Morris County Locution dispatch

Status
Not open for further replies.

rr60

Premium Subscriber
Way to go for high volume dispatching which they most certainly are. I am hearing both 775 (dispatchers voice) and 10 (CAD voice).

ansky

Locution sounds great. Very easy to understand. Some of the live dispatchers talk so fast you can't even make out what town they are dispatching.

K2NEC

Locution sounds great. Very easy to understand. Some of the live dispatchers talk so fast you can't even make out what town they are dispatching.
Funny you should mention that because I wish locution was a little bit faster.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Has anyone checked to see if TG 10 is being simulcast on an analog resource? 472.950 in the area of the Comm Center might be a good place to start.

ansky

It seems that locution is not always in use. This afternoon I have heard a lot of calls come over the main paging TG but not on the locution TG.

K2NEC

Anyone been hearing it recently? Seems to have gone dark

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Last transmission on TG 10 was at 11:55 on the 18th.

K2NEC

Just heard them active again today. I guess it's selective or they are still playing around with it

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Unless they assigned TG 10 to a TG/MG Site Access Profile that has the simulcast cell in the List of Included Requested Sites, the talkgroup will only be active when a subscriber is affiliated with it.

The default behavior for ASTRO 25 systems is to not assign a traffic channel to talkgroups that have no subscribers affiliated, even if a console is transmitting. So yes, a dispatcher can key up on a TG, and the system will not assign a traffic channel unless at least one subscriber is affiliated with that particular TG. This can become an issue with some talkgroups, in particular paging, when it comes to scanning. If you want the talkgroup to always get assigned a traffic channel even if no radios are affiliated, you have to make sure it's in a Site Access Profile setup for just that scenario.

rr60

Premium Subscriber
It is difficult to have an original idea. However if I were reprogramming my Locution and system I would consider what other systems have done.

Two talkgroups for Locution Paging. One TG includes the two tone sequence, the other TG strips the tones and is message only.

Makes for easy listening for subs and still provides alerting.

Rocket?

RocketNJ

Unless they assigned TG 10 to a TG/MG Site Access Profile that has the simulcast cell in the List of Included Requested Sites, the talkgroup will only be active when a subscriber is affiliated with it.

@GTR8000 - Morris is a single site simulcast system. No IR or other simulcast subsites. Reason for not hearing at times is it is still in testing and may not be online at times.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
@GTR8000 - Morris is a single site simulcast system. No IR or other simulcast subsites. Reason for not hearing at times is it is still in testing and may not be online at times.
Yup, aware of that. My point was that if no subscriber is affiliated with an ASTRO 25 talkgroup, then it won't key up any repeaters, even when the system consoles are transmitting. Trust me, been there, done that with a paging TG. Had to force it to broadcast even with no subscribers affiliated. No matter how many times the MCC 7500 consoles were keyed up, no traffic channel was assigned until we did so. Note that I was speaking in general terms regarding how an ASTRO 25 system behaves, not giving a definitive answer as to how you have TG 10 setup on 4BA.

RocketNJ

Yup, aware of that. My point was that if no subscriber is affiliated with an ASTRO 25 talkgroup, then it won't key up any repeaters, even when the system consoles are transmitting. Trust me, been there, done that with a paging TG. Had to force it to broadcast even with no subscribers affiliated. No matter how many times the MCC 7500 consoles were keyed up, no traffic channel was assigned until we did so. Note that I was speaking in general terms regarding how an ASTRO 25 system behaves, not giving a definitive answer as to how you have TG 10 setup on 4BA.

Got it. Morris is set up to require site 5 which is the simulcast system to avoid exactly what you describe.

Status
Not open for further replies.