Montreal et Environs - WX

Status
Not open for further replies.

lotek502

Premium Subscriber
Bonjour,

Je me suis procurer un scanner Uniden BCD396XT. A l'aide de radio ref, et freescan, j'ai telecharger les reseaux trunking de ma zone, ainsi que les freqs conventionelles. Je ne semble pas avoir de probleme recevoir Urgence Sante, STM, SPVM, SQ, etc..

J'ai a travers freescan, configurer les groupes SAME et FIPS (032410, 032420, 032430, 032440) et je ne reussie pas encore a ententre le bulletin de nouvelle meteo continue.

Est-ce que les freqs 162.400-162.550 devrais contenir le bulletin continue? ou est-ce seulement pour des alertes?

Merci pour votre aide,

__
Lotek 502

lotek502

Premium Subscriber
Hi Kirk,

It's really strange, but when I enter the freq 162.550 ( I did try all from 162.400-162.550) and I just can't receive anything.. when I select JUMP to freq in my scanner control, I tried all the modulation modes too.

I get a bunch of noise if I select FMB or WFM. Otherwise I don't hear anything at all.

Whats weird if in my freescan screen, I can see Signal Strength is at 75%, but can't hear anything.

Could this be due to some setting I forgot to change on the scanner when I got it, to reflect a local parameter? Or do you think this could be an issue with scanner?

Another weird thing, if I select jump to, CB freqs.. theres nothing.. surprising to not have ANY communications on CB freqs. Is there any way I can test the different bands and make sure I don't have a defective scanner?

thanks

__
lotek502

kirk23

Pierrefonds (West Island Montreal) Qc Canada
Hi Kirk,

It's really strange, but when I enter the freq 162.550 ( I did try all from 162.400-162.550) and I just can't receive anything.. when I select JUMP to freq in my scanner control, I tried all the modulation modes too.

I get a bunch of noise if I select FMB or WFM. Otherwise I don't hear anything at all.

Whats weird if in my freescan screen, I can see Signal Strength is at 75%, but can't hear anything.

Could this be due to some setting I forgot to change on the scanner when I got it, to reflect a local parameter? Or do you think this could be an issue with scanner?

Another weird thing, if I select jump to, CB freqs.. theres nothing.. surprising to not have ANY communications on CB freqs. Is there any way I can test the different bands and make sure I don't have a defective scanner?

thanks

__
lotek502

Humm?
Ok 1st where are you located?
I am in Pierrefonds west near boul. St.Charles & Gouin. I pick up WX ch.1 162.550 FM with 3 bars (signal strength) on my 396XT with a 800mhz rubber antenna.

As far CB.. if you are close to an autoroute try ch. 2..19 or 35 in the Mtl area.. but on the island you mostly hear traffic during the rush hours monday to fridays.

When did you get your radio?..new or refurbished?
Are you picking up other things like the SIM..SPVM..RSP (Urgences Sante)?

lotek502

Premium Subscriber
Hi Kirk,

I'm in RDP, east-end of the island. Do I need a special antenna? I am using the regular antenna that came with the scanner. It's a rigid, screw in type.

Whats really weird is I hear nothing, not a garbled signal, or faint due to range.. it's like it just scans and never stops on anything, no sound coming out of entire CB and WX band.

I do receive other transmissions, from the freq imports I did for Montreal, so Urgence Sante, and SPVM.

Any tests you can recommend? Should I try it out while driving around and see if it was simply a range/interference issue? Just not sure how to properly determine whether it's 100% functional or not.

__
lotek 502

kirk23

Pierrefonds (West Island Montreal) Qc Canada
Hi Kirk,

I'm in RDP, east-end of the island. Do I need a special antenna? I am using the regular antenna that came with the scanner. It's a rigid, screw in type.

Whats really weird is I hear nothing, not a garbled signal, or faint due to range.. it's like it just scans and never stops on anything, no sound coming out of entire CB and WX band.

I do receive other transmissions, from the freq imports I did for Montreal, so Urgence Sante, and SPVM.

Any tests you can recommend? Should I try it out while driving around and see if it was simply a range/interference issue? Just not sure how to properly determine whether it's 100% functional or not.

__
lotek 502

Direct (private) message sent

lotek502

Premium Subscriber
WX issue solution = move around, find a clear spot to receive from.

It also really helped to get a crash course in using my BCD396XT correctly. Now that I understand the quickkeys and how to control which systems and groups I'm listening to.. just makes it much easier to operate.

Thanks very much for your help Kirk!

Going to keep playing with it and checking the online manuals and references. Also Antennas are going to be high on my reading priority list.

cheers!

__
lotek 502

VE2NCG

Premium Subscriber
Hi Kirk,

__
lotek 502

On the CB band, you won't heard a thing, perhaps the skip on channel 6, otherwise the scanner is not very sensitive on this band, and in AM... You don't need a special antenna but the antenna count for a lot in reception, an outdoor antenna connected via a coax cable will do marvel to your reception, the higher, the better, my 396 does not receive anything except the snow removal truckers very close to me but nothing else in the CB band, if you are REALLY interested in listening to CB, a 29.99$ cb radio will receive far better than your 396. I'm in Montreal-Nord currently and will move to RDP end of june, if you got others questions, drop me a line, will be my pleasure to help

Nick

Last edited:

lotek502

Premium Subscriber
Hi Nick,

Yeah, I actually have an old handheld CB from awhile back. I'll see if I can pickup some batteries or find an AC adapter in my bin to try it out. I guess I was just surprised to hear NOTHING ;) There used to be so much chatter on those channels.

I did some more in-depth testing, and noticed a few real "dead spots" in my office. So tethering to the PC without an external antenna isn't very effective. But I did more testing yesterday and when roaming outside, I did get a much stronger signal on just about every channel I tried scanning.

Thanks for your help,

__
lotek 502

Status
Not open for further replies.