Morgan and Athens county

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffy

I live near the Athens county line in Morgan county so Athens and Morgan are my top counties for scanner listening. I'm retired from the morgan Hwy. dept. and enjoy listening to my old workmates struggling in the ice and snow LOL!. I miss the "easy" snows but not the super slick ones or the ice. I know the departments in the more level counties such as Franklin have to deal with a lot of traffic when doing snow removal but there is nothing in my opinion like snow removal in the hill country. I was very fortunate (lucky really) to have never had an true accident in my time. I can't count the times I spun out on a hill or slid sideways on ice over the years. Once I did atleast two and a half 360's only to stay on the road. I've seen guys roll'em over, hit cars and so on. The only reason I didn't was PURE luck. Anyway, enough of that. As I stated above I enjoy listening to my scanner... however, with the introduction of MARCS I can no longer hear the Morgan county Sherriff or the Athens police. I miss that. Here soon I'm going to buy a digital scanner and remedy that problem. In the meantime I have a question or two about MARCS and what I might hear on MARCS in Athens and Morgan counties other than the Morgan sherriff and Athens police. Are there other agencies in Athens and Morgan on MARCS? I can probably find out Morgan's on my own as I know some of the folks. Also, anyone else here listen to Athens and/or Morgan county on the scanner?

Jeff
Pro 94
Pro 89
Pro 60
Pro 84
BCT 15

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
jeffy said:
In the meantime I have a question or two about MARCS and what I might hear on MARCS in Athens and Morgan counties other than the Morgan sherriff and Athens police. Are there other agencies in Athens and Morgan on MARCS? I can probably find out Morgan's on my own as I know some of the folks. Also, anyone else here listen to Athens and/or Morgan county on the scanner?

Jeff;

Welcome aboard.

I live in Pickaway County and can sometimes hear Athens County SO and Fire from home (antennas in the attic) but not often; I do listen to them when I travel to the area which I do from time to time; I spent 4 years at OU in the early 80s and still have friends in the area. I attend the Athens hamfest every year, also...

As far as what you'll hear, no one in Athens County uses MARCS for day-to-day operations. Everything is mostly VHF high band there. SEOEMS does have backup talkgroups.

Monroe County SO is on MARCS, but you'll still hear fire/EMS on VHF as well as MARCS, in addition to OSP and various state agencies including ODNR. Depending on where you live, you may be able to receive more than one MARCS tower and thus be able to receive more than you would from just a single tower.

Hope that helps.

W8UU

Pilot of the Airwaves
Premium Subscriber
Athens Police vacated 154.725 and is now using 151.3025 MHz. It's a fairly high profile system with multiple receive sites throughout the city and the transmitter is on a 270 foot tower on Peach Ridge near the WXTQ FM radio tower. Athens Fire still uses 154.265 MHz. Both are repeaters. Athens County is totally VHF High band and almost everything is a repeater system. MARCS -- for those who have it -- is only a backup system.

Rick Callebs, W8UU

jeffy

scanners, etc.

I noticed those Athens changes Rick. I live out here on 78 near the Burr oak lodge.

I finally bought a Pro 96 so I could listen to the Morgan county sheriff and fire/EMS. Late Friday and Saturday nights are the busiest at closing time for the beer joints. Seems to be more "domestic" trouble too on the weekends.

Anyone have an idea when the Athens Hamfest takes place?

Jeff ... Burr oak

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
I noticed those Athens changes Rick. I live out here on 78 near the Burr oak lodge.

I finally bought a Pro 96 so I could listen to the Morgan county sheriff and fire/EMS. Late Friday and Saturday nights are the busiest at closing time for the beer joints. Seems to be more "domestic" trouble too on the weekends.

Anyone have an idea when the Athens Hamfest takes place?

Jeff ... Burr oak

Sunday, April 26.

Status
Not open for further replies.