Montrose gets $1 million for radios, tower

Status
Not open for further replies.

RodStrong

Hopefully this will address the approximate 25 mile long dead spot on Highway 141 between Uravan in Montrose County to a few miles south of Gateway in Mesa County.

Montrose gets $1 million for radios, tower

By BEVERLY CORBELL
The Daily Sentinel

Saturday, May 17, 2008

MONTROSE — Being on the same wavelength with city cops helped Montrose Sheriff’s Department deputies catch a suspected bank robber last week, and thanks to a new $1 million grant, high-tech radios will be even more widespread in the county.

The Montrose Police Department has had 800-MHz radios for several years, but the Sheriff’s Department just got the digital devices a few months ago. Because of the improved communications, the agencies were able to talk to each other and quickly nab a bank robbery suspect Tuesday.

Not all agencies in the county have the expensive radios, which cost around $500 each, and some areas, such as the county’s West End, have dead spots where radio communication is all but impossible, said Robyn Funk, the county’s emergency management coordinator.

That problem will be solved, because the grant will pay for a new radio tower on the West End near King Solomon Mine, Funk said.

The new radios will make communication more consistent among county and town departments and emergency personnel in all areas, she said.

The grant, for $1,068,915, came from the Department of Commerce and was funneled through the state Office of Homeland Security. Funk said she and communications engineer Mark Young wrote the grant request in November.

Funk said she doesn’t know how many radios will be bought, but they will go to various agencies, including law enforcement and emergency personnel in Olathe and the West End, and employees of the county’s Road and Bridge and Public Works departments, she said.

“Now everybody will be able to talk to everybody,” she said.•

E-mail Beverly Corbell at bcorbell@gjds.com.

http://www.gjsentinel.com/hp/content/news/stories/2008/05/17/051808_3A_Montrose_radios.html

firescannerbob

Feed Provider
RodStrong said:
Not all agencies in the county have the expensive radios, which cost around $500 each, and some areas, such as the county’s West End, have dead spots where radio communication is all but impossible, said Robyn Funk, the county’s emergency management coordinator.

Where are they getting "expensive" $500 digital radios???

rfburns

Other Colorado DHS Grants Awarded

Other Colorado DHS grants awarded Friday were:
RTD, $831,648, Transit Security Grant Program (TSGP)
Ramblin Express, $184,415, Intercity Bus Security Grant Program (IBSGP)
$1,597,000 for the Buffer Zone Protection Program (BZPP) (critical infrastructure sites, including chemical facilities, financial institutions, nuclear and electric power plants, dams, stadiums, and other high-risk/high-consequence facilities, etc.)
I don't know how much money goes to security devices such as communications, AVL, radio mayday devices etc. Perhaps the state will put out a news release today with some specifics.

letarotor

Premium Subscriber
Yea, I want a couple of those "expensive $500.00 digital radios" also!!! I think she meant to say $5000.00.......or it was a misprint!!!

Last edited:

MMIC

If they are purchasing radios that cost $5000 (which implies the Motorola XTS-5000) then they are wasting valuable grant money. There are only a limited number of features that you get (namely immersability) over an XTS-2500, which is approximately half of the price. And is immersability really worth twice the price of the radio? It has to be tested annually or it won't be covered under a warranty.

Anytime agencies purchase XTS-5000 radios they are wasting money. I saw CDOT with XTS-5000s in the San Luis valley last week and I couldn't believe it. Maybe the State has too much money.

firescannerbob

Feed Provider
Political comments aside, :( I have learned that in actuality, the radios cost $2500/each. After matching grants, etc, the cost to the county was $500/each. The paper probably mis-understood the costs.

jfab

Our streets guys have the 5000's. Maybe they are more durable than the other models??
MMIC said:
If they are purchasing radios that cost $5000 (which implies the Motorola XTS-5000) then they are wasting valuable grant money. There are only a limited number of features that you get (namely immersability) over an XTS-2500, which is approximately half of the price. And is immersability really worth twice the price of the radio? It has to be tested annually or it won't be covered under a warranty.

Anytime agencies purchase XTS-5000 radios they are wasting money. I saw CDOT with XTS-5000s in the San Luis valley last week and I couldn't believe it. Maybe the State has too much money.

letarotor

Premium Subscriber
"After matching grants, etc, the cost to the county was $500/each. The paper probably mis-understood the costs."

Not a bad deal at all, about the same price as a good competitive brand VHF or UHF handheld or mobile.

Status
Not open for further replies.