Morse 'N' and 'A' on 10126kHz

Status
Not open for further replies.

AA1LL

Lately I've been hearing a strong signal on 10126kHz, letters N and A in Morse code. It sounds as if it is the old aircraft nav system where if you are on one side of the transmit antenna array you hear Morse 'N' (-.) and on the other side you hear the complementary letter, 'A' (.-). Any body else hear it? I tried a search on this website and google, but could not find anything.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Sounds like you got Single Letter High Frequency Beacons.....of course right smack in the middle of the 30m ham band (yeah I know it's supposed to be shared...) 73 Mike

AA1LL

Actually, I don't think so, MIke, but I could be wrong. I have heard those SLB's (Enigma MX) before also, and this is different. For one thing the signal is much stronger (in NH), RST 599 vs. 569 for the SLB's. Also the "off" condition of the keying is not completely "off" as if it were amplitude shift keying rather than on-off keying. The single letter beacons you are referring to are truly on-off keyed, i.e., they go away completely during the space interval whereas the signal I heard on 10.126MHz just goes to a lower amplitude, and is still there. I have heard both the 'N' and 'A' sent, and at times, there is no difference in amplitude.

Token

Lately I've been hearing a strong signal on 10126kHz, letters N and A in Morse code. It sounds as if it is the old aircraft nav system where if you are on one side of the transmit antenna array you hear Morse 'N' (-.) and on the other side you hear the complementary letter, 'A' (.-). Any body else hear it? I tried a search on this website and google, but could not find anything.

Is the nav system you are referencing possibly the Lorenz beam system? Latter developed into the Knickebein and X-Gerat systems in WW II? These are the closest systems I can think of to your description.

T!

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
While there isn't much on the UDXF list, a quick check does show some very old logs; FSK/Morse thought to be LRAF Moscow, and DGI Cuba (also V2a)

A check of the numbers/oddities Yahoo groups might shed more light on the subject - 73 Mike

majoco

Stirrer
Nuttin' heard here @ 0830z except the usual squeeks and crashes. Some Korean fisherman gargling with broken glass splattering all over the place but otherwise quiet!

Hooligan

ADF History

AA1LL

I happened to be on 30m today and heard the N/A signal again. Also was able to get some audio, and you might get some yuks over the picture of the old IC-745 tuned to 10.126MHz at:

www.qsl.net/aa1ll/11dec2010_1715z.mov
and
www.qsl.net/aa1ll/11dec2010_1718z.mov

The station was ID-ing in the first file but not enough SNR to copy well; now I'm thinking this could be a fellow ham's beacon. I'll try to filter it and report back what I get.

PresentedIn4D

Yes yes that was a thread I had recently posted. Looking into it more, it is a private air field in the middle of TN. Quite an interesting location for a NDB.

w4onc

N and A on 10126

Yes at first I thought the same thing. If you listen long enough it is a beacon. It gives a cal sign of W4SZE/B or WA4SZE/B QSB got me was playing tricks on me.

Joe
W4ONC

Status
Not open for further replies.