Montgomery EDACS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metrofire31

Premium Subscriber
Last week, while passing through Montgomery going to/from the coast, I was within range of the Montgomery EDACS system for a good bit of time. While monitoring Montgomery Fire, I heard the alert tone several times but in every case, was unable to hear a dispatcher ever come on and tell units what the call was or where. Can someone tell me whether that is done on a talkgroup I wasn't monitoring or perhaps whether MFD receives their dispatches by mobile data terminal?

Thanks for the information.

Mike
Metrofire31
Atlanta

morganAL

ProVoice and most other digital systems can not send alert tones. To send alert tones to fire stations or for other purposes, it must be done in analog mode.

Metrofire31

Premium Subscriber
Montgomery

Digital or analog - I can assure you the "MFD Dispatch" talkgroup aired an alert tone. No voice but I am confident about the alert tone part

CCScan

The MFD TGs are all digital. You are correct when you say you heard the alert tone. The alert tones are sent out analog for certain reasons. Then the dispatch goes out digital. Sometimes you will hear a dispatch go out analog because the dispatcher fails to unkey the analog alert tone and proceeds to dispatch the call. Hope that helps.

Metrofire31

Premium Subscriber
Montgomery

Thanks, CCScan! Yes, that helps and makes sense. I haven't had alot of experience dealing with EDACS systems since of all the analog and digital trunked systems in the Atlanta metro area, Henry County (south down I-75) is our only EDACS system. For me, it is well out of my customary listening range. Henry County Fire is the only emergency services agency that can be monitored. And for them, the only thing that can be monitored are their dispatches. Their dispatch talkgroup is analog while all of their tactical (fireground) activity is digital, just like Montgomery Fire.

Thanks, again, for your explanation. I really appreciate it.

Mike
Metrofire31
Atlanta
WQIT636

MXER

I can hear the tones as well, sometimes MPD Investigations and Juvenile are switched to analog at random times for some reason.

Montgomery County Sheriffs dispatch and State Troopers Dispatch are all working on analog.

MXER

I can certainly hear them puzzleriddle. You can not hear the car response but you can hear the dispatcher. I was listening to them last night.

wwhitby

Feed Provider
I was curious about this, since I was only hearing the MCSO's dispatcher occasionally in analog, and they used to have much more radio traffic than what I was hearing.

So I took some time yesterday to monitor the Montgomery County system using Unitrunker. During the couple of hours I monitored them, I saw three seperate radios used by the Montgmery County SO dispatchers on TG 290 (SO Dispatch.) While watching the dispatcher's traffic on that one talkgroup, I saw that two out of the three dispatcher radios were always digital. Every transmission they made to deputies on TG 290 was digital. However, I did see one radio out of the three that every transmission it made was analog. When that particular radio is used by the dispatchers, that's when we can hear the SO dispatcher in analog.

I don't know how the dispatchers are set up, so I don't know why 1 out of the 3 radios transmits only in analog. I suspect its something that will get fixed, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.