Montgomery County Fire Rescue

Status
Not open for further replies.

SPERT20906

I just heard on the scanner [Montgomery County Fire] of an end to some house fire & they talk about REHAB, so what is it? Also when they respond to call I hear;

"This is a [letter] response"

What is this if it is public?

Also;

They are clearing some house fire, also speaking of fires how come more fires are @ night then day [power is off then]

Thanks;

Bob

Towpro

SPERT20906 said:
I just heard on the scanner [Montgomery County Fire] of an end to some house fire & they talk about REHAB, so what is it?

Thanks;

Bob
My bro is a D.C.F.D. Lt., & was just telling me last night about rehab.....: After working a incident, they all go to rehab to get hydrated, blood pressure & vitals checked, make sure everyone is "OK"......
I'm sure someone else can tell ya more.....

SPERT20906

Towpro said:
My bro is a D.C.F.D. Lt., & was just telling me last night about rehab.....: After working a incident, they all go to rehab to get hydrated, blood pressure & vitals checked, make sure everyone is "OK"......
I'm sure someone else can tell ya more.....

Thanks ;-)

Bob

unitcharlie

a Kentucky DB Admin...
Database Admin
SPERT20906 said:
I just heard on the scanner [Montgomery County Fire] of an end to some house fire & they talk about REHAB, so what is it?
After the fire fighting is finished there is also work to be done inside the burned structure--cleaning up debris to make sure the fire is doused: rehab....

SPERT20906 said:
Also when they respond to call I hear;

"This is a [letter] response"
Among other things they are using a common designation for the sides of a structure so everyone knows what is going on where.... looking at the building the facade you see from the street is "A", then "B" to the right, the back wall is "C" the wall to the left of the front (as you stand looking at it) is "D". Then there are the corners--"A-B", etc....

Call your local emergency management agency and ask if they offer Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) training... this is one of the topics covered....

nfd_rescue

Rehab is an ongoing thing during any structure fire. The idea is to have at least two groups of firefighters taking turns going in. When one group comes out to get water, cool down, change air bottles, etc. the other group goes in to pick up where they left off.

SPERT20906

unitcharlie said:
After the fire fighting is finished there is also work to be done inside the burned structure--cleaning up debris to make sure the fire is doused: rehab....

Among other things they are using a common designation for the sides of a structure so everyone knows what is going on where.... looking at the building the facade you see from the street is "A", then "B" to the right, the back wall is "C" the wall to the left of the front (as you stand looking at it) is "D". Then there are the corners--"A-B", etc....

Call your local emergency management agency and ask if they offer Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) training... this is one of the topics covered....
Thanks;

Bob

SPERT20906

nfd_rescue said:
Rehab is an ongoing thing during any structure fire. The idea is to have at least two groups of firefighters taking turns going in. When one group comes out to get water, cool down, change air bottles, etc. the other group goes in to pick up where they left off.
So in other words sort of like a resting place to get refeshed before going in, thanks.

Bob

What is meant by

'This is a [letter] response?

k0bzv

Pretty good explainations of REHAB. We had some bad fires here in East Central Florida
earlier this year which I listened to and REHAB was a very important funtion. The fire
fighters would come out for "rehab" and get water,gator-aid, and whatever was needed.
The Red Cross was feeding the crews in the field and local business people as well as
private citizens were donating water, meals, etc. for the fire fighters. Kinda restored my
faith in my fellow human beings. The more I listen to my scanners, and hear about some
of the individuals running around, the more I like our cat!!
This is one fascinating hobby!! You hear the news as it happens, hear of people's real
scummy behavior toward fellow people, and, since I can monitor while I work, it makes
a 8 or 10 or 12 hour shift go by a bit faster. I carry maps with me and, if possible, will
track an incident. In addition to being "in the know", I have really learned the local area.
The only thing I don't want to hear is a fire/rescue or police call to my own address.
My main interests are 1-Fire/Rescue, 2-Local and county police and 3-Local aviation.
Keep listening; it's out there for the taking (listening)!!

robbinsj2

unitcharlie said:
This is "overhaul" and occurs after the fire is under control; technically it is considered firefighting but may not be what a layperson would commonly think of.
unitcharlie said:
The address-side of the building is used as A, in case the building is located at an intersection or runs the full depth of a block. And I think it runs the other direction, clockwise in plan -- A is the "front", B is the left, C is the back, D is the right, at least around here (assuming a 4-sided structure).

