Montgomery TG 74C

Status
Not open for further replies.

motorcoachdoug

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone know what TG 74C is? Montgomery had 741 switch to that TG around 12:50pm and i can not find it in the county listing. Any ideas??

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Zone 74 is named "MCFRS SEC." 74C is named "INC70s." I don't know it's usage. I *suppose* SEC = "Secondary," and the small "s" after the 70 *might* refer to Secondary, or perhaps simplex. Who knows. What was the actual TG number?

jkahn

Very good looking Member
Premium Subscriber
I am guessing from the designation and the usage you heard that Zone 74 is all encrypted. 74C Incident 70s being the secure channel for secure conversations at that location.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I am guessing from the designation and the usage you heard that Zone 74 is all encrypted. 74C Incident 70s being the secure channel for secure conversations at that location.
Ah, secure makes sense. Didn't know DFRS had those.

N4VKF

Premium Subscriber
Here is a talkgroup map for the APX6500 radio. I think this is still accurate.

Attachments

• 800_6500_fire.pdf
    219.6 KB · Views: 34

motorcoachdoug

Premium Subscriber
Now i would love to set my radio up like that but i do NOT want it to affiliate.. Now time to figure out if I can Using a Tait TP9400 or viking VM600

Mr_Boh

Now i would love to set my radio up like that but i do NOT want it to affiliate.. Now time to figure out if I can Using a Tait TP9400 or viking VM600

If you are willing to be patient, the P25 system is scheduled to go live this year and a Unication will do it. And for a lot cheaper and easier than any of the commercial transceivers. Plus plenty of Unication users on RadioReference. I can say for sure Tait will not do SmartZone. The Viking will with the correct options, if you can find one. Will help you listen to PG, DC, Fairfax and others in the area as well for a lot less headache.

motorcoachdoug

Premium Subscriber
I have a Tait TP9400 which will do Phase 1 and phase 2 in the 700/800 band. I have the software that I need for it and I am using a EFJohnson 5100 and 5300 series for Montgomery right now in smartzone and when I travel to Sussex,CO Rehoboth Beach as well

maus92

Premium Subscriber
The Unication receiver is a more practical solution. The potential to misconfigure a subscriber unit could have catastrophic consequences to public safety users.

motorcoachdoug

Premium Subscriber
Maus92 believe me I know. What I really want to get my hands on is a RELM KNG P800. You can program it like you would for a subscriber unit but it does not affiliate once you check the do not transmit box. It then acts like a Uniden SDS100 or Unication receiver. I know all about not affiliating to any system. I programed my efjohnsons in the smartnet mode and it does not affiliate at all. believe me i used trunk tracker to see if it was and nada

maus92

Premium Subscriber
The Unication is way cheaper, smaller, and prettier. And can be programmed to alert out of the box.

Mr_Boh

I have a Tait TP9400 which will do Phase 1 and phase 2 in the 700/800 band. I have the software that I need for it and I am using a EFJohnson 5100 and 5300 series for Montgomery right now in smartzone and when I travel to Sussex,CO Rehoboth Beach as well
The Tait will not work with Montgomery or Sussex County. Or a RELM/BK for that matter.

DanRollman

Database Admin
true but the P800 can also do not only the 700/800mhz but i think vhf and or uhf as well. not sure will look into it.

No, the KNG-P800 is single band (700/800) only. I love my KNG-P800 and my Unication G5, and agree the G5 is more compact. But the KNG is much more versatile. And anyone who says the Unication decodes and sounds as good as a KNG, or is more practical than a KNG, well, definitely doesn't own both a Unication and a KNG!

motorcoachdoug

Premium Subscriber
True but right now until they are no longer smartzone, my efjohnson 5100 ascend series radio works just fine as well as my 5300 series mobile. I use an xtl5000 to scan the 700/800 US INOP channels while I use my EFJohnson for Montgomery and Sussex county scan. If its really busy will switch my xtl5000 over to montgomery or sussex so I will not miss anything. I also really like the light head from the 5300 series radio remote mounted.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
You will need and KNG2-p800 and the correct options for Montgomery County, aka$$$. Not sure if the look is worth the money.

Edit: You don't need a KNG2 version, but you'd want the color screen to match a Unication.... BTW, the Unication G5 is a dual band radio, so if MC continues to use VHF for alerting and river ops, that would be the version to get IMO..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.