Most Active HF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haley

Wondering if anyone could point me to some of the more active HF military (or govt.) HF freq. or nets. I have the GHFS programmed in already. I also put 11.220 in, as I seem to catch quite a few patches to that freq. from my location.

I have gone through all the wikis, and used monitoring times top 1000 HF lists PDF (very good by the way). I am not a hardcore HF utility guy, but I am really starting to enjoy this type of listening. I am about 200 miles from Offutt, if that matters. I only have portables for this type of listening, I use a Kenwood TH-F6A with a telescoping antenna, and a DX398. Not the most ideal I know, but its what I have.

Just hoping to add a few more freq. to my radios. Thanks for any advice/help, Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Using a small handheld / portable does limit your options (even tho the F6A is sideband capable) - the issue here is the antenna. While the whip is fine for stronger signals, if you try to put too much wire on it, it will likely overload the radio. I would string up 30-35 foot or so - that would improve your chances.

But to be honest if you want to get into this game, save up for a SDR. There are a couple of relatively inexpensive ones such as the AFEDRI which appear to do well for this. Some SDRs even have a spectrum display (depending on what software you use) so you can literally point and click on the signal you want to hear. We have a dedicated Software Defined Radio forum and wiki page where you can learn more.

Software Defined Radio - The RadioReference.com Forums

Software Defined Radios - The RadioReference Wiki

If you were on the East Coast, I would recommend the various VOLMET stations (NY, Shanwick, Toronto) as they're relatively easy catches here. However, in the Plains, that might be a bit more tricky.

I'm sure someone from that area will jump in here, but if not, the place to be for utility stuff is the UDXF Yahoo group, along with its parent home page, which literally has LOTS of links to some very interesting stuff...

UDXF Yahoo Group

UDXF Home Page

Remember to take HF propagation into account here. The UDXF is a worldwide group, so there are some things that you won't be able to hear. But it will give you an easy way to see the wide variety of stuff that utility DX includes.

Mike

Haley

Mike, thanks for the information and links! I do really want to get into this aspect of the hobby more, and appreciate pointing me in the right direction. I will check out the links, and look into antennas. SDR radios look very interesting. Looks like I have got some research to do! Mike

SCPD

QRT
Wondering if anyone could point me to some of the more active HF military (or govt.) HF freq. or nets. I have the GHFS programmed in already. I also put 11.220 in, as I seem to catch quite a few patches to that freq. from my location.

I have gone through all the wikis, and used monitoring times top 1000 HF lists PDF (very good by the way). I am not a hardcore HF utility guy, but I am really starting to enjoy this type of listening. I am about 200 miles from Offutt, if that matters. I only have portables for this type of listening, I use a Kenwood TH-F6A with a telescoping antenna, and a DX398. Not the most ideal I know, but its what I have.

Just hoping to add a few more freq. to my radios. Thanks for any advice/help, Mike

Here are a couple favorites you really should have programmed in your radio.
USCG HF 5696 USB Night
USCG HF 8983 USB Day
Very active during search and rescue operations in the Atlantic. Enjoy!

Rob

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.