More on OHP Troop B Motor units

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freqed

I'm just a listener
Premium Subscriber
I watched for about half an hour today, 4 motor units work the construction area of westbound I-44 @ Yale. I heard as I was coming into the zone a unit check out @ Harvard, So I knew there was something up ahead. As I came through the construction I heard another unit check out @ Harvard. I come around the curve and there they were, not 1, not 2 but 4 OHP Harley's. They are not using Motor designators when they talk to Hdqrs and neither is Hdqrs. 419 is one unit I saw (License Plate) 397, among others. Some of the bikes had LIDAR units, and the other one's just waited for directions on who to stop.

On another note, this is why I invest in electronic countermeasures, as the officer pulls the LIDAR gun out of the saddle bag he has to bang on it to get it to work!

freqscout

Well tell me where you are at and I will see to it that OHP arrests YOU for having electronic countermeasures. Those are definately illegal.

mfolta1

u didnt notice the plane above them??? he was their radar...overhead that is....ecm's,,,bad news. if they find you with it.

okla-lawman

I was going home this morning and there were three working traffic on hwy 51 near 169. I did not see a plane then. I was shocked to see them as I thought Ohp only had 1 motor in Tulsa.

ECM=Jail if it is active. They are prohibited by state law and if it uses radar...hmm using a unlicensed microwave device....big time FCC fine and prison. Most agecies are not using lidar. Lidar is easy to defeat legally.

freqscout

LIDAR is not easy to beat if you were properly trained and signed off on it, just like RADAR. Same principle, different emission source. LADAR is actually more accurate than RADAR.
You don't have to have a license for Speed RADARs. They are on frequencies open licensed to the manufacturers.

iamhere300

You DO have to have a license for speed radars, other than the cheap models
that fall under part 15 (Which have no range)

The blanket that you may refer to is a blanked exemption from a license IF you are
a public safety agency that has a regular radio license. It does not in any way apply
to the public or private individuals.

freqscout said:
LIDAR is not easy to beat if you were properly trained and signed off on it, just like RADAR. Same principle, different emission source. LADAR is actually more accurate than RADAR.
You don't have to have a license for Speed RADARs. They are on frequencies open licensed to the manufacturers.

okla-lawman

I am certified on both rdar and lidar.Lidar is a LOT easier to deceas its effectiveness.
Liadar operators ar taught to fire at the front licnese plate as it is reflective. If no license plat the head lights or other shiny reflectie parts. Light does not bounce of or reflect well off of dark or dull surfaces. The surface needs to go almost vertical to reflect light properly, Steep angled car bodies tend to reflect the light away from the car usually up not back towardthe lidar dastically redcing the range. An automotive bra is very non reflective thus reducing the range. Kustom electronics in their training video even admit that just turning on the hedlights on reduces the lidar's range. Car and Driver magazine did an experiment some years back. They cofirmed that the headlights on reduces range. They went a few stps further by instaling high intensity Infared driving lights.They really reduce the lidars range, They did a few things and got the effective rane of the lidar down to less than 150 feet.
Radar is a lot harder to reduce its effectiveness. Radar can pass through the materials used in most cars and get to the metal undeneath. Yes they do make radar absorbing bras, paint and jammers. Most do little and cost a lot.

freqscout

Even if the "effective range" is decreased the light speed equation is still the same. Light moves at the same speed regardless of what it bounces off of. The only thing that might changes is the amount of reflected light. If the light speed equation changed then you could not use it at all because it would be an inaccurate and therefore unusable science that would not be employable as a speed measuring technology to begin with.

dstew67

Premium Subscriber
In my mind, it wouldn't matter much if the range was effected moderately. Most of the time I see someone using LIDAR, they are standing away from their vehicle, like on an overpass, or next to a building or sign coming out of a turn. Therefore, you have to be fairly close, or be looking up to see the officer with the LIDAR. Couple that with the fact that LIDAR is considerably more difficult to detect, and you still more than likely have a ticket if you're speeding.

okla-lawman

Lidar range can be reduced to less than 200 feet. according to the Car and driver test results. Cutom even mentions this in their video. I am not sayng it does not work. It is just a lot easier to reduce the effectiveness of it..ie range, over radar. I have written thousands of radar tickets, You all ont understand something though. in Ok. you dont need radar or lidar to wite tickets. All police officers by law, are expert judge of speeds and may tetify to it in court. If a police officer goes to court his testimony wont be I obrseved him on radar going 20 over it will be I observed this vehicle and I estimated him at 20 over and confirmed it with my radar. Bleive me you cant fight it if the police just estimate and dont have radar. The first ticket I ever got was that away and I tried to fight it....and lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.