Montreal: SIM settings (Pro-96)

Status
Not open for further replies.

plaws

Premium Subscriber
The RR database entry for SIM's Motorola trunked system
Montreal FIRE Trunking System, Montreal, Quebec - Scanner Frequencies
doesn't give any of the settings (base, step, offset, high, low). Anybody have that info?

Or better yet, does anyone have a working SIM system in a .P96 file?

Thanks!

Old thread, sorry, and you've surely figured out by now, but ... It's just a straight P25 system. Nothing fancy. Put in the control channels and the TGs and you should be good to go.

kirk23

Pierrefonds (West Island Montreal) Qc Canada
SIM extended tables

Old thread, sorry, and you've surely figured out by now, but ... It's just a straight P25 system. Nothing fancy. Put in the control channels and the TGs and you should be good to go.

not so correct Peter Laws......
there are extended tables for the SIM (Montreal Fire Dept) consists of 4 tables, the system can be monitored by just using the CC channels in the center of the city, but when you get south west (Lasalle, Lachine, Dorval) & the west island, the extended tables improve reception considerably...may not make a difference when using a uniden radio, but with the Pro-96 or other GRE made scanners it makes a BIG difference.

plaws

Premium Subscriber
not so correct Peter Laws......
there are extended tables for the SIM (Montreal Fire Dept) consists of 4 tables, the system can be monitored by just using the CC channels in the center of the city, but when you get south west (Lasalle, Lachine, Dorval) & the west island, the extended tables improve reception considerably...may not make a difference when using a uniden radio, but with the Pro-96 or other GRE made scanners it makes a BIG difference.

No idea what an "extended table" is. Must be a GRE thing.

I see they've added simulcast transmitters. About time. Reception at relatives in Pierrefonds was marginal on a scanner and I guess not so hot on real radios.

And they've added more simplex channels. Good. Trunking is OK, but not for fireground ops.

kirk23

Pierrefonds (West Island Montreal) Qc Canada
No idea what an "extended table" is. Must be a GRE thing.

I see they've added simulcast transmitters. About time. Reception at relatives in Pierrefonds was marginal on a scanner and I guess not so hot on real radios.

And they've added more simplex channels. Good. Trunking is OK, but not for fireground ops.

Well considering "DOOZ" was asking for the extended tables in order to program his Pro-96 which is a GRE product.. and you DON'T know what extended tables are & don't know the GRE scanners.. maybe you shouldn't have bothered to reply to him and give him wrong information.

now i understand the comments people made about you on the Montreal Lists & Intervention lists.

plaws

Premium Subscriber
Well considering "DOOZ" was asking for the extended tables in order to program his Pro-96 which is a GRE product.. and you DON'T know what extended tables are & don't know the GRE scanners.. maybe you shouldn't have bothered to reply to him and give him wrong information.

now i understand the comments people made about you on the Montreal Lists & Intervention lists.

Gee, a flame! Whatever shall I do? Should I be angry? What? :roll:

Actually, the OP asked for "base, step, offset, high, low" which are what Uniden terms a "band plan". That's not necessary for the SIM system - you just create a P25 System and enter the control channels. No muss, no fuss.

And yes, I checked, the control channels have not changed since I was there last.

What is different is that they are now simulcasting from multiple transmitters. I don't think they were doing that last summer. That can be a problem with P25 systems given that the data streams don't all arrive at the receiver at the same time. Milliseconds count and there can be milliseconds difference in the arrival times.

At least that's one theory. Actual P25 radios don't seem to have the problem, only some scanners.

But changing the band plan isn't going to fix it.

slypx

Quebec DB Adm
Premium Subscriber
And yes, I checked, the control channels have not changed since I was there last.

What is different is that they are now simulcasting from multiple transmitters. I don't think they were doing that last summer.

Hi Peter, certainly don't want to get in the "flame" - LOL ...

Just want to clarify that the 3 sites simul-cast has been going on for at least 3 years now. Memory is bad in the 40's but I think it up since summer 2007. There is also a political issue over the 4th site that is supposed to come "on the air" soon in Anjou. This one has been retarded for over a year.

For "dooz" and "Kirk23" neither my 396, 996 or PSR600 requires a "table", "base" or "step" or whatever ... download the thing from RR DB and standard P25 in programming does it all.

Good luck !

Giddeup

Premium Subscriber
I've downloaded the file from the database into my pro-96 and I have nothing happening. Have you guy's solved this issue or maybe this scanner isn't working right.

Giddeup

Premium Subscriber
No, I didn't realize that it was that old. Lol
I just picked up the pro 96, added the database into the scanner, did all my settings and still haven't heard a word come out.
I know they are running on the 9600 baud and I thought the pro96 would pick it up.

plaws

Premium Subscriber
No, I didn't realize that it was that old. Lol
I just picked up the pro 96, added the database into the scanner, did all my settings and still haven't heard a word come out.
I know they are running on the 9600 baud and I thought the pro96 would pick it up.

It would, the old system worked fine on any P25 scanner. But have they moved to the new system - that's the question.

Giddeup

Premium Subscriber
I'm not sure, it's running the same channels in the database and it works on the scanner at work but I can't get any reception on the pro 96. That's why I was wondering if I have to change the offset and stuff in win96

Status
Not open for further replies.