OP: an "X response" is probably a priority level (urgent, non-emergent, other) or preset response type -- for example 4 engines, 2 trucks, 1 rescue, 2 chiefs, 1 medic, etc. It'll vary by locality, if no one here can answer then you might try posting in the proper regional (state) forum.

Jim

ResQguy

Premium Subscriber
The Montgomery County,MD DFRS is very progressive in firefighter safety. Units operating at a prolonged incident are ordered to rotate thru the rehab sector as neccessary. This includes cool-down, vitals check, and hydration. These services are usually provided by one of the canteen services (Sandy Spring, Rockville, Kensington, etc) with the assistance of a medic unit.

In regards to the [letters] in a dispatch, DFRS utilizes the Clawson Advanced Priority Medical Dispatch System, which classifies calls with letter codes. DFRS often verbally states when it is a DELTA response (high priority), in order to alert the on-air EMS Duty Officer.

SPERT20906

ResQguy said:
The Montgomery County,MD DFRS is very progressive in firefighter safety. Units operating at a prolonged incident are ordered to rotate thru the rehab sector as neccessary. This includes cool-down, vitals check, and hydration. These services are usually provided by one of the canteen services (Sandy Spring, Rockville, Kensington, etc) with the assistance of a medic unit.

In regards to the [letters] in a dispatch, DFRS utilizes the Clawson Advanced Priority Medical Dispatch System, which classifies calls with letter codes. DFRS often verbally states when it is a DELTA response (high priority), in order to alert the on-air EMS Duty Officer.
Thanks, is there a list of the letters or is it private? I looked on the dispatch link;

http://home.houston.rr.com/ecarlson//scanner/firerescue.html

& it did not say anything, also I think Sandy Spring is co 40, nice station. I been in some fire/rescue stations & I do not know about now, but a few years back they would have public activities where they gave tours of the station [@ least the public parts like where the drivways are]. Also do you or anyone know what this unit is;

'QUINT [if spelled right]" is this a special unite or something?

Thanks,

Bob

Drive safely to & from all calls & God bless all the people who work with the fire/rescue & police that are on here from all over the USA.

A "Quint" is essentially a ladder truck that carries water and hose like a pumper. The theory behind them is that they can do either Engine Company work or Ladder Company work.

Most firefighters do not like them because they are difficult to work off of. They don't carry enough manpower to carry out Engine & Ladder work at the same time. They so big that they are much more cumbersome than a pumper making them difficult to maneuver and deploy hose lines off of. Conversly, the Engine Company stuff (pump, water tank, hose etc.) takes up so much room that there is no room to carry what a dedicated Ladder Company normally carries.

SPERT20906

1075 said:
A "Quint" is essentially a ladder truck that carries water and hose like a pumper. The theory behind them is that they can do either Engine Company work or Ladder Company work.

Something like this 'AFRA'?

Most firefighters do not like them because they are difficult to work off of. They don't carry enough manpower to carry out Engine & Ladder work at the same time. They so big that they are much more cumbersome than a pumper making them difficult to maneuver and deploy hose lines off of. Conversly, the Engine Company stuff (pump, water tank, hose etc.) takes up so much room that there is no room to carry what a dedicated Ladder Company normally carries.
Thanks for the info, I guess each fire station has different trucks for different areas [like some Companies have brush trucks & has mat trucks], I love how the county helps each other out no mater where the help is coming from.

SPERT20906 said:
Thanks for the info, I guess each fire station has different trucks for different areas [like some Companies have brush trucks & has mat trucks], I love how the county helps each other out no mater where the help is coming from.
That's because Montgomery County is a county wide governmental agency funded by tax dollars. The individual firehouses do not control the overall misson of the department, rather they support it.

SPERT20906

1075 said:
That's because Montgomery County is a county wide governmental agency funded by tax dollars. The individual firehouses do not control the overall misson of the department, rather they support it.
Amen!

Status
Not open for further replies.