Montgomery County Unit ID Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

KD4YGG

Database Admin
Monitored a few units the past couple of weeks out of Montgomery County...

Can anyone advise what units 51-2 and 51-3 might be? Monitored on sheriff dispatch talkgroup.

Also, can anyone advise what unit TR-1 might be? Monitored on sheriff dispatch talkgroup. I'm thinking this might be Turkey Run State Park???

kadetklapp

51-2 and 51-3 makes reference to the last three digits of a town marshal's call. In this case, that would be Waynetown deputy's 3 and 4. For example-

54-51 is town marshal
54-51-1 Chief deputy
54-51-2 Deputy
54-51-3 Deputy
54-51-4 Deputy

It's an archaic and sort of dumb way to do it. Back in the day, when Mont Co marshals were "54-twenty something, it wasn't a problem, but now everyone get's tounge-tied with all the fives. 54-55 is a good one. So in order to not get so mush-mouth, the guys have a habit of cutting down their numbers by just using the last two (or in the case of deputy marshals, last three) digits.

In the case of New Ross, 54-50, his deputy (reserve) has to go by "54-50 R 1" because if you try saying "54-50-1" everyone would think you are Waynetown.

Boone county has the right idea with everyone but the county and Lebanon using three digit numerics, for example "401" for the Thorntown marshal, 402 for his deputy, Advance is 801 and so on, Jamestown 701 and so on, Zionsville 901 and so on...

How do I know?

I work in both counties.

*ETA*
About your "TR-1" I have no idea what that is. I've never heard it. Makes me wonder if you heard something on another group or someone ham-fisted the microphone and got distorted. Turkey Run is in Parke County.

Last edited:

KD4YGG

Database Admin
Would you know which agency 53-5 would belong to?

scannerfreak

Database Admin
Every time I've heard a "TR" unit, it's been a traffic unit. Not saying this is the case here, but it's a possibility.

kadetklapp

Would you know which agency 53-5 would belong to?

Ladoga deputy marshal, that is, if you are hearing it in the context of "54-53-5." As I'm sure Monroe County has a "53-5."

Every time I've heard a "TR" unit, it's been a traffic unit. Not saying this is the case here, but it's a possibility.

We have nothing like that here. I've not heard that reference on any of our talkgroups. Someone fumbled the mic or it was something from somewhere else.

This is the breakdown of the town marshal unit numbers in Montgomery County-

54-50- New Ross
54-51- Waynetown
54-52- New Market
54-53- Ladoga
54-54- Not used
54-55- Linden
54-56- New Richmond
54-57- Wingate
54-58- Darlington
54-59- Waveland

Reserves and deputies for any of the towns use the first four digits followed by another digit indicating order of deputy, so, the Darlington chief deputy would be 54-58-1, the next deputy, 58-2, etc. The exception being New Ross, which has one deputy who goes by "54-50-R-1" in order to prevent confusion but verbalizing "54-50-1" on the radio.

Last edited:

KD4YGG

Database Admin
Then what I heard was New Ross

50-R-1 sounds like fif-TR-1

Thanks Kadetklapp!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.