Montpelier PD gone Digital??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackink

You're welcome, Steve.

Let us know if you get a NAC for them, please.

I'm also wondering if Barre City PD has gone P-25, too? Do you listen to them, Steve?

Barre City PD is still analog on 460.0750 Tone 118.8. I hear them every time I'm near my scanner. The PD is always busy in Barre City.

I'll let you know if I get the NAC Jim, Thanks again.

ccraigvt

Premium Subscriber
I believe they are using the "default" NAC of $293 but I have most of my radios programmed with an RX nac of F7E.

It seems like they've been running mixed mode, with more and more emphasis on P25 operation as time goes on.

I've also been hearing some Washington County Sherrifs running P25 as well. I figure it won't be long until everyone in Central Vermont is running P25.

Blackink

I believe they are using the "default" NAC of $293 but I have most of my radios programmed with an RX nac of F7E.

It seems like they've been running mixed mode, with more and more emphasis on P25 operation as time goes on.

I've also been hearing some Washington County Sherrifs running P25 as well. I figure it won't be long until everyone in Central Vermont is running P25.

I hear ya.......

Blackink

MONTPELIER — The Montpelier Police Department is now using Project 25 digital voice technology for its radio communications.

Talk of the Town *:*Times Argus Online

Hi Jim (if you see this message)...
The link you posted doesn't work any more so I can't read up on it but I was wondering if the Uniden BCD325P2 scanner will pick up the Montpelier PD(MPD)?
It's a digital scanner with Phase I & II so I'm thinking it will and I don't believe MPD is encrypted. (Father's Day is a couple of days away and I have a hunch I'm getting this scanner).

What I'm not sure of is how to program the frequency into the scanner, meaning: do I just enter the 460.0500 frequency and leave the tone on SEARCH?

I believe MPD is transmitting, through a digital signal, on that frequency but I'm not sure what I should set the tone on.

Any help would be appreciated......
Thanks

ecps92

IF they are not ENC yes, the Radio will work on P25

Phase I and Phase II only apply to Trunking.

As to the article, many Online papers archive or totally remove older stories

Program in the Freq and set it to P25.

Hi Jim (if you see this message)...
The link you posted doesn't work any more so I can't read up on it but I was wondering if the Uniden BCD325P2 scanner will pick up the Montpelier PD(MPD)?
It's a digital scanner with Phase I & II so I'm thinking it will and I don't believe MPD is encrypted. (Father's Day is a couple of days away and I have a hunch I'm getting this scanner).

What I'm not sure of is how to program the frequency into the scanner, meaning: do I just enter the 460.0500 frequency and leave the tone on SEARCH?

I believe MPD is transmitting, through a digital signal, on that frequency but I'm not sure what I should set the tone on.

Any help would be appreciated......
Thanks

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Set the tone to Search, and it will find NAC in use... Or set it up as an One Freq Trunk, and it will find any TGs in addition to the NAC in use.

Blackink

OK....Father's Day is here and I did get a new BCD325P2 scanner!!

Thanks for the help milf & ecps92.

Before I enter that NAC info from the Scan New England link, do I enter it as N223 or 223 in the FreeScan software column for NAC?
It's silly question but before I download the info into my scanner, I'd like to know how it should be entered into Freescan.

Thanks.....

EDIT: And under the TONE column in Freescan, do I put NONE?

Now I'm gonna update my signature!

Last edited:

ecps92

Just enter the Numbers, the SNE wiki used
xx.x for PL
Dxxx for DPL
and Nxxx or $xxx for P25 NACs

It should not accept any letters except A-F for a NAC

OK....Father's Day is here and I did get a new BCD325P2
scanner!!

Thanks for the help milf & ecps92.

Before I enter that NAC info from the Scan New England link, do I enter it as N223 or 223 in the FreeScan software column for NAC?
It's silly question but before I download the info into my scanner, I'd like to know how it should be entered into Freescan.

