Montgomery County Fire Units

Status
Not open for further replies.

sc800

What are the suffixes for the Montgomery County Fire units. For example something like Medic 703Bravo or Medic 718Echo? Are those additional units?

Also I know all Montgomery County units have a 7 in their number, which county has the 9## numbers

troymail

Silent Key
What are the suffixes for the Montgomery County Fire units. For example something like Medic 703Bravo or Medic 718Echo? Are those additional units?

Also I know all Montgomery County units have a 7 in their number, which county has the 9## numbers

Normally, units at a station would be numbered as station and unit (i.e. station 28 might have Engine 281, Engine 282, etc.).

Since the area uses the Council of Governments (COG) regional numbering system, the format is <jurisdiction> and <Station> -- hence - "7" for Montgomery and "28" for a station.

The suffixes replace the unit numbers within a station
Engine 281 might be E728
Engine 282 might be E728B

etc.

See also:
http://forums.radioreference.com/ma...nty-fire-cog-numbering-system.html#post392971

Loudoun County Fire and Rescue Department - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

sc800

Thanks!

Just curious so when you hear Echo's and Foxtrots with the medic unit, that means certain departments have 5 or 6 ambulances out of them?

MCMD5

Premium Subscriber
Thanks!

Just curious so when you hear Echo's and Foxtrots with the medic unit, that means certain departments have 5 or 6 ambulances out of them?

Yes Wheaton Rescue and Bethesda Chevy Chase Rescue have several amblance/medic units. Wheaton Rescue have Ambulance 742A,742B,742C, and so on. When they are staffed as Medic Units the numbers are the same just the Amblance/Medic designation changes.
Same goes with there Rescue Squads, 742A and 742B.

sc800

Okay thanks to both of you. That is what I thought but I wanted to confirm it.

k781789

Frederick County is assigned the 9xx numbers. However, only the Safety and Bat chiefs uses the 9xx as part of their unit numbers.

One13Truck

Feed Provider
Can't say I'm a big fan of that system but after being used for a few years now I guess it's going to stay. Too bad. The old systems used by each individual County were all much better.

mouse1

The units with foxtrot and echo are part of either the Bethesda Chevy Chase rescue squad or the Wheaton Rescue squad which both have multi ambulances and medic units as well as heavy and light rescue units. These units are either 741 Bethesda or 742 Wheaton. By the way the busiest station in MC is station 8 Gaithersburg. Hope this clears it up for you

KK4DFU

I will add the cavet that Rescue Squads have a slighlty different format.

the format is <jurisdiction>, <Squad Designation>, <Station> -- hence - "7" for Montgomery and &#8220;4" for a rescue squad , and &#8220;1&#8221; for the station

The suffixes replace the unit numbers within a station

The old systems created much confusion on mutual aid calls in which multiple stations with the same designations were on the same call. Big example being 9/11.

Also be on the look out for the new Prefix &#8220;ALS&#8221; which designates a paramedic (usually ALS2) chase car. The chase car program will be starting soon.

Ex. ALS726, will be added in additional to M726, and E726 at that station.

One13Truck

Feed Provider
I get the reasoning to go with it and why it's in use but can't say I'm a fan of it. Our county in Pa went from systems similar to what was in use down there to one similar to the new and it's a major step backwards IMO. But I'm not a fan of things XXX-1, XXX-2, or XXX-A, XXX-B. With the old you hear a number and know the town and the apparatus type. Much easier. But I'm in the minority on that one although it does make me smile when I see the individual departments on their own still using the old systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.