Montgomery County, PA New P25 System - Scanner Settings / Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
Is it me or has the new system have limited range outside the county? I travel to Reading and West Chester from the Gilbertsville area for work and cannot pick them up halfway to either location. The vhf dispatch frequency comes in clear as day but not the 800mhz system.

Using a Unication G5 inside my vehicle, I'll pick up Montco as far south as Great Valley on US 202. Most trunked systems are optimized to provide in county coverage. There is, or should be, no expectation of coverage far outside the county borders.

zvelivis

Is it me or has the new system have limited range outside the county? I travel to Reading and West Chester from the Gilbertsville area for work and cannot pick them up halfway to either location. The vhf dispatch frequency comes in clear as day but not the 800mhz system.
I have never tried to listen too far outside of the county but I do know that we still can't monitor region 3 in most of Upper Dublin. We usually start picking it up once we get on 309 in Lower Gwynedd.

Septa3371CSX1

I can pick up the system with my G5 and APX in Paoli, Exton and Eagleview. They often pickup both control channels so whichever gets picked up first is what I get (west or east). I can also note on the G5 in the parking lot of Paoli station the signal comes in and out and while sitting still it will go out of range and then back in range. I would assume mobiles fare a little better as I see ambulances from Montco all the time going to Paoli Hospital and no complaints of coverage issues from them.

ceb515

I cannot pick up region 5 in the first floor of my house in Upper Southampton, can hear it outdoors in most of the area and upstairs in the house. Also cannot hear it from inside or around the feasterville firehouse.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
I cannot pick up region 5 in the first floor of my house in Upper Southampton, can hear it outdoors in most of the area and upstairs in the house. Also cannot hear it from inside or around the feasterville firehouse.
I'm assuming you're referring to one or both of the VHF rebroadcasts below? It is understandable that you would be able to hear them higher up. The higher your antenna is, generally the more your radio receives ;)

158.85000 KGA404 BM136.5 PLChelt Reg 5Fire Region 5 Rebroadcast
156.07500 KGC578 BM136.5 PLWlw Grv Reg5Willow Grove Fire Company - Fire Region 5 Rebroadcast

ceb515

I'm assuming you're referring to one or both of the VHF rebroadcasts below? It is understandable that you would be able to hear them higher up. The higher your antenna is, generally the more your radio receives ;)

158.85000 KGA404BM136.5 PLChelt Reg 5Fire Region 5 Rebroadcast
156.07500 KGC578BM136.5 PLWlw Grv Reg5Willow Grove Fire Company - Fire Region 5 Rebroadcast

Nope I was referring to unaffiliated scanning with my APX on the P25 system. But I will definitely be adding the simulcast to the scan list tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.