Montgomery County PSSM Program update

motorcoachdoug

Premium Subscriber
ok mabe then im wrong about system 60 being in the 700/800 band but it was showing up as i was doing a tower search with my kng2. for some reason i can not get my unitrunker to run at all.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Hmmm. Montgomery County seems to be behind schedule installing antennas at the ICC site. They were supposed to be done by today, which is when Motorola is supposed to begin installing FIRST equipment.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Hanging receive antennas today at the ICC site. Lots of service vehicles at the Burtonsville site.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
If anyone has the software to identify and decode control channels, you might want to park on the different Montgomery County control channels and look for "phantom" systems. Passing through the county yesterday, I parked on an alternate and received a system that UT2 identified as an APCO system, but was using a SmartNet type control channel and a totally different WACN / SysID. The control channel was directing the UT2 receiver to the normal Montgomery County voice channels and tgs. It seemed to be functioning on all sites, unlike 8E0 that seems to be live only on the Shady Grove site.

(I'm purposely not giving any more specific details hoping that somebody else detects it - I don't want to influence any findings.)

maus92

Premium Subscriber
More P25 sites seem to be coming up, and still some interesting activity on the alternate control channels. Two transmit and two receive antennas hung on the ICC site.

Bjc123

Premium Subscriber
Hi I’m just curious did they already switch the PD freqs last night around 3 AM? I can’t get anything on A5 or any MCPD dispatch freqs? Or maybe I need to reconfigure something on my scanner that I was fooling around with lol

maus92

Premium Subscriber
AFAIK, the new P25 system will not go live until the end of the year - only one tower site was up on Thursday. Sounds like a config error.

motorcoachdoug

Premium Subscriber
I am scanning all Montgomery PD Dispatch channels and the only thing I am hearing is FD on 7A and 7B but MCPD is totally quiet. Do MCPD have any VHF channels to use like MCFD have in the VHF Range?

maus92

Premium Subscriber
MCPD is working for me. I’d check your cch config - 853.8625 is currently in use.

wireless

I am scanning all Montgomery PD Dispatch channels and the only thing I am hearing is FD on 7A and 7B but MCPD is totally quiet. Do MCPD have any VHF channels to use like MCFD have in the VHF Range?
MCPD does not have any VHF Freqs that they use normally. (there maybe a few set aside for special use but nothing normally active) In the radio game Ive learned to never say “no” (;

wireless

BTW,on another note, I wouldn’t get too “attached” MCPD Dispatch as in the story is fairly positive that MCPD is going to go with full encryption on their dispatch channels. Many are not very happy about this but my sources say that it’s going to happen, maybe not at the turn on of the P25 Phase II system upgrade, but not too long after. We shall see.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
BTW,on another note, I wouldn’t get too “attached” MCPD Dispatch as in the story is fairly positive that MCPD is going to go with full encryption on their dispatch channels. Many are not very happy about this but my sources say that it’s going to happen, maybe not at the turn on of the P25 Phase II system upgrade, but not too long after. We shall see.
That's what the boys over at CHM say, but I just cannot see (former (People's Republic of) Takoma Park Councilmember and current) County Executive Marc Erlich allowing it considering this summer's occurrences. Write a letter.

wireless

That's what the boys over at CHM say, but I just cannot see (former (People's Republic of) Takoma Park Councilmember and current) County Executive Marc Erlich allowing it considering this summer's occurrences. Write a letter.
Yep Maus, I am hearing Yes & No from several sources. I know some of the hobbyists over at Capital Hill Monitoring have written letters but as of now has not gotten anything positive back ( stopping it from going forward) Ive been listening to scanners constantly since the 70s and I have never heard of a major Montgomery County incident affected by the bad guy with a scanner. Now that does not mean it hasn’t happened, but it is certainly not a huge issue here. The bigger issue we have is the ability for the public to know what’s up with their public safety branches. As we all know that subject is currently a huge concern nationally. I’ll end it here cause I believe this is a subject that was not supposed to be discussed but I think since were talking about it locally I’m OK. As Volunteer First Responder and lifelong MoCo resident, I just Say No!!

Last edited:

maus92

Premium Subscriber
MCPD does not have any VHF Freqs that they use normally. (there maybe a few set aside for special use but nothing normally active) In the radio game Ive learned to never say “no” (;
Before Montgomery County Police moved to the UHF T band (and before the current 800 SmartZone system,) they used to be on VHF. I doubt they still have the licenses for the VHF channels. Maybe some of them went to DFRS. If they need simplex, they can use T/A channels or RINS.

gesucks

Before Montgomery County Police moved to the UHF T band (and before the current 800 SmartZone system,) they used to be on VHF. I doubt they still have the licenses for the VHF channels. Maybe some of them went to DFRS. If they need simplex, they can use T/A channels or RINS.
Just to be clear, MCPD and MC FRS have NO FCC licenses. Montgomery County Government has FCC licenses. If they are in the Public Safety pool they can use them for anything they want in the pool for the most part. PD FD EMS etc

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Just to be clear, MCPD and MC FRS have NO FCC licenses. Montgomery County Government has FCC licenses. If they are in the Public Safety pool they can use them for anything they want in the pool for the most part. PD FD EMS etc
I realize the technicality re: what legal entity is the licensee. What I meant was the use of the VHF freq may have transferred from MCP to DFRS at some point, however I don't have the documentation of what VHF resources that MCP was using back in the day.

motorcoachdoug

Premium Subscriber
I do remember when MCPD were on VHF and they had 2 or 3 separate frequencies for dispatch channels. I remember when they had one channel for all of upper monkey county just north of Rockville and 2 for south of that diving the county in half. Of course back then they did not have all the problems with MS-13 and all the other things they are having to deal with now. I also remember when TKPK was 1/3 in PG county and they had to go to Bowie and Rockville to get sworn in so they could make arrest in both counties as well.

motorcoachdoug

Premium Subscriber
Well now MCPD is back up and running . I guess yesterday morning things were really quiet and nothing was going on in the county. At night time they combined the northern part of the county on one dispatch channel and the southern part on a different one with all dispatched channels patched together. It ends at 0700 every morning.