• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

More rehash of the SC4 file

merlin

Been struggling to get a low band Orion up 4 Mhz for the ham band. 2, SC4 files and can't get either to work.
I can get the frequencies into the personality but Programmer won't program the radio.
Actually seen one SC4 work ever and that was for my 900 Mhz E500.
Anyone have a low band SC4 they can get to me would be a help.
The radio firmware version is OG27400.
Besides being in the .PER folder, anything else tells Programmer to use the file ? the 'allow SC4 files is checked.
Programmer R20 BTW.
TYIA

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
I had several SC4 files that I modified for use on VHF, UHF and Lowband. The trick is once you write the radio, you cannot read that pers from the radio to make any changes in the future. If you need to make changes, you have modify the original pers and write to the radio.

N4VGW

Here you go. The First one Moves 35-50 MHz to 39-54 MHz for Amateur use.
The second Moves The Base frequency to 45mhz from 35mhz. Rename the .txt back to .sc4

Attachments

• Orion35-50+4_amateur_offset.txt
    741 bytes · Views: 29
  • Orion35-50+10_amateur_offset.txt
    292 bytes · Views: 19

merlin

Here you go. The First one Moves 35-50 MHz to 39-54 MHz for Amateur use.
The second Moves The Base frequency to 45mhz from 35mhz. Rename the .txt back to .sc4
Thanks. I have those and the ones I tried. Both didn't seem to do anything.
I started with a blank personality, had the "allow SC4 files" ticked. The .per file and SC4 file in their own directory,
(did I overlook anything ? )
Wrote to the radio, and still T/R on the same frequencies I made up.
My hunch is the address field (3rd field) is not correct with my firmware.
That can give me 16 experiments to play with. I don't see where this can hurt the radio.
Be a help if I had a map of this.
73s

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
You have to go under "General Options" and point to the correct SC4 file.

You'll also have to adjust the VCO as every one that I have done required tuning to keep the receiver locked.

Last edited:

merlin

You have to go under "General Options" and point to the correct SC4 file.

You'll also have to adjust the VCO as every one that I have done required tuning to keep the receiver locked.
General options is done.
I have had to modify both VCOs on the rangers going 10 Mhz, that works.
The Orion going up 4 Mhz rarely needs a VCO tweak to lock, some few cases excepted.

merlin

Well, the world caved in on me, first, no joy playing with the SC4 files.
With my E500 900 Mhz, this worked first shot and trying the same procedure.
New problem is something is muting the audio before it leaves the brick.
My rather expensive watt meter has now quit. (compare to Bird 43 with dual slugs)
Try to run Maintenance and for what ever reason can't find the license key. (won't start)
Maybe time to go clear outside the "Harris Box" . I did this years back with a Delta SX, and put legs on it, I can make it dance the Tango.

merlin

OK, found the problem, My bench supply failed sending 21 volts to the radios.
Set up a new SMPS for replacement, now the radios are back to working normally.
Tried the 6 meter +4 SC4 and now that worked. this was one of those cases where I had to tweak the VCOs to get them to lock. TX power is strong, no overheating and the receive sensitivity seems even better.
So, I am sort of back in the running and want to say thanks to those that helped.
PS: here is the new supply in operation, yea, that little box on top of the repeater supply.
Twice the punch as the Aerotron.

Attachments

• IMG_20211126_072825.jpg
    IMG_20211126_072825.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 17

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
Good deal. I have not run into a lowland Orion that would lock in the entire 6M band. Some would lock up to 52, but none would go all the way to 54 without tuning.

merlin

Good deal. I have not run into a lowland Orion that would lock in the entire 6M band. Some would lock up to 52, but none would go all the way to 54 without tuning.
Yea, I might guess 8 out of 10 need no adjustments, this particular one did.
I couldn't get TP 201 below 8 volts locked though. Just as well as it still locks down to 34 Mhz.
I am just glad getting hit with 21 volts didn't take out the radio.
73s

Last edited:

N9PI

Premium Subscriber
I had several SC4 files that I modified for use on VHF, UHF and Lowband. The trick is once you write the radio, you cannot read that pers from the radio to make any changes in the future. If you need to make changes, you have modify the original pers and write to the radio.
Any SC5 files written for 900mhz Harris M5300? Ron N9PI