More 10 meter CW !

Status
Not open for further replies.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Well, that's what a 'brass pounder' is! LOL

They'll never take VHF ... too easy to find 'em.

Someday they may not have a choice. I still retain my cw skills but only use them for programming controllers that require cwid's.
Otherwise.....Nah!

n9zas

AA1LL

more 10 meter DX, and more !

Last month (September 2011) I started chasing DX during lunch break with 5 WATTS from my parked car on 10, 12 and 15 meters CW. I have never missed hearing and working tons of Europeans from Ireland to the Ukraine. Each of those bands is more crowded at around 1600Z than 40 meters is at night! Its amazing!! And they are great CW ops who want to rag chew! I'm only using a 13 foot crappie pole vertical with 3 radials--and 5 watts! Check out the picture. The vertical wire is attached to the black fishing pole stuck out the rear passenger side window of the Jeep.

I have not heard any Freebanders yet unless they are bootlegging DX and are CW ops...which would be novel, but still not legal.

Attachments

• CrappiePoleVert3aSmall.jpg
    CrappiePoleVert3aSmall.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 331

k9rzz

Good job. I imagine that the freebander QRM is worse here due to the typical N/S propagation and that they are but a single hop away. I have to say that 10 meter CW activity has picked up the past week or so. Have heard a number of sizable DXpedition pileups which really helps move those bozos off.

gcgrotz

I was going to try to work one of those expeditions the other night. I've made a few CW contacts recently and it is usually all good but that guy must have been sending 35 wpm Just a little bit fast for me. I really need to practice. I think I'm going to put up a half wave vertical for 10.

peterwo2e

10 meters

The band was open to who knows where the other day, and the lower 200khz of 10 meters was loaded with 11 meter free banders, all in Spanish.

They're taking over!

Last year, I tuned across the band while in the mobile and heard a local calling CQ. He had his memory keyer on repeat and just kept calling. So, I pulled over and worked him by keying with the microphone (and my antenna was only a 2 meter whip). We had a nice chat and exchanged QSL cards.

Get up there and call CQ, work some folks. Throw your PSK up there before we loose that part of the spectrum.
2 solar cycles away 10 meters would put 20 meters to shame i keep telling folks to listen for the ten meter beacons i can't stress this enough i work into san jose spain a few days ago on ssb 28.4 on low power i though for a minute that he was a local calling cq, last month i work a dxpedition on the south pasific. QRP. these young newbies that are coming up on the hobby have never seen ten meters fully open yet. is a great experience to work the world with a small beam and low power this is what ten will give you. by the way a few years ago 10 meters was being invaded by private car service from new york city after about a year of constant complaints the FCC step in. they took care of the problem. before i turn into a silent key i would like to see ten meter return to its glory DX days.

peterwo2e

I was going to try to work one of those expeditions the other night. I've made a few CW contacts recently and it is usually all good but that guy must have been sending 35 wpm Just a little bit fast for me. I really need to practice. I think I'm going to put up a half wave vertical for 10.

im not that fast either but thank god is not a qso he looking for just contacts 599 rst and thats it, so as long as you know how your call sounds just set your keyer to high speed and memory to 5NN and tu. lol
thats it!!

Status
Not open for further replies.