreviations and what they mean.

In the case of Montgomery county's trunk, you will notice that the mode is often 'D' (digital), with a few 'E' (encrypted) thrown in for good measure. Encrypted talkgroups cannot be monitored by anyone without a specifically-programmed radio, so forget those.

Now as to the DC System, the situation is quite similar. At the risk of going OT here, since we have a dedicated forum for DC stuff, this system will also require the use of a digital trunktracker, but as far as is known, has no plans to go to 700. PG county will be the first, AFAIK, in our area to do so

73 Mike

KK4HG

Premium Subscriber
OK thanks, Mike. So I guess there will not be any digital trunking until Mont. Cty. rebands to 700mHz. Is this a safe assumption and, do you have any idea when this will occur? Past experience has taught me that rebanding is slow and painful. And, there is usually a mirror system left in place for awhile...until the swap is complete.

So, the system now is still analog, right? I could get by with a PSR400 for at least a year, maybe more?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
No, I think you're mixing apples and oranges again. Look at the database- Montgomery and DC are digital now, and have been for quite a while. Going digital has nothing to do with 700 in this case. In addition, rebanding has nothing to do with the move to 700.

As Dewey said, to hear Montgomery and DC's trunk, you will need a digital scanner. The PSR400 will work OK for the conventional freqs, so long as they don't say 'P25' anywhere in the listing (yes, a conventional frequency can use P25 audio). Look at the links I've supplied (all links are in blue) in the previous messages.

73 Mike

Last edited:

KK4HG

Premium Subscriber
Well, I am finally settled in Rockville and have received my eBay PSR600. Man have things changed around here since the days of Regency crystal scanners!! I used to know the location of each fire station by number, the units being dispatched also by number but not anymore! It seems that the numbering system has changed I guess because of an increased need for more individual units than a double digit numbering system could accommodate. Seems also like there are more stations which stands to reason. Even the cops are using this "1 adam 12" stuff. Must be an APCO thing.

I have been searching for a listing of station locations and unit IDs but have come up empty, Does anyone know where I can locate this info? My memory is slowly recovering but it is a painful process!

Also, have any of you any experience with the desktop discone antenna? I lost one on eBay today and think it would do me well since I cannot use any outdoor antennas.

Happy Thanksgiving!

MCMD5

Premium Subscriber
Well, I am finally settled in Rockville and have received my eBay PSR600. Man have things changed around here since the days of Regency crystal scanners!! I used to know the location of each fire station by number, the units being dispatched also by number but not anymore! It seems that the numbering system has changed I guess because of an increased need for more individual units than a double digit numbering system could accommodate. Seems also like there are more stations which stands to reason. Even the cops are using this "1 adam 12" stuff. Must be an APCO thing.

I have been searching for a listing of station locations and unit IDs but have come up empty, Does anyone know where I can locate this info? My memory is slowly recovering but it is a painful process!

Also, have any of you any experience with the desktop discone antenna? I lost one on eBay today and think it would do me well since I cannot use any outdoor antennas.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Try this site for fire station locations.
http://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/content/firerescue/crrs/firecode/stations/stationlistings.pdf

Montgomery county changed the fire unit designations to be like Northern VA and use the Council Of Government numbers. Prince Georges County has gone to this system also.

All Montgomery County units start with a 7 now. Example Rockville station 3 are Engine 703, Truck 703, Rescue 703, Amb 703, Medic 703. Old system was Engine 3-1, Truck 3, Rescue Squad 3, Amb 3-8 and Medic 3-9.

On the station lists does not have the newest built stations. Station 22 and 35 are Gemontown Stations. I'm not sure where they are located.

You can try this site to see if there is any information you are looking for about police units.
WWW.MontgomeryCountyMD.gov/

Last edited:

OldsDoug

Try this site for fire station locations.
http://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/content/firerescue/crrs/firecode/stations/stationlistings.pdf

(snip)

On the station lists does not have the newest built stations. Station 22 and 35 are Germantown Stations. I'm not sure where they are located.

(snip)

22 is on Route 118 (Germantown Road) just west of Clopper Road (Route 117).

35 is in Clarksburg and I think it is a county-run station, ie not part of the Germantown FD. I think the street it's on is called Gateway Center Drive; it's in an area of industrial warehouses. The general vicinity is Route 355 (called Frederick Road there?) and Route 121 (Clarksburg Road).

