MOSAiC Multidisciplinary drifting Observatory for the Study of Arctic Climate - Weather Fax

Status
Not open for further replies.

shortwaver

Premium Subscriber
I just read about this expedition in the Latest Spectrum Monitor magazine. A group of scientists are taking part in this expedition in the Arctic in which an icebreaker is locked in the ice (on purpose) and is moving with the ice flow. A German weather office has set up a weather station that is transmitting on 15988.1 USB. I am picking it up well here in New England. I am trying to figure out what they are transmitting, and how I can view it. I am running SeaTTY but that is only showing noise on the fax view page. I am using an Icom IC-7200 and I believe the audio is being passed along to the computer correctly.

Can anyone else hear this signal, and have had any luck translating it?

Marc
W1MCX

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
It would be helpful to know at what time you're hearing this signal. It might be quite tough due to the proximity to the Arctic Circle.

Maybe it's sending telemetry and not FAX (which would make a lot more sense)? Did you check the SigIDWiki to see if the signal sounds like FAX?

Mike

shortwaver

Premium Subscriber
Hi Mike.

I heard the signal at around 8:00am EST today. That is a great site you mentioned, I'll check it out to see if anything sounds like it.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.