Morris County Comm Center

Status
Not open for further replies.

slingshot202

Feed Provider
I have been monitoring the Morris County Comm Center and I have my list of whose who in MC on this P25 system, but, on Police 5 it says that Morristown and Morris Twsp should be radio ID 24xxx an 22xxx however I am seeing RID's beginning with 57 and 52.

Have those two towns updated their RID's?

Thanks.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
For the PDs above:

221xx are Morris Twp mobiles
241xx are Morrristown mobiles

522xx are Morris Twp portables up to 52249
52250 starts Morris Minutemen EMS
52260 starts Morris Twp Fire

The mobiles are 55475-55487

524xx are Morristown portables up to 52449
52450 starts Morristown EMS
52460 starts Morristown Fire

The mobiles are 55541-55556

Here is the big BUT....the county originally had a basic line up, but as things started to expand over the years and they took on more agencies, you will see units scattered.

For example, 55921 and 55922 are Morris Twp PD units while 55923 through 55926 are Fire and then 55928 is Minutemen EMS. So don’t strictly go by the UID.

Then they started using the 57’s.
57401-57449 are Morristown PD portables.
57450 starts Morristown EMS
57460 starts Morristown Fire

Then they stared using the 22xxx and 24xxx Twp IDs first. Gives you more room when you take that 5 away as the first digit.

The newer IDs seem to follow a better pattern. I’ll take Netcong as an example. 28100’s are PD, 28500’s are EMS, 28600’s are Fire. So two digit Twp code, the agency type, then unit.

The older Netcong would be 5 then 28 then the two digit ID vs a three digit ID. 52801-49 PD, 52850-59 EMS, 52860 and up Fire.

See the patterns.

Last edited:

RocketNJ

All the ones starting with 5 are carryover from the old 4.1 system digital ID's. Anything new being assigned will start with the town number (22 & 24 for Morris Twp and Morristown). The exception are towns with single digit town numbers such as Boonton Twp (42 instead of 02). Reason is 42 is more discernable over the air than "zero two". Dover is 49. Chathams 44 & 45. Chester 47.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
FYI I don’t know if any of the old Chester Boro radios converted over after they merged with the Town, but all the new ones I’m assuming should be 47 now for PD.

KDD904

Correct. Although newer FD starts w/46 from before PDs merged. Rocket's & APX config correct as long as current scheme does not conflict with older legacy #s. Eventually all will start with 14 (Morris) for radios on state system as well. Original MIRS deployment in 2005 started with 55001 and went consecutively.

slingshot202

Feed Provider
Well look at that, more information available other than I am wrong....thanks for the input.

I totally see how adding agencies could screw things up. I did not think I was to crazy, though, there is always a chance.

RocketNJ

Yeah the individual ID mapping is a little messed up since the original system was supposed to be for interop only and not dispatch of individual towns. As older radios are replaced the replacement radios will follow a scheme that makes sense :)

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Eventually all will start with 14 (Morris) for radios on state system as well.

Exactly. I like the approach Morris is taking. On their County system they are using 5 digit IDs:

2 digit agency code, then
100 and up PD
500 and up EMS
600 and up Fire

Anything after 50 is a portable

So again, on the County system 28101 would be a Netcong PD mobile. 28501 would be NC EMS mobile. 28551 would be an EMS portable. 28603 would be a Fire mobile.

On the State NJICS they become 7 digit:

Now on the State, while they all follow the municipal ID prefix (for the most part) the rest can sometimes be a mish mosh where one ID is a mobile followed by a portable on the next. Morris is doing it right.

Hello all, I am new to the forms and Radio ref. I have recently moved to Morris County and I am having trouble with getting anything from the programming I uploaded to my BCT396XT with latest firmware. I downloaded Morris County from Radio Ref. Both locations, on the list, I also loaded the NJ State Police systems.The NJ Troopers data works great,I get a lot of activity and have drilled it down to the Morris County area. I have not gotten a peep out of any of the County apco25 data. Any suggestions?

Markscan

Premium Subscriber
The 396xt is not the best choice for this system. Get an SDS100 or 200. They work great.

NParkNJ

On the Road
It’s definitely location that matters with any scanner. But, with any LSM system, location alone I’ve found to be the make or break.

I have had a 396xt, 996xt, and had no trouble at all listening to Morris County. I’m not even in Morris County.

I’m in Passaic County. Full bars on an extendable BNC antenna.

Check the settings, make sure the control channels are programmed in(only the red, since this is a Motorola system,) make sure the squelch is set to 1 or 2(I prefer 2), and should be good to go.

Any questions, PM me. I’d be happy to help.

Nick

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
I have had a 396xt, 996xt, and had no trouble at all listening to Morris County. I’m not even in Morris County.

I’m in Passaic County. Full bars on an extendable BNC antenna.
Being outside of the intended coverage area is actually often an advantage with LSM/H-DQPSK simulcast systems, as your scanner/receiver may only be capturing one subsite. Contrast that with being inside the coverage area where the signal from multiple subsites is intended to overlap in order to provide seamless roaming and some coverage redundancy if a subsite should malfunction. Kind of ironic in a crappy way for many whose scanners struggle with their hometown systems.

Check the settings, make sure the control channels are programmed in(only the red, since this is a Motorola system,)
All identified control channels should be programmed. That includes both red and blue. Doesn't matter who manufactured the system.

NParkNJ

On the Road
Being outside of the intended coverage area is actually often an advantage with LSM/H-DQPSK simulcast systems, as your scanner/receiver may only be capturing one subsite. Contrast that with being inside the coverage area where the signal from multiple subsites is intended to overlap in order to provide seamless roaming and some coverage redundancy if a subsite should malfunction. Kind of ironic in a crappy way for many whose scanners struggle with their hometown systems.

All identified control channels should be programmed. That includes both red and blue. Doesn't matter who manufactured the system.

Good point on that GTR! Forgot about alternates...

bctool+ is what I am using. the free version, that is what I used to load the morris county info on Radio ref database. under New Jersey, Morris County as well as the Morris County database listed with the waveform beside it. All I have received is a few tone outs for some FD's. I understand radio comm, just have been out of the industry since I worked with Motorola Arlington Heights, during the SMR development days (1980) moved over into PC development and networking. thanks for any help!

Thanks Nick! I had the squelch set at a 6 for the Dallas Ft Worth area, oooops. Set it to a 2 and bang it does not shut up now. What a rookie mistake.
tvenger, thanks for your offer for some programming. I would love to see what I may be missing. I am now setting up the city's that are not on the county system around Parsippany to Dover.

Status
Not open for further replies.