Montgomery County Law Enforcement...Texas

Status
Not open for further replies.

tunnelmot

Premium Subscriber
Still a mess. In one district I know firsthand that the rotation is not working. Some companies getting multiple tows with others not getting anything after the 1st. Units waiting extended periods for wreckers, etc. Municipalities seems to prefer their own wrecker calls. E may very well be in the future, but there is a lot to coordinate interop wise before that happens.

iloverf

Premium Subscriber
Listening to MOCO dispatch tonight. Sounds like they are using the rotation system, or at least somewhat. Just heard dispatch confirming that a specific wrecker had "accepted the rotation" call for wrecker at a scene.

KG1ADP

Moto
Premium Subscriber
Yes affective Jan 1st a rotation system was implemented for the wreckers

kc5jzl

Well I'm glad I found this thread, it provided me with some answers, since the Live feed hasnt been up for weeks I picked up 2 SDR dongles to see to listening myself, I cant seem to make much sense of it, not hearing much of anything on the TXWARN or Montgomery County P25 talkgroups, I assume by now that they have adopted the encryption since I hear nearly nothing from my place in Porter.

iloverf

Premium Subscriber
Nothing that I listen to has gone encrypted yet. Moco Sherriff dispatch channels are still in the clear as of tonight.

kc5jzl

Nothing that I listen to has gone encrypted yet. Moco Sherriff dispatch channels are still in the clear as of tonight.
I did find some channels, I think my antenna situation needs to improve as SDRTrunk gives alot of "FADE" messages. My place is in a bit of an RF dead spot due to trees, I cant even get solid cell phone reception.

tunnelmot

Premium Subscriber
Yes, still in the open for now. But make NO mistake Sheriff Henderson is actively pushing for encryption...per his own public statements and county commissioner minutes.

W5NIO

Yes, still in the open for now. But make NO mistake Sheriff Henderson is actively pushing for encryption...per his own public statements and county commissioner minutes.
I truly wonder what his defense would be. The ambush of an officer argument seems ridiculous, as those are random for the most part. I also wonder how he would justify the need for our county to encrypt when HPD already has their dispatch channels in the clear, and how Harris County SO and Constables all have the majority of their channels open. I also wonder if any of the municipal police departments approve of the decision since they are basically endorsing it as they use MCSO dispatch. They have much higher crime rates than our county does. From what I can tell the City of Conroe has the highest crime rate in our county and yet they are the only ones in our county who are fully encrypted.

One thing I noticed is when he talked about encryption in a November 2019 meeting, he seemed to get a bit more emotional when compared to the rest of the things he was talking about. He seemed as if he was frustrated and annoyed. There really must be something bothering him that he hasn't mentioned yet.

I spoke with Scott Engle a few weeks ago and he told me that he isn't even getting access. No media agencies will be given access no matter their size. There have been a few shootings lately, and it takes many hours for an official press release to be generated. I wonder if each supervisor on duty will be using Twitter to publish alerts such as manhunts, Harris County does this. There was a manhunt here in The Woodlands a few months ago and MCSO didn't publish an alert or press release at all. People were on Facebook posting about all the helicopters in the area, turns out an armed individual had fled into the woods in a residential area. Had it not been for sites like MCPR, no one would have a clue as to what was going on.

Last edited:

tunnelmot

Premium Subscriber
I agree that he seems curiously passionate about encryption. I have heard 3rd party information on his reasoning, but I will not perpetuate those as there is no verification.

Yes, he is annoyed with the whole situation. His answer is "we have to do this in order to encrypt" (regarding the tow ordinance debacle).

I do know that the argument for open dispatch and encrypted tac/talk/backs has been presented publicly, but his passion persists. The local munis are being told to get with the program, as it were.

I have been curious as to how interagency/interoperabilty issues will be handled. I regularly hear HPD/Harris/Walker Co units switch to MCSO. What's the point in participating in a region wide system if access is restricted to other authorized users?

These are only my opinions and conjecture. The above is all public and on record.

Unlike HPD and Harris County, the only notifications I get from MCSO is to lock my car every night at 9pm.

W5NIO

Do you have a video or document where he discusses open dispatch? I've tried to find everything from the commissioner's court meetings but can only find something that mentions it from November 2019 and from June of 2020. It could just be me being picky with wording, but in the June meeting, captain McKelvy mentioned them moving to an "encrypted system", almost making it seem as if they were migrating to a completely separate system. This made me consider the possibility of them migrating to the MCHD system. But at the same time I don't think that system has any capacity for any additional users. They would have to expand their license in order to get more frequencies.

A few weeks ago there was a pursuit that went into spring, Harris County units joined in via our county's SO 3. DPS regularly monitors all of our channels and would have to get the keys as well. They have a few dozen mutual aid and wide-area talkgroups but when you are going 110 in pursuit, it is deadly to look down to change a channel.

Status
Not open for further replies.