More info on Bradley County Sheriff wanting new radio system

Status
Not open for further replies.

CFD288

Analog comm system worries Watson | The Cleveland Daily Banner

I previously posted a video link concerning the Bradley County Sheriff asking for encryption on their system. Here is an article in the local paper Monday 1/25/16 with some more information. What I don't understand is that the BCSO already has talk groups on TACN; in fact they already regularly use the administration talkgroup to discuss patrol assignments and other business. The article mentions that BCSO needs to be able to communicate (interop) with Cleveland Police which are fully on TACN. Seems like they already have this capability since they use TACN....can't understand the comment about not having radio towers to connect to TACN. Seems like the sheriff is wanting to purchase a separate 800mhz radio system owned and operated by the county. The only explanation I can come up with is that not all the units have been equipped with 800mhz radios, just the high ranking officers.

I realize both the sheriff and the reporter may not have all their facts exactly right but it sure has me scratching my head over the extra $$$$ that may be spent.

Scotty

tosh

Premium Subscriber
Charleston PD

Does the Charleston PD operate or get dispatched by the BCSO on their channel ? I have not heard them on the TACN.

CFD288

Not 100% sure but I think Charleston PD is dispatched on BCSO main VHF channel. The RR database shows a frequency for Charleston on VHF high. The only BCSO action on TACN is a couple of administration and operations talkgroups.

Scotty

Status
Not open for further replies.