More pager questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined
Jul 17, 2006
Messages
16
Lot of topics about pagers.

i got a question myself.

i would like to get an alphanumeric pager.

i want it to work with a pg county firestation. i really dont know what im looking for when it comes to purchasing one. such as what kind i can get that will work with the station fire tones.

ive searched but really haven't found anything helpful
so any help and or recommendations would be appreciated.

thanks
-jason
 

gesucks

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Dec 19, 2002
Messages
672
Location
Our Nation's capitol
Pager

IF you are a member in PG county, talk to your chief. otherwise intercepting of alpha pages is a violation of federal law.
 

Hoseman292

Member
Joined
Aug 30, 2003
Messages
122
Location
39.019986,-77.01298
1. Contact Arch Wireless to purchase a pager. LINK: http://content.arch.com/products/index.html

2. There are a few websites which offer dispatch information. LINK:
http://www.breakingnewsnetwork.com/subscribe.html

*** If you're a member of a P.G. department, you should be able to have your pager programmed to page on your company's capcode within CAD.

Good luck,
Tim

SmallBrownBass said:
Lot of topics about pagers.

i got a question myself.

i would like to get an alphanumeric pager.

i want it to work with a pg county firestation. i really dont know what im looking for when it comes to purchasing one. such as what kind i can get that will work with the station fire tones.

ive searched but really haven't found anything helpful
so any help and or recommendations would be appreciated.

thanks
-jason
 

jparks29

John McClane
Joined
Nov 20, 2003
Messages
845
Location
Nakatomi Plaza
I have one for sale too, brand new, alpha, give me the station number,and your county ID, and I'll program it to your specs....
 

gcgrotz

Member
Joined
Feb 21, 2006
Messages
2,093
Location
Charlottesville
I'm glad to see paging still alive and well. I worked in that field for 12 years. Still have friends there.

Here in the Charlottesville area the fire/rescue dispatches all go out on alpha pages in addition to the VHF tone outs. I beleive they are still using Arch or USAMoblie or whatever it is called now. I worked for a predecessor company and helped the sales guy set up that operation. Those were pre-PC and internet systems using a stand-alone dial up terminal. Now its all done via email. We got first word of the first WTC bombing via alpha page from NYC system.
 

jparks29

John McClane
Joined
Nov 20, 2003
Messages
845
Location
Nakatomi Plaza
PG county, as well as most other counties in the area, have their own paging system..that utilize space on county towers, the bad thing is, you have almost no coverage outside the county....
 

gesucks

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Dec 19, 2002
Messages
672
Location
Our Nation's capitol
Not Again

jparks29 said:
PG county, as well as most other counties in the area, have their own paging system..that utilize space on county towers, the bad thing is, you have almost no coverage outside the county....
And as all should be aware, since PG's paging system is privately owned, programming a pager to intercept and decode these messages is illegal under federal law, both ECPA and new federal Terrorism laws.

jparks29 said:
I have one for sale too, brand new, alpha, give me the station number,and your county ID, and I'll program it to your specs....

USE CAUTION, THE PROGRAMMING OR POSSESION OF ONE OF THESE PAGERS IS ILLEGAL UNLESS AUTHERIZED BY PG COUNTY (THIS MEANS YOU MR. PARKS)
 

jparks29

John McClane
Joined
Nov 20, 2003
Messages
845
Location
Nakatomi Plaza
gesucks said:
And as all should be aware, since PG's paging system is privately owned, programming a pager to intercept and decode these messages is illegal under federal law, both ECPA and new federal Terrorism laws.




USE CAUTION, THE PROGRAMMING OR POSSESION OF ONE OF THESE PAGERS IS ILLEGAL UNLESS AUTHERIZED BY PG COUNTY (THIS MEANS YOU MR. PARKS)
hence, the requirement for county ID, county ID=authorized user, as the paging system is for notification of county personnel.....

Thanks Jason ;)

pagers not programmed with frequencies/capcodes are not illegal, INTENTIONAL interception of paging communications(same goes for cellular/cordless phones) that you're not authorized to rx is a violation of federal law.......

programming pagers for use is not illegal, using them is (kinda bassackwards, I know).... the newer breed of pagers is hand-programmable,in freq. , baudrate, and capcodes, however they only do flex OR pocsag, not both.....
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top