Montreal - Dawson College Shooting

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordJ

Just updated 4 killed 16 injured..possibly 3 gunmen, apparantly 2 of them dead.

Live video feed mms://eyenet.wm.llnwd.net/eyenet_livenews1

Last edited:

karldotcom

is Montreal encrypted?

Are you guys hearing anything? Also, am I correct to assume Dawson College has unarmed security guards?

The live feeds show officers still running around.

Heck

Most of the feeds are request for info by officers at the scene.

The tac stuff are on something else so you never hear those stuff.

Heard some stuff regarding urgence sante as to where to send and transport to other hospitals.

Security Guards at Dawson are unarmed as are most if not all campus security here.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
CHQR radio (Corus affiliate in Calgary) reporting one suspect according to the MPD chief, shot dead by police; 20 injured, 11 in hospital with 8 critical. No mention of fatalities, but their reporting of the victims is horribly lacking.

plaws

Premium Subscriber
Not encrrypted

karldotcom said:
Are you guys hearing anything?

My old college, too - EMT-A in 1983!

No encryption for SPVM that I know of. SPVM (Montreal PD) are on 410-415 MHz and have been since the late 1980s. SIM (Montreal FD) is on an 800 MHz P25 system. Urgences Sante (EMS) is on a province-wide EDACS system. Rumo(u)r has it that the PD will move to the Fire system "soon".

jellotor

I believe the tally this morning was 2 dead: the shooter and a woman. 19 were apparently injured.

For those who may not know, I believe this college/school was essentially a grade 11+ setup where the students are aged 15 and up. I'm sure the former and current Montrealers here can fill us in...but I don't believe it's a college in the Ontario (community college or university) sense and there's been some confusion about that.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Graeme: It is a CEGEP.
A college in the true sense of the word. At the time it cost about $50 a year to attend (university in my first yr, 1989 was $650, not incl books).
Instead of Grade 12 & 13 you go to Cegep if you want to go to University.
Normally a CEGEp'er is between the ages of 17-19.

Sadly, I was there when a Concordia U professor went nuts and shot up some collegues. I did not see what hapenned but was registering for courses a few floors below and left just as the PD and fire trucks came screaming up the street (a common occurance in any city, I did not pay them much mind).

I also did hear all the action 3 years before that at the Ecole Polytechnique on my scanner and knew a ER doctor at a area hosptial who saved a few lives.

E

plaws

Premium Subscriber
Cegep

EJB said:
Graeme: It is a CEGEP.
A college in the true sense of the word. At the time it cost about $50 a year to attend (university in my first yr, 1989 was $650, not incl books).
Instead of Grade 12 & 13 you go to Cegep if you want to go to University.
Normally a CEGEp'er is between the ages of 17-19.

It's part of Quebec's "full employment for bureaucrats" plan - end high school a year early (11th grade), delay university by a year (most bachelor's degrees are 3 years) and make a whole new layer of bureucracy!

If things are similiar to when I went to John Abbott College (back in the Reagan Administration), the 2-year programs are all university prep and the 3-year programs are the equivalent of an Associate's degree.

Dawson, at the time I attended EMT class (1983), was spread over about 9 campuses in the city. Ten or 15 years ago, they were finally able to consolidate in a former convent diagonally accross from the former Forum. That's where the shooting was.

Three events in 17 years, all at educational facilities. Not good.

Peter

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Hey Peter: Do ya remember de la savanne and Selby, what about Showmart or the Viger campus
Eric Dawson C
86-89 Dec

jellotor

It does seem like there's a higher incidence of school/college shootings in Quebec. Perhaps that's a bit of a broad generalization but either way it's a perception among many.

plaws

Premium Subscriber
EJB said:
Hey Peter: Do ya remember de la savanne and Selby, what about Showmart or the Viger campus

Only went to Selby for the EMT class at night. Spent more time at Abbott. Used to take my BC100 with me on the bus and listen with headphones ... :D

Those were the days .... wait, no they weren't!

plaws

Premium Subscriber
jellotor said:
It does seem like there's a higher incidence of school/college shootings in Quebec. Perhaps that's a bit of a broad generalization but either way it's a perception among many.

On another list (Canada-based list), folks were talking about how "Montreal is still safer than those big Yankee cities". Dunno, man. I can't think of a single US city that's had three school shootings - can you? Can you name another city in Canada that's had one?

Funny, it wasn't scary when I grew up there ...

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Funny, it wasn't scary when I grew up there ...[/QUOTE]

Amen
A great place to have grown up at.

Status
Not open for further replies.