More on digital danger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abb0

Premium Subscriber
Or standing next to diesel engines running big pumps. Or screaming people. Or noisy, collapsing roofs (walls, floors). Or talking fast and indistinctly. In short, there is a big difference between a quite squad car and noisy, confusing fire scene.

Well, I work for an APCO P25 manufacturer (no, I'm not going to say which, although I will say it's not Mot) and I have been present during testing of our product next to revving diesel engines and high wind and sirens and the noise cancelling has been excellent. The audio was acceptable. I'm not trying to say that it was perfect, of course it wasn't, but the speech was able to be understood.

I think it funny how people are confusing P25 digital or 800MHz or whatever, with what are probably RF issues. I would like to see a demonstration of the clear audio from an analog radio in a basement next to a diesel engine. I suspect the speech would be no better than the P25 audio. In fact, I suspect the P25 audio would be better overall.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
Really? Apparently you are watching too much CSI and NCIS. Cops are in basements, on roofs, inside concrete buildings searching for subjects and everywhere else and often there before the firefighters get out of bed to come to a fire.

Ahh - the good old "cops are the best things since sliced bread, firefighters are stupid" reply. Wondered how long that would take to get someone to say. When you have a little more experience than watching COPS on TV as your basis for law enforcement experience, stop by again ;)

perry211

Premium Subscriber
Roanoke Co Va. Used low band in the 60s-80s

look into the history of agencies in california. LA Fire would be one that was most likely to adopt new radio technology as it came available.

if anyone was using AM it probably would have been them.

if i have some time i will do some digging and see what i can come up with.

We used 45.08 and went to 46.38 because of a Fire Dept. in Texas comming in during the summer.
We are on Digital 800 now and it sucks. We use High Band 158.00 for our members with 1 repeter and it rocks. I think VHV or UHF with multible sites beats the crap out of 800. We are in the moutians but the multible 800 sites beat together and the scanners can't handle it. If you are on a hill like I am, I have to use an antenna in my basement for my scanner.

ResQguy

Meh
This is unreal. How many of you are radio technicians or urban (concrete basement, as opposed to dirt wall?) firefighters and use this equipment on a daily basis, as opposed to 'reading about it on the internet' or 'heard from a friend'? Some of these systems actually work quite well, but nobody publishes the good stories because it doesn't sell newspapers...

Anyway, it says right in the text that "an extended comment period has delayed the start of testing".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.