More BCDx36HP tutorial videos?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fenderblue

Upman, I liked the the Video "sentinel creating custom favorite list". Did you have another video to show how to get this in the 536. I have to have a video to show me about everything in the more. More complicated then I want it to me.

greggk

Premium Subscriber
I have the exact same question. I watched "How to make a favorites list", or something like that, 3 Times. I now believe I have a favorites list properly prepared in the Sentinel Software.

I have searched everywhere I can think of for how to properly download it all to the 436.

Any help would be appreciated. I could try to do it myself, but I did that yesterday and had to reset the scanner. I would feel better with some help the first time.

In the video, the creator stopped at downloading, and said more to come. I cannot find anything else.

Greg

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Someone must have an answer for this?
If you've created, or edited, a Favorites List in Sentinel, and want to download that to the scanner:
First, make sure that your profile shows that the list is set to download to the scanner. That's under "Scan Selection" tab on your profile. The profile can be accessed via the 'pencil on a tablet' icon on the top of the window, or under the "Edit" drop-down menu, or by using the keyboard shortcut <CTRL> + <1> (the control key plus the numeral 1).
You should see "yes" in the 'download' column for all lists you wish to load.

Presuming that's set correctly, then use the "write to scanner" icon to load your favorites (as well as update the database).
That's the small 'scanner' icon on the right under the "Scanner" drop down menu at the top. The write to scanner one has a 'down' arrow; the other 'scanner' icon to it's left has an 'up' arrow and is the "read from scanner" button.
You can also access the write function from the drop down Scanner menu or by using keyboard shortcut <CTRL> + <W>.

fenderblue

We all know they are trying their best to answer our question. I am having getting my P25 sites load also. I keep searching and try things on this site to help. learn more everyday.

fenderblue

I can load the Missouri Highway patrol site(2 of them) but when I do I get all of the tower sites? The site I get is the last one the list, something about wheels. I really want the Winston site. I need refreshed.

greggk

Premium Subscriber
Thank you. I did as you said and all went well. I had one favorites list that I made, and I assigned the quick key as #9.

When I press #9, I get a screen that says quick key key navigation. On the bottom of the screen it says F9, FO, and SO. If I press #9, nothing but a beep.

Will my favorite list #9 mix in with all the rest of the channels, or can I turn the Full data base off and just monitor #9 without going back to the software.

Thanks again..Greg

greggk

Premium Subscriber
UPDATE: I used the scanner to turn off the full database and just monitor my one favorite key, #9. But when I press #9 it says Nothing to scan? So then I went to select service types, and it would not allow me to turn on anything.

This really is more difficult then it needs to be.

greggk

Premium Subscriber
Well, I turned off the full database monitoring in the software, and uploaded only the favorites list. Its all there but keeps telling me Nothing to scan?

Where do I go from here?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I can load the Missouri Highway patrol site(2 of them) but when I do I get all of the tower sites? The site I get is the last one the list, something about wheels. I really want the Winston site. I need refreshed.
If you are creating your list by using the location, it's going to pick the sites based on the location you enter, and the range setting you've chosen. The "Site on Wheels" is listed as Statewide. That's a trailer mounted site, probably deployed either to replace a site damaged or destroyed by, say, a tornado, or perhaps to increase coverage at a large event.

You might get more of the sites by changing the location used, or increasing your range setting. Or, you can get the other sites by manually appending them in Sentinel. Go into the databases in the upper left pane of the Sentinel window.
Click on "US" to expand it.
Now, click on "Missouri" to expand that.
Now, drop down to your county, Daviess. Click on it to expand.
Next, click on the Statewide folder underneath Daviess.
There, you'll see Missouri Statewide Wireless,,, (MOSWIN)
If you right click on it, you can append that to your Favorites list.

Now, that will append the whole system, sites, talkgroups, the works. But, you can quickly trim it down in the main Sentinel window without having to go into the Edit mode.

