More Mass state PD Trunking help needed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

djs9164

I live in MA. I have the Pro 97 which is a handheld version of your scanner. If your banks are set to open it will pick up any and all talk-group Ids. You need to set the bank to closed and it will pick up oly the ones you have programmed. As far as control channels I only programmed one site per bank using the control channel only. You can program the alternates but is not needed. What software are you using to program?

w1av

Hi Pete, I have radio set in trunking for "OPEN" . I do have capability to TAG talk groups but havent done that yet cause I am unsure some of them are actually what the Scan NE site labels them. I have programmed in about 20 talkgroups for the zone I monitor. But sometimes a talkgroup number shows up that I DIDNT program. I just keep looking them all up when they come in while scanning. I have a list I typed up of all the talkgroups I have. I just add to it when a new one shows up. I did notice there is alot of overlap (in talkgroups) from other trunk systems too. My radio does not ask if I want to TAG a talkgroup but there is the option to manually tag talk groups, channels and banks. I am not sure if the radio has the option to set for automatically alpha tagging talkgroups it finds.
To W1AV
Your learning all about this stuff like the rest of us. I think thumb bumping all this info in and trail and error teaches you more about Trunking and all the things like talk groups control channels then buying a big rig putting in you zip code an learn nothing.
Experimenting with home made antenna's and coax is the fun part for me.
Also for the fun of listening try the CMED Frequencies the Hospitals (463Mhz) and the ambulances ( 468 Mhz) there is a ton of traffic in this area. Ri Hospital and Hasbro are on 463.000 with a phone patch but all the other channels are active too.

Pete N1EXA

Hello Pete
I didn't know those UHF (463) MED channels were around anymore. I remember them from the 1980's. I just programmed them in so I will listen. I like building antennas too. I have been listening to everything on a 1/2 wave dipole I made cut for VHF high. This antenna actually was a spare I put on other end of house so I could listen to a scanner in basement where I have a finished room. My main antenna is a Diamond discone. But the coax that came with it is really cheap crappy thin stuff. I get better results with the dipole! SO I ended up moving that spare dipole to opposite end of house to use in my radio room till I get the discone squared away with a new length of LMR 400 and new mast sections. As soon as weather gets warm enuff I will replace.

w1av

I live in MA. I have the Pro 97 which is a handheld version of your scanner. If your banks are set to open it will pick up any and all talk-group Ids. You need to set the bank to closed and it will pick up oly the ones you have programmed. As far as control channels I only programmed one site per bank using the control channel only. You can program the alternates but is not needed. What software are you using to program?

I dont have software. Been manually programming. Which sucks! I probably should look into a cable and software.

Status
Not open for further replies.