Morris County & the new BCD436HP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fizz306

Premium Subscriber

very much looking forward to your report of reception once you are deep in the county and receiving multiple towers at once. thanks for the update, Scott.

BIODTL1997

Premium Subscriber

Lookin good! Where are you and what's the antenna setup?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

W2SJW

Database Admin
Washington in Warren County. That recording was made on a 6" 1/4-wave UHF antenna.

I'm currently laying in bed with my 3" 800MHz stubby on it, and the decode is still better than 98%. My 396 was never able to do that.

Next on the list is 3 new Laird monoband tuff-duck antennas (the ones with the covered connectors).

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via Tapatalk 4

BIODTL1997

Premium Subscriber

Wow that's crazy considering I can't get anything but the sysID to decode in Montclair with my 996xt on a discone 30' in the air!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

n2pqq

Premium Subscriber
I hear nothing with my HP 1.

On a side note the talk groups below have tags that are not available to be scanned by any of the HP
radios.
Please correct me if I am wrong.

Morris Interoperable Radio System (MIRS) Talkgroups

1025 401 D MIRS-1 Countywide Interop Interop
793 319 D OEM OEM Emergency Ops

nosoup4u

Feed Provider
I only messed with my 536 for a short time last night, however I did notice an improvement on the control channel. The HP & 996 would constantly bounce from 0 to 3 bars. It seems more steady now, about 2-3. I will be doing more testing later today.

Just for reference, I am about 5 miles farther west of the Morris border than Scott.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
very much looking forward to your report of reception once you are deep in the county and receiving multiple towers at once. thanks for the update, Scott.

+2. My PSR-800 does "OK" on the system but I'd like to see better. Lets see how the Uniden performs once that CQPSK-LSM starts slamming the receiver from multiple directions.

W2SJW

Database Admin
I was able to replicate a good approximation of a 'worst-case scenario' on my drive to Kearny today with the Morris system - I put the unit into real-time record mode, and left it running from Wharton to Parsippany on I-80. The recording was taken with my high-gain UHF BNC, while sitting in the cupholder of a moving vehicle.

The results were outstanding. When I make the video later, you also get the joy of not having to listen to any dead-air spaces in the recording!

Sybex7254

My BCD536HP is "supposed" to be delivered tomorrow sometime so I'm hoping I can go back to being able to use my roof Scantenna to receive the County P25 as well as everything else. Currently I cannot receive the County TRS and I'm only 2.5 miles from the antenna on Mooney Mt.

That being said I am impressed with the audio in the video of the BCD436HP. I am able to receive the system fine on my BDC396XT and HP1 with stock antenna's so not sure if I will get the BCD436HP yet but if the BCD536HP works as I hope...there will be a BCD996XT listed on eBay shortly!!

markjrenna

WOW! Nice! I'm in Morris county all the time. Was the reception bad with the included antenna? Can you tell me the high-gain UHF BNC antenna you have?

KC2ZHY

Feed Provider
As promised, here's the recording I made this morning. I started at about the Wharton/Rockaway border & went until I got down the bottom of the hill in Parsippany near the Rt. 202 exit:

Uniden BCD436HP Performance - Morris County Public Safety - LSM Test #2 - YouTube

That sounds amazing! Now I really want one!

If I may request: Phase II decoding test w/ video on Somerset County's site 004. I believe the only full-time TDMA talkgroups are the Hillsborough PD ones.

Last edited:

W2SJW

Database Admin
I tried to do that yesterday for you guys on my drive back from my last service call in Old Bridge. Can you believe the entire time I was going up I-287 to I-78 west, they only transmitted twice...

KC2ZHY

Feed Provider
I tried to do that yesterday for you guys on my drive back from my last service call in Old Bridge. Can you believe the entire time I was going up I-287 to I-78 west, they only transmitted twice...

Wow, really? I remember on 841 they would hardly be silent! It's eerie not hearing them currently. I intend to change that once I strike it rich and purchase me one of these fancy thingamajiggers.

W2SJW

Database Admin
If I work the service call I have in Piscataway tomorrow, I will do it then.

I honestly think they sound somewhat overmodulated, compared to all the county road dept traffic I heard yesterday on the NJICS. That sounded downright awesome...

Edit - I totally realize that it's an apples-to-oranges comparison, but it seems that the NJSP REMU guys have gotten the TX audio DSP configuration down to almost a science on the APX radios they program...

Last edited:

W2SJW

Database Admin
Phase-II reception on the NJICS is flawless. I have had numerous chances to listen on site 001 and 002, and you can't even tell the difference from FDMA P25. I'm currently recording Hillsborough PD on the Somerset 700 P25 site & hope to have some fruitful results to show later.

I was really concerned that the whole drive from the Readington area on I-78 down to my service call in Piscataway produced not a single peep out of them...

Status
Not open for further replies.