Just click on the system name in the left pane.
In the right pane, you'll see all the various "Departments" (sets of talkgroups) as well as all of the sites.
You can delete a range of consecutive entries by holding down the Shift key, and clicking the first and last entry of the group you'd like to remove. Then, with them highlighted, right click in the highlighted area and chose the "Remove from Favorites List" option. Or, just use the Delete key.
To pick and choose individual, non-consecutive, 'departments' and sites to remove, hold down the control key, & keep holding it down as you click each one to highlight, then delete as above.

Once you're done, then hit the save button or choose it from the File menu, to save your changes.

Remember that if the real reason you're not getting the Winston site loaded (before creating manually) was because of location, then you may still have to adjust your range setting to get the scanner to utilize it.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Well, I turned off the full database monitoring in the software, and uploaded only the favorites list. Its all there but keeps telling me Nothing to scan?

Where do I go from here?
Check your profile to make sure that the quick key for FL 9 is enabled (that's a tab on the profile).

greggk

Premium Subscriber
Steve, I have #9 checked in the profile. I also have Monitor set to ON and download set to ON.

I checked my service types and Public works is checked. I've done all that I know how to do. When I press the quick key on the scanner, at the top it shows #9. Under that it has F9, Then S: then D:

I have the #9 turned ON.

I am just lost now.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Steve, I have #9 checked in the profile. I also have Monitor set to ON and download set to ON.

I checked my service types and Public works is checked. I've done all that I know how to do. When I press the quick key on the scanner, at the top it shows #9. Under that it has F9, Then S: then D:

I have the #9 turned ON.

I am just lost now.
To turn FL 9 "on" in the scanner, you need to press 0 + 9, then "E" (enter. That toggles it on/off. Try that.

greggk

Premium Subscriber
One last thing Steve and I am done for the night but still utterly frustrated. In the edit favorites list, there is a tab for quick key status. They are all checked. Do I uncheck them all and then just check #9, or do I just uncheck #9 and keep the rest checked?

greggk

Premium Subscriber
I tried 0 plus 9 plus E. It toggles on and off. When I set it top on, it still says Nothing to scan.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
One last thing Steve and I am done for the night but still utterly frustrated. In the edit favorites list, there is a tab for quick key status. They are all checked. Do I uncheck them all and then just check #9, or do I just uncheck #9 and keep the rest checked?
I have all mine checked, and leave them that way. However, the only ones that HAVE to be "checked" are those being used.

Export your FL to an hpe file & post it. You'll have to add an extension to it, such as if the file was named greg.hpe, then the name used to upload to the forums would be greg.hpe.txt, or else zip it with a file utility like Winzip.

I suspect it will just be something simple, either in the list or your profile, but it's hard to guess long distance.

greggk

Premium Subscriber
One last time Steve. I appreciate your help. I have been thru every menu and sub menu on the scanner itself, all the way down to the individual channel settings. I understand what I am looking at, and what buttons I push, but no luck. When I tell the scanner to load everything, it first loads the Full data then the #9 selection, which I call IDOT.

I just do not have any more options myself.

Thanks

Greg

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
One last time Steve. I appreciate your help. I have been thru every menu and sub menu on the scanner itself, all the way down to the individual channel settings. I understand what I am looking at, and what buttons I push, but no luck. When I tell the scanner to load everything, it first loads the Full data then the #9 selection, which I call IDOT.

I just do not have any more options myself.

Thanks

Greg
I know the feeling. Sometimes things don't cooperate with me either, and I get frustrated. Today at work, IT took my laptop to try to diagnose a random shutdown issue, so I had to use a loaner which did not have everything I needed. Had to download & reload.

Well, this afternoon, they brought mine back, said no hardware failures found, but was a configuration issue, which was corrected. Corrected so well that it worked for one whole hour before it crashed on me in the middle of placing parts orders. Wednesday is the only day I'm in the office. The other days of the week, I work from home, so it will be next week before I can get a re-do.

If you prefer, shoot me a pm with your email address, and I'll answer that. I'd still like to see an export of the FL, and also your profile, to see if anything catches my attention.

It probably will be tomorrow before I answer. Been a long day.

Status
Not open for further replies.