BCD325P2/BCD996P2: Morris County 700 Simulcast System Issues

XD45man

So I recently got back into scanning and realized I was getting nothing from the NJ Morris County System. Going to the data base showed me they went to P25 Phase II which explained it. I reprogramed my BCD996P2 and still can't hear anything. I went over all the setting that I have for the NJICS P25 Phase II system, which I can get just fine and hear the state police, and made sure the Morris county system was setup the same. Double checked the database and site frequencies but can't get anywhere. I read a bunch of posts here and played with the P25 threshold and dropped squelch to 0 but still nothing. Firmware was updated to most recent as well. Everything came in fine when it was the old P25 Phase I system on both my BCD396XT and the BCD996P2, now I get nothing. Does anyone know how to get this to work?

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Make sure you've programmed only the 700 MHz simulcast, not the UHF simulcast (which is only carrying public works now). You only need the talkgroups that have "700" in the category names.

Even with all of that, the 996P2 will likely have trouble with the simulcast, as do most scanners that weren't designed to handle the modulation properly. You might need to try the various tricks to improve decoding. Do a search for "simulcast distortion" and you'll find no shortage of threads referring to the issue. At the end of the day, the 996P2 may not be able to reliably decode the system. Another member is very close to the Randolph subsite, and yet his 536HP has a lot of trouble decoding the 700 MHz cell, even after trying all of the tricks. His Unication G5 sitting right next to it decodes perfectly.

Reactions: wtp

wtp

try the old rabbit ear antenna dance from over the air TV days.
up, down, 45 degrees, flat, paperclip for an antenna, different table, different room, different house, drive to the tower..
some were added for effect.

XD45man

Just 700 simulcast freqs and 700 talk groups programmed in system. If I hold on a control channel I see the talk groups pop up but no audio. Think I might just buy a SDS 100 or SDS 200 and sell some of my current scanners.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Just for the heck of it, try experimenting with turning attenuation on for the site, especially if you're showing a strong signal. Sometimes that helps. Is the scanner at home/stationary? Are you using the telescoping antenna that came with it, or connected to an outdoor antenna? If the telescoping, try collapsing it almost fully. If an outdoor antenna, switch to the telescoping and see if that helps.

XD45man

Scanner is at home. I have the telescoping antenna on it at the moment but I can hook it up to an antenna on my roof and try that as well. I'll play around with the antennas and attenuation as I do have a strong signal. I'm on a hill and can get NYC from my house so I can pick up a lot from my location.

tvengr

Well Known Member
So I recently got back into scanning and realized I was getting nothing from the NJ Morris County System. Going to the data base showed me they went to P25 Phase II which explained it. I reprogramed my BCD996P2 and still can't hear anything.
Are you using programming software?

XD45man

Turning on attenuation just makes the scanner search for control channel. Played with telescoping antenna with no effect. Hooked it up to my roof antenna and started to get locks on channels. Saw some data transmissions on police channels and got some audio on MC fire 1. I'll try listening further hooked up to my roof antenna which seems to have helps. Did put a hold on Police D6 and saw data and enc transmissions go across, no audio.

ind224

Is this another masterpiece from BC that does not allow one to actually hear the CC while fine tuning for a lock/ acceptable decode?

tvengr

Well Known Member
Using FreeSCAN to program.
Give this FreeSCAN file a try. Save the attached zipped file to your computer and extract. Open the extracted file with FreeSCAN and Upload Programming. Quick keys as follows:

SYSTEM QUICK KEY:
1. Morris Simulcast
GROUP QUICK KEYS:
1. Morris Services
2. Morris Interop
3. Morris Emerg Ops
4. Morris Fire/EMS
5. Morris EMS/Hosp (Future?)
6. Morris Police

Attachments

• Morris Co NJ FS.zip
    2 KB · Views: 13

XD45man

I uploaded the system into the scanner, now working and getting voice calls even on stock antenna. Still has some voice distortion but that's expected.

Is there any difference in program as P25 standard system (XT only) versus Mot Type II/P25 in FreeSCAN? I originally just changed the programed system through the front inputs before getting around to copying the system from the file you sent, seemed to work that way as well.

For these new P25 Phase II TDMA systems that everyone is switching too, should I be only programing in the control channels? Seems like this might be part of my issue as the scanner is looking at more frequencies then needed.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I uploaded the system into the scanner, now working and getting voice calls even on stock antenna. Still has some voice distortion but that's expected.

Is there any difference in program as P25 standard system (XT only) versus Mot Type II/P25 in FreeSCAN? I originally just changed the programed system through the front inputs before getting around to copying the system from the file you sent, seemed to work that way as well.

For these new P25 Phase II TDMA systems that everyone is switching too, should I be only programing in the control channels? Seems like this might be part of my issue as the scanner is looking at more frequencies then needed.
Just program the frequency control channel for the tower you want to monitor, along with only the Talk Groups you want to monitor. Don't load everything for the entire county.

tvengr

Well Known Member
For the BCD996P2, both the System Type and Site Type should be P25 Standard (Digital XT) for a P25 system.. My file has only the 4 control channel capable frequencies. The quick keys enable you to listen to only what you want to hear. For example: If you don't want to monitor Morris Services, just press the scroll knob and then 1 while scanning the Morris County system to turn off group quick key 1. Here is a PDF file which will answer all of your questions about using quick keys:

Attachments

• Uniden Scanner Quick Key Instructions DMA.pdf
    14.4 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

SHU21

Give this FreeSCAN file a try. Save the attached zipped file to your computer and extract. Open the extracted file with FreeSCAN and Upload Programming. Quick keys as follows:

SYSTEM QUICK KEY:
1. Morris Simulcast
GROUP QUICK KEYS:
1. Morris Services
2. Morris Interop
3. Morris Emerg Ops
4. Morris Fire/EMS
5. Morris EMS/Hosp (Future?)
6. Morris Police
Hi I have a UNIDEN BCD396XT using FreeScan as well uploaded your file but still no luck after upload. Does my scanner support? Any settings I need to check? Appreciate your help!

XD45man

Hi, you must update to a BCD996P2 (base) or the BCD325P2 (handheld) scanner to get the newer P25 Phase II systems. Unfortunately the older digital scanners will only support the P25 phase I systems.

I barely use my 396XT anymore and I am thinking of selling it and getting the BCD325P2 instead so I can have a handheld Phase II scanner.

SHU21

Would the SDS100 work? Is that a better scanner and easier to program for phase 2 systems? Is it worth the additional $$

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
Would the SDS100 work? Is that a better scanner and easier to program for phase 2 systems? Is it worth the additional $$
As I alluded to you here, the SDS series scanners were designed to mitigate the effects of simulcast distortion. There is a bit of a learning curve to it, the memory architecture & operation is considerably different than your 396XT