Montgomery County: I'm hearing an amateur radio repeater on 462.6000MHz, but I can't find the frequency on RR. Anyone know who/which group it is?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dratsabdeye4

I started hearing what sounds like ham radio chatter on 462.6000MHz in Montgomery County, Va. I looked up several callsigns I've heard on there like KF4XTR and WRC846, but when I search those callsigns or the frequency for the area on RR, I don't get any results.

Anyone know which amateur radio group this is? They mentioned recently setting up a new repeater (I believe in Bland county, though I may be mistaken; I'm new to scanning) and one guy is planning on setting up a new antenna to extend their range further into Christiansburg...does this ring a bell to anyone in the area?

nd5y

What type of receiver do you hear it on?
Can you hear it on different types of receivers?

It could be an image of a 440 MHz signal. There is a recent thread here about somebody receiving ham transmissions on GMRS.

It could also be some genius linking ham radio and GRMS frequencies.

Last edited:

KC3ECJ

I started hearing what sounds like ham radio chatter on 462.6000MHz in Montgomery County, Va. I looked up several callsigns I've heard on there like KF4XTR and WRC846, but when I search those callsigns or the frequency for the area on RR, I don't get any results.

Anyone know which amateur radio group this is? They mentioned recently setting up a new repeater (I believe in Bland county, though I may be mistaken; I'm new to scanning) and one guy is planning on setting up a new antenna to extend their range further into Christiansburg...does this ring a bell to anyone in the area?

It would be unusual for somebody to use an amateur callsign there.
That's a GMRS frequency. You might hear a GMRS callsign.

That or for some odd reason somebody is cross band repeating between amateur and GMRS.

You might find info here:

dratsabdeye4

What type of receiver do you hear it on?
Can you hear it on different types of receivers?

It could be an image of a 440 MHz signal. There is a recent thread here about somebody receiving ham transmissions on GMRS.

It could also be some genius linking ham radio and GRMS frequencies.
I'm hearing it on a Whistler WS1040. Don't know about other receivers as this is my first scanner. I heard them mention GMRS channels a time or two. I will check out the link you provided as well.

dratsabdeye4

It would be unusual for somebody to use an amateur callsign there.
That's a GMRS frequency. You might hear a GMRS callsign.

That or for some odd reason somebody is cross band repeating between amateur and GMRS.

You might find info here:
That would make sense. I will see if those are GMRS callsigns.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
A lot of hams local to me use GMRS and either accidentally or on purpose use their amateur callsign on the GMRS repeater.

richardbritt

Database Admin
If you are using a scanner with a second IF of 10.7 mhz, twice the 10.7 would be the image of a 440 ham frequency in the 462 GMRS frequency spectrum.

Hope this helps. I repaired Motorola radios for years.

Regards Richard W4MCD

Status
Not open for further replies.