More STARS questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
What talk groups were you hearing? I'm hearing nothing like that in the Richmond area.

It was a combination of things. First off I started grabbing RIDs back when DGIF wasn't encrypted. I also was grabbing RIDs off the CR units who would pop up on the VSP channels which were what they were using for comms for the longest time. They seem to have given up their DCR channels.

Also during that situation the units were also operating on the Alleghany Warm Springs analog repeater communicating with the county sheriff.

So as an example CR931 would tell Allegany he was going to inform their dispatch of something. Then immediately after that DGIF 4 would pop up with traffic. The RIDs would be for CR 217 and the DGIF dispatcher. Put two and two together and you could figure it out. DGIF out here are all encrypted 99% of the time though.

Add in that the 400 DGIF unit that was identifying as a 900 unit on the county radio and DGIF was referred to by name by the county dispatcher it made it easier. The officer used to be an Alleghany sheriff deputy who went to DGIF and now is apparently a DCR officer.

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. Somehow I missed your question.

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
They’re probably selectable. I’ve caught unencrypted comms on the Chesapeake ones.
I agree selectable. I hear them all the time unencrypted or partially encrypted with some officer encrypted while others not. There was only one unit I ever heard who was always encrypted and that was actually on a VSP channel not the tac or surv channels. Don't know what the issue was but often the dispatcher had to relay what he said as no one else could copy him.

LeSueurC

IBEW Local 50
Premium Subscriber
I agree selectable. I hear them all the time unencrypted or partially encrypted with some officer encrypted while others not. There was only one unit I ever heard who was always encrypted and that was actually on a VSP channel not the tac or surv channels. Don't know what the issue was but often the dispatcher had to relay what he said as no one else could copy him.
If I’m not mistaken, I think the Troopers that are on Tac Team are the ones who have selectable encryption

BigLebowski

Premium Subscriber
Tac Team is selectable, Surv are also but almost always run encrypted when used if you hear stuff on the surveillance channels its user error.

As radios are getting reprogrammed, Tac Team/Surveillance/etc are getting strapped secure.

N4VKF

Premium Subscriber
I am hearing VSP Division 7 on VA Mcall 7 Talkgroup 6146. This must be some sort of patch. I am not sure if this started with the tanker truck accident the other day or not. I am using two scanners and hear no traffic on the previously designated Talkgroups Fairfax 1,2, or 3. I am listening on the Thornburg site.

Anyone have any info on this?

N4VKF

Premium Subscriber
Anyone hearing any DCR units on DCR talkgroups after the dispatch change to DGIF? Here in spotsylvania the so is encrypted so I can't determine if they use the spotsylvania p25 system.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

waynes

Premium Subscriber
Heard recently:

A tech working to connect VSP Richmond to "Richmond 911'. Each base was heard.

A unit on VSP referred to as MDA XXX (forgot the number)

A dispatcher in Richmond tell units that Channel 2 would be "D102" for a bit.

Any thoughts?

waynes

Premium Subscriber
Heard recently:

A tech working to connect VSP Richmond to "Richmond 911'. Each base was heard.

Any thoughts?

Also heard (in Buckingham County): Salem VSP 2 on Parks law enforcement 6.

Can anyone shed any light on these instances?

BoxAlarm187

Level 6 RR Member (Since 1998)
Premium Subscriber
Heard recently:

Any thoughts?

MDA had a large fundraising bike ride last weekend, most likely a trooper assigned to that detail.

D102 is the positions in the comm center where the dispatcher is sitting. It lets the field units know which terminal to send MDT messages to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kb4cvn

Silent Key
Nowhere near a paved road, away from the maddening
The day prior to the original day of festivities in Charlottesville, I was hearing TACTEAM3 users chatting on the drive up from Divison-3 (Appomattox) to C'ville. It was roughly 50/50 secure vs. clear voice comms, with users unaware (because of auto-select encryption mode) who was secure and who wasn't.

My humble guess is most LEO comms on STARS is user selectable encryption.
I have not personally observed any talkgroups which are forced-on encryption (Moto lingo = strapped) so far.

But sadly, I assume that in the future that will change.

waynes

Premium Subscriber
MDA had a large fundraising bike ride last weekend, most likely a trooper assigned to that detail.

D102 is the positions in the comm center where the dispatcher is sitting. It lets the field units know which terminal to send MDT messages to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. I'm not exactly sure of the letters used in the unit ID (MDA) but that's the best I could make out. This was on a Tuesday about 3 p.m.

Have heard a lot of DMV and a few ABC, but not much else.

Status
Not open for further replies.