• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

More classic radio gear

Status
Not open for further replies.

DieselFF918

Hey all, I have received more classic radio gear after my parents visited family for Thanksgiving.

I have received an E.F. Johnson Viking Messenger CB of early 60's vintage, an E.F. Johnson CB of slightly later vintage late 60's possible early 70's, a CDE antenna rotor control, an Echo swr/power moldulation tester, a second Astatic desk mic, a Turner desk mic, a code key with an Ameco Code Practice Oscillator, and various cables and crystals.

Probably on Monday, I will bring the camera over from my parents house, and get some pictures to post.

fischlerpromo

Hey all, I have received more classic radio gear after my parents visited family for Thanksgiving.

I have received an E.F. Johnson Viking Messenger CB of early 60's vintage, an E.F. Johnson CB of slightly later vintage late 60's possible early 70's, a CDE antenna rotor control, an Echo swr/power moldulation tester, a second Astatic desk mic, a Turner desk mic, a code key with an Ameco Code Practice Oscillator, and various cables and crystals.

Probably on Monday, I will bring the camera over from my parents house, and get some pictures to post.

I recall the Turner Mic when I was involved in CB's back in the 70's.

What is the name of the mic that is round about 3.5-4 or so inches in diameter with a wire mess front?
That's the type mic. this guy that was running that 1K Watt linear with his system used.

DieselFF918

I now have 2 D-104 mics, only problem is, one stand doesnt have a connector on the end of the cord, and the one that does, doesnt even register on the pwr meter on my base unit when I key it.

So I have to do some investigating, to see whether the problem is in the mic or in the base unit.

DieselFF918

Hey all, I finally got a couple of pics of my CB collection.

The first pic from left to right: E.F. Johnson Viking Messenger 1 on bottom, Viking Messenger 3 on top, Cobra 78x mobile, Cobra 26 mobile, Sonar linear amp on bottom, Black Cat amp on top, Cobra 142GTL base, Echo SWR power & modulation tester on bottom, Lykes swr bridge on top.

Mics: back left Astatic D-104 on a T-UG9 stand, back right Astatic D-104 on a G-stand, center in front Turner 254 desk mic, front left original Viking Messenger mic.

The second pic: code practice key with Ameco oscillator on left, CDE antenna rotor control on right.

Attachments

• DSCF1090.jpg
    DSCF1090.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 1,431
  • DSCF1096.jpg
    DSCF1096.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 1,212

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
That straight key is a very common Speed-X, cheap and dirty so there are many in use. The Ameco CPO was great for practicing Morse code, I have a transistor version kicking around somewhere. Now put that Astatic "banana mic" on the Messenger 1 where it belongs, those Turner mobile crystal mics can be used for other tube type rigs. Hmmm, that Turner 254 sure brings back memories (as if the whole collection doesn't) and for whatever it's worth all those Turners came with crystal cartridges or if ceramic the suffix would be C as in the classic 254C.

Now I wouldn't be a true blue ham if I don't tell you to squirrel those amps away and never use one. I'll bet that Black Cat is dirty as hell but I'll let you in on a secret, the Sonar and Courier amps of the day were very clean and distortion free when properly tuned. DC input to the tubes was around 80-90W which gave something like 30-40W RF output, not so much as to attract attention unless turned on and off so we left them on full time. (;->) So why do I rant against "leenyars"? The reason is simple, even a few early tube amps were QRM and RFI boxes, then today's "pill boxes" made in the back room of a truck stop are the worst of all. A good operator is a Boy Scout, always considerate of others.

Eh, I was a Girl Scout. I scouted for girls and always came prepared. (;->)

Status
Not open for further replies.