More bogus information in DB for Calgary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Hi mciupa etc.,

We appear to have someone submitting garbage again.

I was surprised a few weeks ago to start seeing prolific amounts of DMR data which was reportedly encrypted, showing up in the Hotels category.

The latest three updates are definitely bogus.

Carriage House Inn is not licensed for 476.1000 nor is anyone within 500km of Calgary.

Sandman Hotel & Suites is not licensed for 470.0000 nor is anyone within 500km of Calgary.

And it would be extremely irregular for the Travelodge Hotel Calgary South to get permission to use frequency 155.43 - reserved for RCMP in Alberta if not nationwide - for a DMR system. [In addition, an alternate name for the Travelodge Hotel Calgary South is Travelodge Calgary Macleod Trait - in other words, it was submitted twice under different names.]

I also see that the Palliser was submitted with the frequencies reversed, with 468.x freqs as repeater outputs instead of inputs. (In addition, the Palliser is actually on the TAC Solutions MotoTRBO system, not their own frequency.)

I would strongly suggest deleting all data submitted by this person. Unless they'd like to come to the forums and explain their sources for this info...

harryshute

Premium Subscriber
Hi mciupa etc.,

We appear to have someone submitting garbage again.

I was surprised a few weeks ago to start seeing prolific amounts of DMR data which was reportedly encrypted, showing up in the Hotels category.

The latest three updates are definitely bogus.

Carriage House Inn is not licensed for 476.1000 nor is anyone within 500km of Calgary.

Sandman Hotel & Suites is not licensed for 470.0000 nor is anyone within 500km of Calgary.

And it would be extremely irregular for the Travelodge Hotel Calgary South to get permission to use frequency 155.43 - reserved for RCMP in Alberta if not nationwide - for a DMR system. [In addition, an alternate name for the Travelodge Hotel Calgary South is Travelodge Calgary Macleod Trait - in other words, it was submitted twice under different names.]

I also see that the Palliser was submitted with the frequencies reversed, with 468.x freqs as repeater outputs instead of inputs. (In addition, the Palliser is actually on the TAC Solutions MotoTRBO system, not their own frequency.)

I would strongly suggest deleting all data submitted by this person. Unless they'd like to come to the forums and explain their sources for this info...

I too was very doubtful about those submissions. Today convinced me they were bogus. Could it be the same bogus poster as before using a different name?

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
No need to apologize. I'm still perplexed that someone goes to this much effort to submit incorrect data. The only possible reasons for this that I can think of are either (a) a misguided belief that data submissions count towards some kind of reputation and/or validation on the site, i.e., submitting data (correct or not) gets you "cool points" you can trade in for respect from other site users and admins; or (b) it's a deliberate attempt to corrupt the database and make it unusable, as a countermeasure to some perceived slight against the person doing the submitting, as if to punish those who he/she believes are at fault.

There's also (c) ... it's nonsensical debris spewed out from a troubled mind that needs professional help but refuses to get it.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Also don't discount that it could be someone who works for the local radio shop that installs/maintains the systems, trying to purposely obfuscate data in a poor attempt to "protect" their systems. Especially if you're getting submissions for the same types of businesses/systems in a particular area.

Or, simply a troll who enjoys trying to create some chaos and drama. The same type who would be reading this thread and laughing.

mciupa

I can't wait to update Sentinel Full Database next week so I can give my HP-II and 536 a good flush.

SCPD

QRT
I thought the AB admin was from Calgary. Wouldn't he have caught this before it being approved.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

mciupa

I thought the AB admin was from Calgary. Wouldn't he have caught this before it being approved.

I can't speak for him but, in general with submissions, the expectation is to own them and work them ASAP. It is unacceptable to have stale submissions and just not fair to someone who is waiting for them to be worked. To me, this is a lack of respect.

If I noticed a submission after three days without ownership, and other administrators not logging in to check the open queue (we have a check-in status board that is private) then I would own/work them.

I appreciate the membership speaking up to make things right.

Thanks! :)

SCPD

QRT
I can't speak for him but, in general with submissions, the expectation is to own them and work them ASAP. It is unacceptable to have stale submissions and just not fair to someone who is waiting for them to be worked. To me, this is a lack of respect.

If I noticed a submission after three days without ownership, and other administrators not logging in to check the open queue (we have a check-in status board that is private) then I would own/work them.

I appreciate the membership speaking up to make things right.

Thanks! :)
Makes sense, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.