Morris Plains (Morris County)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Read in today's paper that Morris Plains will be Dispatched by Morris County starting in January, along with the Chester's.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Read in today's paper that Morris Plains will be Dispatched by Morris County starting in January, along with the Chester's.

What was the final word on Washington Township? Did they sign an agreement as well. I know there were talks. Does this include Morris Plains Fire and Minuteman EMS as well? Morris Plains is currently dispatched by the PD....MM EMS is dispatched by both Morris Township and Morris Plains.

RocketNJ

No go on Washington. THey felt it would cost less to stay with what they have, even though they are losing the revenue from the Chesters.

County will take on exactly what Morris Plains dispatches for now. That means Minute Men will be co-dispatched by County and Morris Twp

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Interesting. I'm wondering if County will just throw their existing frequencies into the console or if the agencies will switch to the MIRS TRS.

I'm guessing if they switch, Morris Plains will be on MUN PD 1 with the Mendhams, Harding, Boonton Twp and Mt. Lakes...

I don't know if Chester would go to MUN PD 1 or 2...I would think they would put Chester and Mendham on the same talkgroup since they border each other.

SCPD

QRT
According to CityFreq, both MMM and MPPD have a Control Point listed for the Comm Center, for 155.28 and 470.60.

Last edited:

mopd090

According to CityFreq, both MMM and MPPD have a Control Point listed for the Comm Center, for 155.28 and 470.60.

Control Point? Morris Plains may use the County Tower at the Police Academy. I would look for some restructing of MUN PD 1, 2, & 3. If the Chesters come online, perhaps the Chesters & Mendhams will share 1 TG and Mt Arlington & Netcong will have another. There are 6 MUN PD dispatch TG's. They aren't listed in the DB yet since there is no activity on them yet.

We'll keep our ears open and MIRS on ID SEARCH comes Jan 1.

mopd090

Better yet, why not do what NJSP does (NORTH, SOUTH, WEST, CENTRAL) on different COMM's. Example:

PD-COUNTY Sheriff, Park Police, Prosecutor

PD-WEST Mendham Boro, Mendham Twp, Chester Boro, Chester Twp

PD-CENTRAL Mt. Arlington, Netcong, Rockaway Boro, Wharton

PD-EAST Boonton Twp, Harding, Mtn Lakes, Morris Plains

Each region could either have a OPS / TAC TG or have a simplex freq for local activities. Somewhat similar to how Somerset County LE does it. (DISP, OPS-1, OPS-2)

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
Checked the FCC database and found that the MMM added the Control Point for the Comm. Center to the license on 10/20/09. Also, MPPD added the Control Point for the Comm. Center on 10/15/09. This is for the transfer of the Dispatch.

Last edited:

kenisned

Premium Subscriber
Better yet, why not do what NJSP does (NORTH, SOUTH, WEST, CENTRAL) on different COMM's. Example:

Each region could either have a OPS / TAC TG or have a simplex freq for local activities. Somewhat similar to how Somerset County LE does it. (DISP, OPS-1, OPS-2)

This is how Fire/EMS should be also.

This idea of having Fire and EMS on separate TG's is dangerous and counter to interop.

There should be shared fire/ems talkgroups for dispatch and then separate tg's for tactical channels.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member

I agree. Since there are 6 MUN PD talkgroups, split by 3 regions and then add a TAC/CAR2CAR for each region if they are going to be tied up on an incident for a prolonged period. Sheriff, PP and Prosecutor already have their own CAR2CAR/TAC that they could switch to as well.

kenisnd said:
This is how Fire/EMS should be also.
This idea of having Fire and EMS on separate TG's is dangerous and counter to interop.
There should be shared fire/ems talkgroups for dispatch and then separate tg's for tactical channels.

Again, I agree. I don't think any fire or ems agency in Morris County is too busy to share a talkgroup. Some towns do this already (Hanover, Chatham, Denville), but the majority of time I see it is when the FAS/Rescue Squad/EMS etc is part of the FD. I like one frequency for all pages and then everyone calls in service, on scene, etc on a response/ops channel. Again, if it's a prolonged incident, that's what fireground channels are for. I hate hearing a fire chief pull up on the scene of an MVA, then tell the dispatcher all the info regarding the patient...then the dispatcher switches to the EMS frequency to relay everything. Waste of airtime...delay...information does not get relayed correctly.

So, I say take the MUN FD and MUN EMS talkgroups, and make them MUN FR (Fire-Rescue) EAST, WEST, etc and put Fire and EMS on it.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Also, I started alpha-tagging some of the Radio ID's on MIRS...see attached.

Attachments

• MIRS Radio ID list.txt
    4.3 KB · Views: 237
Last edited by a moderator:

SCPD

QRT

Eric, don't forget Warren Co. as well. They have PDEAST, PDSOUTH, etc.

Art112

I used to dispatch for Morris County in the 70's. We used a museum next to a Park Police substation on Mendham Rd. Can anyone tell me if the Ledgewood Tower still exists. We used to up link from the museum on an unused 60 or 70 mhg frequency and go out of the tower on 39mhz. Back then there were no pls used by the dispatch center we heard all kinds of skip. Stanford conn. ( hardly skip but...) was on the same frequency and we would radio them for Conn. DMV lookups ( they didn't use pl either) instead of calling the sheriffs for the dmv readup. I read these posts about the new system and wished they had had it years ago. We also dispatched Washington Twp. Warren county via phone line from the disp.center. Also had a remote hookup at Harding p.d. because there were sections of their township where ledgewood tower wouldn't pick them up their cars so we switched over to the P.D. station roof antenna.

Art/K2ADC

Last edited:

RocketNJ

The Ledgewood tower is now an empty lot. The building turned into a mouse house over the years. I wouldn't sned my enemy into it.

THe Kinnelon site in Silas Condict park is also decomissioned. That too was a mouse house.

Art112

Thanks for the info RocketNJ. I haven't been up that way in years.

Art/ K2ADC

leonzo

Premium Subscriber
Kec223

Hey Art112, I used to work for the Park Police in 1973,,,was usually 15 Frank. Name is Lee Williams, would be interested in communicating with you to see ifd we renmember each other. Feel free to send me a private messdage or respond back on this page.

Art112

Lee, I sent you a PM. I don't remember your name but I have some names in the PM you might remember. KEC223 brings back memories. I remember when we acquired 39.22 to get off the dispatch channel because of the Stamford Conn. interference. I told the Chief at the time that I could hear Nassau County P.D. in Long Island on 39.22.Sure enough they put that channel in and Nassau PD was clobbering the dispatch center. They decided to keep 39.22 as a local channel and kept the dispatch channel the same. Now days on Low band there isn't much out there locally
a few fire depts, trucks , and cab companies. This new trunked system sounds very efficient. Though like all trunk systems there is a lot of tweaking that has to be done.

Art/ K2ADC

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
ART112, i remember the Morris County Police Radio, located on Mendham Road. I would stop there every so often. 39.02 KEC-223, covered PD's in Morris and Somerset Counties.

N2SWD

KEC-223 from KJP-472

I dispatched in Hopatcong when we used to be 13 cars,and then we began the Sussex Morris regional radio network on 39.24. in the 70s. We handled Hopatcong Byram Stanhope Mt Arlington,Andover Boro and Green Allamuchy. We had a county radio on 39.02 and would call Roxbury(11 Cars and Mt Olive (9) cars for mutual aid. I hung out with Mark Turner when he dispatched at kec-223. It was not what I would call a high tech dispatch center with radios sitting on wood shelves,but that was the old days-lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.