Montgomery County Street Department?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KB8KOJ

Premium Subscriber
This may be a silly question but... I have never heard or seen listed in any database the county road department or Public Works. Does this even exist? I monitor state (vhf low) and all the cities/townships (equal mix of trunked and vhf high). I know I have seen smaller pickups with plows and county emblems on the side. There are also yellow trucks with blue looking county outlines driving around. I have noticed these near the Warren county line however. May not be Montgomery County..

There are a couple of Talk Group listings for 'County Garage' but never recall hearing any traffic on these talk groups. Doesn't every county need a street department? If not, who does county roads in unincorporated areas? These white pickups may just be on the way to county property.. water department, and other county facilities. Also, does anyone know if Warren County uses yellow trucks with blue county outline.

radioscan

Radio Sensei
Database Admin
You can hear them on the Engineer's talkgroups:

1776 ENG 1
1808 ENG 2

They are listed in the database under the "Public Works" category.

KB8KOJ

Premium Subscriber
Ah, thanks Mark! Would have never even tried ENG talkgroups... just assumed that was civil engineer's talkgroups.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Ah, thanks Mark! Would have never even tried ENG talkgroups... just assumed that was civil engineer's talkgroups.

Same outfit... in nearly all cases in Ohio the County Engineer's Office does the civil engineering duties as well as road maintenance and other maintenance-related duties. Road maintenance just happens to be the most visible of their tasks (and generally uses the radio more than anything else as well).

Some cities and villages may break those tasks out separately under a Public Service Department, but there again most of them have the civil engineering duties handled by the city maintenance division. Villages and townships generally have the civil engineering stuff either contracted out or handled by the county engineer.

KB8KOJ

Premium Subscriber
Good info Tom. I think of civil engineering as more of a science duty. My pops was one, but this is government we are talking about... so sometimes things fit together differently ;-) Educational to say the least.

Status
Not open for further replies.