Montgomey County, RE Units

Status
Not open for further replies.

bradam2001

I have noticed that Montgomery has new units call Rescue Engines. I have seen RE-3 in Silver Springs and in Germantown RE-4.
What stations do they come out of ?

redburgundy

Premium Subscriber
Are these new units with the chevrons on the back?
Do they have big letters saying RE-2 etc. rather than three digits 728?

ResQguy

Meh
Premium Subscriber
Wrong.
Station 3 (Rockville) has a unit designated as a Rescue Engine.

Just because one of Rockville's Engines (33) has rescue tools on it, does not mean that ECC will dispatch it as Rescue Engine 703 (or 733, depending). But anyway, the answer to the OP's question is: MCFRS bought 39 Spartan/Crimson CAFS pumpers, seven of which are designated Reserve Engines 1-7. That way when one of the new CAFS pumpers are out of service, they are replaced with the exact same vehicle instead of a 1988 Seagrave (I'd take the Seagrave :) ) All of the pumpers are red with chevrons on the rear. Front line units have E7xx on all four sides, reserves have REx instead. A couple of LFRDs have also gotten the same pumpers in their own colors.

ResQguy

Meh
Premium Subscriber
Who would those LFRD's be?
engine-710.jpg

MCMD5

Premium Subscriber
Cabin John purchased the engine themselves that is why it's painted the corporation color.
I remember reading that Laytonsville wanted to have the county engine in there color and offered to pay for the paint job and the county refused to allow it.

dmi

Premium Subscriber
Question:

What's the difference between an Engine and a Rescue Engine.. Is it the staffing on board?
also heard talk about RA-xxx for Reserve Ambulance I assume

ResQguy

Meh
Premium Subscriber
Question:

What's the difference between an Engine and a Rescue Engine.. Is it the staffing on board?
also heard talk about RA-xxx for Reserve Ambulance I assume

Short version: A rescue engine has a selection of extrication equipment on board in addition to the regular firefighting complement. In most cases, it is significantly less than what a rescue squad carries.

Status
Not open for further replies.