Thanks.....

EDIT: And under the TONE column in Freescan, do I put NONE?

Now I'm gonna update my signature!

Blackink

Thank you, Steve, for the report!! Enjoy the new toy!

--Jim

Thanks Jim. I'm liking it so far. The display seems a bit dimmer than it should be but I'll live with that.

Eevntually I'll learn how to do a search for digital frequencies and see what I come up with....if anything.

I'll post any if successful.

jimlawrence

There's quite a few PDs around you that are using P-25, Steve. Don't be surprised when you hear them. Unfortunately, most of those PDs go encrypted when they use P-25. But not always.

Not sure how the modern-day receivers handle encrypted P-25. Unidens used to mute the audio. I'm not sure what your model does. Bill, do you know? Other manufacturers didn't mute it and just let the R2D2 noise of encrypted comms through. I'm sure you'll figure it out.

Last time I was there, Stowe PD was P-25 capable. As was every PD in the Burlington metro area. And Orange Co. sheriff. I think Washington Co. sheriff may be, too. And lots of PDs in New Hampshire, as well as the NH state police. And we won't even get into all the P-25 coming from Quebec and Ontario.

Happy listening!

ecps92

I've got the GRE/RS versions [pre-whistler]

Also and older P25 Uniden for some stealth work, trying to catch the NAC when it shows can require a few extra seconds of viewing

As to ENC, my older Uniden does Mute, however I do like to hear the ENC as it proves activity [mostly FED monitoring]

Steve take a peek at
APCO-25 Stations In Our Listening Area - Scan New England Wiki
for a short list
There's quite a few PDs around you that are using P-25, Steve. Don't be surprised when you hear them. Unfortunately, most of those PDs go encrypted when they use P-25. But not always.

Not sure how the modern-day receivers handle encrypted P-25. Unidens used to mute the audio. I'm not sure what your model does. Bill, do you know? Other manufacturers didn't mute it and just let the R2D2 noise of encrypted comms through. I'm sure you'll figure it out.

Last time I was there, Stowe PD was P-25 capable. As was every PD in the Burlington metro area. And Orange Co. sheriff. I think Washington Co. sheriff may be, too. And lots of PDs in New Hampshire, as well as the NH state police. And we won't even get into all the P-25 coming from Quebec and Ontario.

Happy listening!

Blackink

Hey Bill, thanks for that link. There's quite a few agencies that are P-25. And some good info too.

Now what I don't understand, as far as getting them published, is I didn't submit anything to Scan New England, yet my user name: Blackink, is listed next to the Montpelier PD entry with today's date (6-20-2017)!
How is that possible?

I did submit info for an entry on RadioReference to add the Montpelier PD Dispatch as 460.0500 with a NAC of 223. That hasn't even been updated as of today, but I only submitted it a couple of days ago and I realize submissions may take awhile.
But it looks like Scan new England has it.....

ecps92

The internet, anything is possible. :D
I took the liberty of adding your Confirmation update

Jim and I had it a few years ago, but it is always helpful to know when it was last reported/observed/confirmed, especially with the dual-mode changes occurring.

Back to those using P25, many moved to P25 but VT info has been hard to get updated.
Those are only those known, here is a nice Search by County of P25 Agencies.

United States Digital P25 Frequency Search
Note that altho licensed for P25 they may or maynot be using it.

Hey Bill, thanks for that link. There's quite a few agencies that are P-25. And some good info too.

Now what I don't understand, as far as getting them published, is I didn't submit anything to Scan New England, yet my user name: Blackink, is listed next to the Montpelier PD entry with today's date (6-20-2017)!
How is that possible?

I did submit info for an entry on RadioReference to add the Montpelier PD Dispatch as 460.0500 with a NAC of 223. That hasn't even been updated as of today, but I only submitted it a couple of days ago and I realize submissions may take awhile.
But it looks like Scan new England has it.....

Status
Not open for further replies.