Most of the FDs have their own websites. I believe all (except 35, see above) are still private corporations.

(Hopefully the information I have provided here is reasonably accurate!) :)

Regards,

Doug

MCMD5

Premium Subscriber
22 is on Route 118 (Germantown Road) just west of Clopper Road (Route 117).

35 is in Clarksburg and I think it is a county-run station, ie not part of the Germantown FD. I think the street it's on is called Gateway Center Drive; it's in an area of industrial warehouses. The general vicinity is Route 355 (called Frederick Road there?) and Route 121 (Clarksburg Road).

Most of the FDs have their own websites. I believe all (except 35, see above) are still private corporations.

(Hopefully the information I have provided here is reasonably accurate!) :)

Regards,

Doug

I don't believe either station is affiliated with a volunteer corporation. I believe they are both career staffed county stations only.

If I remember right station 35 has a Medic and Engine only and 22 has a engine, ambulance and a tanker.

OldsDoug

I don't believe either station is affiliated with a volunteer corporation. I believe they are both career staffed county stations only.

If I remember right station 35 has a Medic and Engine only and 22 has a engine, ambulance and a tanker.

I'll be dogged... I had thought that 22 was part of the Germantown VFD, but I did a little digging and it looks as if you're correct; apparently it isn't... interesting...

I thought there was a truck or tower at 35, but not sure... can't find anything about it either way.

MCMD5

Premium Subscriber
I'll be dogged... I had thought that 22 was part of the Germantown VFD, but I did a little digging and it looks as if you're correct; apparently it isn't... interesting...

I thought there was a truck or tower at 35, but not sure... can't find anything about it either way.

I think you are right about a tower being at 35. I have not lived in Montgomery for 5 years so Im not as up to date now as I was before. I try to keep up with the goings on.

MCMD5

Premium Subscriber
Clarksburg Fire Station (735) runs engine, medic & tower.

Thanks ResQguy, I was thinking they took the tower from station 1 when Truck 2 moved into station 1.
That is one ugly truck, I think it needs some more chevron stripe's.

wireless

What can one listen to in Mont County with Analog Pro97?

Hello Guys,
Noob to forum but I have the same kinda background as KK4HG. I had a BC210 (still do looking at it across the room under some serious dust) and a slew of Crystal controlled jobs, desktop and portable. Then I got away from it . So after the divorce (that should say allot) I picked up some Ebay Units and dabbled a bit but nothing serious.

So here is where I am at. I have a Pro97. Thanks to this thread and the WIki I know Im basically limited to some patched MC Fire Dispatch, 154.16 and 153.95 7Bravo ( Big QUESTION does the MCFR's 7C or 7K have a VHF patch like they did with 154.16 and 153.95? ) and a few Montgomery County Maintenance Channels 155.100 and Md State Police of course at 39.32 and other Barracks.. I would like a bit more Fireboard and Police (Besides Gaith City PD Car to car 154.0625, the lunch stops are getting a bit tiring)

So what is available that I can use the Pro97 for? Anything that the Trunking part can still handle in Montgomery County? I know I need to Ebay it and get a Digital but right now its just not in the cards.The Pro97 is like new with minimal hours and Id like to get some useage out oif it.

Over to you guys!

And Thanks, this thread was very informative, Glad that KK4HG came back to town and helped get me educated at the same time.
BTW, Im up in Germantown at Clopper at Mateny if that location helps pick me some good freqs.

ResQguy

Meh
Premium Subscriber
7C is occasionally patched to 153.950 (old F1). It depends on who is in charge at the ECC you might even hear 7G patched to it. 7A stays patched to 154.160 (old F2) 24x7. I'm afraid your Pro-97 is only going to be able to hear Carroll & Frederick's analog systems, in addition to the conventional stuff you have already found.

Dewey

You can do DCFD's simulcast on 154.19. You can also do Park PD on the 160's, PG PD & FD on the 490's, US Cap on the 160's, and WMATA's conventional in the 160's is interesting right now. While I haven't heard anything yet, GMRS on the 462's may get interesting since some of the volunteer 4-wheels may be REACT.

Dewey

Status
Not open for further replies.