More Protest in Downtown Louisville

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charlie1068

Premium Subscriber
Today there were also using event 2 and 4 for things related to the protests but not 100% what it’s purpose is

mricketts

Premium Subscriber
And they could be assigning them based on functions/tasks. Logistics may be on one channel, operations on another, etc.
Just heard on Event 1 that it is being used for "off duty" and channel 3 (Event 3?) is being used for "on duty". Also heard that it's the "off duty" that is patrolling "the downtown area".

mricketts

Premium Subscriber
I think she was referring to Dispatch 3 as the "on duty" that is patrolling downtown (1st/2nd divisions). So I guess Event 1 would be those that wouldn't have normally been working a downtown detail, but were called in for the "protests". Anyway, that's my interpretation. If I hear anything else pertinent, I'll post.

pjscott51

Premium Subscriber
At first I was scanning all the event channels. But when I stated hearing traffic on event 2 and 7 I used one scanner for event 1 and another to scan all the other event channels. After doing this I didn't hear much of anything on 2 or 7 but event 1 was rocking.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Interesting how there is concern about streaming of the radio traffic, yet the police are playing a recording of the radio traffic of this morning's police involved shooting.

An argument can be made that availability of radio traffic goes hand in hand with transparency.

pjscott51

Premium Subscriber
I watched a video yesterday talking about how so many cities are starting to encrypt channels since going digital. I agree with the author of the video when he said there are channels that should be encrypted but any channel that is used for dispatching should be in the clear.

mastr

Interesting how there is concern about streaming of the radio traffic, yet the police are playing a recording of the radio traffic of this morning's police involved shooting....
There is a significant difference in having system traffic indiscriminately available to the general public, and playing a recording after it has been reviewed beforehand. I can easily see why the former is undesirable to many agencies.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I was part of the group involved with the layout of the MetroSafe system. There wasn't any pushback or dissent from the law enforcement side on having their main dispatch channels in the clear. Yes all the tactical/investigation/narc/etc. talkgroups are encrypted (which is sensible). So my "take" is LMPD has a willingness to be transparent.

Charlie1068

Premium Subscriber
They moved to TG 1 or TAC 3 I had a stream going I took it down I’m hoping I wasn’t the sole cause of it. If that is the case I apologize in advance for causing this to happen

pjscott51

Premium Subscriber
I wonder if LMPD discovered that someone was monitoring Event 1 and relaying the information to the protesters?

Status
Not open for further replies.