Morris County TRS sites

Status
Not open for further replies.

W2SJW

Database Admin
The 'sites' & 'zones' of this system are not one in the same. The 4 zones that make up the system are correctly shown in the database, and then the info in the text block of the site itself shows which tower sites are part of which zone.

I'm sorry if I can't be more help about your reception issue, but I've never tried to listen to the system from where you are at. I get the system from where I am here in Somerset County like gangbusters...

RocketNJ

You should be listening to the north simulcast site or south simulcast site from where you are at. I would think you should be picking up the north site stronger, unless you are down around the Rt 46 corridor.

Even though the south simulcast site is 5 tower sites, it is programemd into a scanner as one site.

Be careful with the XTS listening on the system! Not sure where you got the system key but if it affiliates it WILL get zapped! Then you will have a nice paperweight.

Feel free to post your scanner archive file and I'll review it. Also make sure your scanner has the latest firmware upgrade. The Uniden 396/996 scanners work quite well with latest firmware.

BIODTL1997

Premium Subscriber
no worries, just scanning the control and voice channels, I know the rules :eek:)

I'm on 46. The North system comes in a little bit better than the south. I see there is a site in Boonton, closest in proximity to me. I'm guessing that's the east zone. I'll get those plugged in and see if that helps.

Thanks guys, I also found this which is a great write up!

http://www.wc2em.net/scanner/MorrisCounty.pdf

rmosier

I've been wondering for a while now if I need to monitor all four zones in order to hear all of the traffic. I'm in Budd Lake, and receive the SOUTH SIMULCAST very well. If I monitor ONLY this site, will I miss anything?

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
North Simulcast Zone - tower sites at Kinnelon, Jefferson and Boonton

South Simulcast Zone - tower sites at Randolph, Chester, Morristown, Dover and Netcong

There are also intellirepeater sites in Washington Twp (Southwest IR) and Long Hill Twp (Southeast IR).

If you are in Mountain Lake the Boonton site should slam in there. If you are driving northbound on 287, pass 80 and look to the left in about a mile. I believe it's the tower up on top of the mountain behind the DD plaza in Boonton.

In case you are wondering what an intellirepeater is:
An IntelliRepeater is a trunked repeater with built-in capabilities to perform the trunking functions without the need for a site controller. Any IntelliRepeater at a site can provide this capability if a station was to fail. This eliminates the need for central controllers at every site, while still providing full system capabilities

rmosier

So.... To assure complete coverage of the Morris TRS, while trying to scan as efficiantly as possible, I only need the NORTH and SOUTH repeaters? ( My shacks in Mt. Olive).

RocketNJ

If you receive the south system ok, then scan only the south. About 98% of the calls are covered on both north and south systems simultaneously (not to be confused with simulcast :)

Status
Not open for further replies.