More Dispatch Center Mergers In Summit County

Status
Not open for further replies.

MotorolaDave

It looks like Barberton will be the next city merging their dispatch center in Summit County. Barberton and Copley will allow Norton to do all of their dispatching come 2013. I guess that is a good thing for a lot of folks in Summit County who can't pick up the weak Barberton 800mhz analog system. Barberton will surely use the new Bath P25 system.

Dispatch center could expand to include Barberton - Local - Ohio

jsoltis

Premium Subscriber
Update: On 5/21/2013 I heard Barberton doing "sound checks" from the Norton facility.

Reply from dispatcher was something like, "You sound OK, far away like from Norton or somewhere but OK I guess", said (I thought) with a note of bitter sarcasm.

KWs

Premium Subscriber
Barberton / Norton / New Franklin will be on their own NEW P25 system this year .... This P25 system and the Bath / Copley Fairlawn P25 will eventually be merged back into Summit / Akron when they upgrade to P25.

jsoltis

Premium Subscriber
Barberton / Norton / New Franklin will be on their own NEW P25 system this year .... This P25 system and the Bath / Copley Fairlawn P25 will eventually be merged back into Summit / Akron when they upgrade to P25.
Do you know how that will work with Copley sharing dispatch with Norton and Barberton?

KWs

Premium Subscriber
I assume just the way the consoles will be set up .. A Copley call goes out on their system a Norton call goes out on that system .. Kind of like however Richfield consoles are set up, Richfield uses their own 800 system, and they Dispatch Valley on Summit / Akron 800.

jsoltis

Premium Subscriber
I understand how the radio part of this will work. I just think it is a convoluted way to organize the communications. It seems to make more sense from a geographic sense that Copley's Dispatch Center share a physical location with Bath and Fairlawn while New Franklin shares the one in Norton. They organized the P25 radio system for those communities that way, why not the actual physical locations.

kbigdog

I agree. Copley, Bath, and Fairlawn all help each other, especially in the Montrose area. It would make sense to have them all in 1 building. Also it kind of weird because station 2 is staffed with Copley and Bath personal and equipment. You would think these 3 departments would get together on this.

jsoltis

Premium Subscriber

It seems to me that if an increase of ERP from 40 to 125 watts is necessary then the original calculations made were greatly off target. As noted by the FCC that additional power would increase coverage area whether needed or wanted.

Bath also has other solutions available such as filing for an STA during the freeze which they chose not to do, probably due to expense. That extra expense probably should be shouldered by Sprint/Nextel if the 40 watt calculation was done by them.

It seems to me that Bath and Sprint made a big mistake and now want a get out of jail solution to a problem they created for themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.