Montgomery County Ohio Help

jsb1964

Premium Subscriber
Hello! We recently relocated to Farmersville, OH. I have Uniden models SDS200, BCD536HP, and BCD436HP and a Whistler TRX-1. I have tried to program all of the scanners via the Sentinel software and the Whistler programming software. I have also tried the location programming as well. I am unable to receive Farmersville, Jackson Township, New Lebanon or Germantown. I have been listening to my scanners as firetrucks have driven with lights and sirens! This what RadioReference says, "The only fire departments in Montgomery County remaining on VHF are Farmersville and New Lebanon. All others (while using a vhf frequency for tones) are on 800 MHz. Most do not operate VHF repeaters anymore, just as simplex simulcasts for tones and dispatch audio, although some are simulcast of both dispatch and crews." The fire departments are dispatched from Northmont. Englewood Dispatch Center dispatches for Englewood, Jackson Township, New Lebanon and Union Police Departments. I can't figure this one out. If there is manual entry involved, any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

fordcobra04

Premium Subscriber
New Lebanon and Farmersville are now on MARCS. You will hear VHF paging, but no other traffic. Jackson Twp. PD is also dispatched by Englewood Dispatch, and Germantown is Dispatched by the Montgomery Co. Regional Dispatch Center. Send me a message and I can help you out...

n8yid

Premium Subscriber
Just to throw it out there....

Since you are located in/around the Farmersville area; your SDS200 will be the only radio in your arsenal to follow things effectively.... The other radios; while excellent radios, will not follow the Montgomery Co Simulcast site without getting garbled-up. Believe me, I have the 436 and the TRX-1, and live near your area - I fight the simulcast demon daily... ;-)

Farmersville Fire & New Lebanon Fire will both be using Englewood Fire Dispatch - TG 58179 (Dispatch out); then assigned an "Operations" channel after tone-out ...(all on MARCS)

Germantown Fire will be using Montgomery County RDC Fire Dispatch 1 - TG 58023 (Dispatch out); then assigned an "OPS" channel, just like Farmersville & New Lebanon Fire.... (all on MARCS, as well)

Thats a hopeful start....

Give FordCobra a message and he should be able to help you more....

fordcobra04

Premium Subscriber
Just to throw it out there....

Since you are located in/around the Farmersville area; your SDS200 will be the only radio in your arsenal to follow things effectively.... The other radios; while excellent radios, will not follow the Montgomery Co Simulcast site without getting garbled-up. Believe me, I have the 436 and the TRX-1, and live near your area - I fight the simulcast demon daily... ;-)

Farmersville Fire & New Lebanon Fire will both be using Englewood Fire Dispatch - TG 58179 (Dispatch out); then assigned an "Operations" channel after tone-out ...(all on MARCS)

Germantown Fire will be using Montgomery County RDC Fire Dispatch 1 - TG 58023 (Dispatch out); then assigned an "OPS" channel, just like Farmersville & New Lebanon Fire.... (all on MARCS, as well)

Thats a hopeful start....

Give FordCobra a message and he should be able to help you more....
This is also correct. Your other scanners will be virtually useless on the Montgomery Co. Simulcast system.

korey937

What about a BCD996P2, will this now be considered useless with Mont co? Thanks in advance. Just turned on my scanner for the first time in a few months and notice I'm not hearing the RDC South anymore. :(

n8yid

Premium Subscriber
It won't be useless; but it definitely will not be the most effective...
RDC South is still there; and, always busy....

korey937

It won't be useless; but it definitely will not be the most effective...
RDC South is still there; and, always busy....
It's done pretty well for me for the past couple of years and then all of a sudden I noticed there weren't any local PD calls. :( I'm assuming they're encrypted now? Only thing I can think of since I haven't made any changes in awhile.

KB8KOJ

Premium Subscriber
No that TG is busy and still in the clear. A few months.. maybe the leaves were helping null out the Simulcast issue.

For solid reception MARCS Montgomery site needs to be monitored with a SDR of some type. Otherwise it's down to your location and/or which way the wind blows.

Last edited:

n8yid

Premium Subscriber
If you're interested; here is my take on, not only this instance, but others who monitor the various Motorola simulcast sites around the country, using anything other than an SDS scanner, a Unication, or an SDR dongle...

I, personally have an SDS-100, two BCD436's, a Whistler TRX-1, a Unication G5 and I monitor via Unitrunker with an SDR dongle (both the Montgomery Co & Butler Co simulcast sites)... (I do not own, or have a BTT, so I cannot speak to that...)

So, my take is this... if a person is using anything other than an SDS-series radio, a Unication, or an SDR; they are missing a LOT of traffic on these systems that they don't even know they are missing. I started monitoring the Montgomery County simulcast site(s) with the 436's I have (excellent radios, btw); had a bit of "garbled" traffic in the beginning; then things would clear up (depending on my current monitoring location), then go right back to "garble". I noticed there were times when things were silent; then things would pick up, then go silent again.... traffic was clear at times, then a bit garbled... frustrating, to say the least... Monitoring was very tedious to say the least; no where near as enjoyable as when things were analog, or on the older TRS.... frustration was even more so on the Butler County simulcast site(s)...

Later on, I pulled the trigger on an SDS-100... and "boom".... traffic was coming in more clear, with a lot more of it.... Shortly afterwards, I incorporated an SDR (with Unitrunker) into my monitoring routine, and this gave me the ability to "visually" compare traffic flow; both on the system and across the SDS-100 and BCD436 radios. I then saw there was a lot of traffic that I had been missing on the 436's. Not because I didn't have the information programmed in to the radios; but, because the radio couldn't "process" it correctly, allowing it to break squelch..... With the SDS and my 436's side-by-side, there is a large amount of radio traffic that the 436's miss, that my SDS will pick up on....

With all that said; I do NOT consider myself a Uniden "fanboy", by any means... for that matter, there are situations that I use my Whistler TRX-1 for that I won't even think of using a Uniden for.... or, I use my Unication. I am a FIRM believer in using the correct tool for the job at hand... and, I am by no means saying that everyone should rush out and purchase an SDS, a Unication, or put together an SDR rig; and that if you do so, your troubles will go away... they are not perfect either; but, they are VERY effective in doing what they do...

I guess what I want to convey is that if someone is using anything other than Unidens SDS- series, a Unication, or an SDR rig (with UT or SDS+) on these simulcast sites; how does one know all the radio traffic they are missing?

Last edited by a moderator: